Why 2018 is 2010 and not 2014

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I 'think' the Cowboy faithful are in for a very pleasant surprise in the 2018 season...why do I think this? Because 2018 mirrors 2010 in so many ways. We lost our most prolific QB passer and offensive production in our history in both years (Robinson in 2009 and Rudolph in 2017). The Pokes were blessed with a great returning running-back and core o and d lines in both years (Hunter in 2010 and Hill in 2018). Oklahoma State Football was picked to finish 5th in the division in 2010 and 5th in the conference in 2018 preseasons.

Both teams were poised to start older somewhat unknown walk-on QB's with good size and arms who had languished on the depth chart for several years. Cornelius will be 23 in September (granted I'm hopeful on Cornelius as he's even more of an unknown than Weed was). Both teams were also breaking in new, physically imposing, receiving threats to take over for stars at the position who went on to the NFL in the prior year (Dez to the Cowboys and the President to Pittsburgh). Both teams were breaking in new coordinators, 2010 on offense and 2018 on defense. Both teams just completed a few seasons of their highest win totals consecutively in their history (9 wins in 2008 and 2009 and 10 wins in 2015, 16, and 17). What happened in 2010 was that the unmet expectations came a year later with another set of players at the helm...why was that? Perhaps complacency and entitlement of veteran squads? Bad luck? Coaching intensity? Who knows, but I think we are set up with a very similar year as 2010.

While these aren't the only similarities between these two teams going into the season, I think they are enough for you, as a fan, to get the impression that we could be in for something special. Certainly it's an educated guess, but this is not my first rodeo. I think these years are the years where coaches earn their money and prove their worth...as Gundy did in 2010 I'm expecting him to again in 2018.

Am I expecting too much? You be the judge...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
You bring up some really interesting points, but this season probably reminds me most of 2012.
1. We lost an NFL QB that was mentioned in the Heisman race prior to both seasons.
2. We lost a Biletnikoff award winning WR prior to both seasons.
3. Our best returning playmaker was an experienced RB in both season.
4. We went into both season not really knowing who our starting QB would be.
5. Maybe the biggest thing that reminds me of 2012 is Taylor Cornelius. He reminds me a lot more of Chelf than Weeden. Chelf had some talent, but you knew he didn't have a ceiling high enough to take you to where you wanted to go. I remember the first time I saw Weeden throw a ball. Anyone could see that he had a special arm and a ceiling a mile high.

I sure hope you're right though. If Cornelius explodes for a Weeden type season, we could have a really fun year. I would be content with Sanders showing the same type of promise Rudolph did during his Freshman season.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I 'think' the Cowboy faithful are in for a very pleasant surprise in the 2018 season...why do I think this? Because 2018 mirrors 2010 in so many ways. We lost our most prolific QB passer and offensive production in our history in both years (Robinson in 2009 and Rudolph in 2017). The Pokes were blessed with a great returning running-back and core o and d lines in both years (Hunter in 2010 and Hill in 2018). Oklahoma State Football was picked to finish 5th in the division in 2010 and 5th in the conference in 2018 preseasons.

Both teams were poised to start older somewhat unknown walk-on QB's with good size and arms who had languished on the depth chart for several years. Cornelius will be 23 in September (granted I'm hopeful on Cornelius as he's even more of an unknown than Weed was). Both teams were also breaking in new, physically imposing, receiving threats to take over for stars at the position who went on to the NFL in the prior year (Dez to the Cowboys and the President to Pittsburgh). Both teams were breaking in new coordinators, 2010 on offense and 2018 on defense. Both teams just completed a few seasons of their highest win totals consecutively in their history (9 wins in 2008 and 2009 and 10 wins in 2015, 16, and 17). What happened in 2010 was that the unmet expectations came a year later with another set of players at the helm...why was that? Perhaps complacency and entitlement of veteran squads? Bad luck? Coaching intensity? Who knows, but I think we are set up with a very similar year as 2010.

While these aren't the only similarities between these two teams going into the season, I think they are enough for you, as a fan, to get the impression that we could be in for something special. Certainly it's an educated guess, but this is not my first rodeo. I think these years are the years where coaches earn their money and prove their worth...as Gundy did in 2010 I'm expecting him to again in 2018.

I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You bring up some really interesting points, but this season probably reminds me most of 2012.
1. We lost an NFL QB that was mentioned in the Heisman race prior to both seasons.
2. We lost a Biletnikoff award winning WR prior to both seasons.
3. Our best returning playmaker was an experienced RB in both season.
4. We went into both season not really knowing who our starting QB would be.
5. Maybe the biggest thing that reminds me of 2012 is Taylor Cornelius. He reminds me a lot more of Chelf than Weeden. Chelf had some talent, but you knew he didn't have a ceiling high enough to take you to where you wanted to go. I remember the first time I saw Weeden throw a ball. Anyone could see that he had a special arm and a ceiling a mile high.

I sure hope you're right though. If Cornelius explodes for a Weeden type season, we could have a really fun year. I would be content with Sanders showing the same type of promise Rudolph did during his Freshman season.
I would only say that Cornelius reminds me more of a combination of Weeden and Chelf...He has the wheels of Chelf and has the size of Weeden (he is taller actually). But I think he's more like Rudolph in terms of running and passing than either of those other guys (Gundy says he's more athletic than Rudolph)...I must say I hope he's as good as any of them, because he's certainly a complete unknown coming from a tiny tiny town in West Texas. I still think this year is more like 2010 than even 2012...At least I hope it is.

stonewallpoke

Herald of the House of Soju
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Fort Riley, KS

I see what you're seeing, but I think 2012 is more like it. We could potentially start more than one QB as we did that year. @LS1 Z28 covered the other similarities. I would add that in 2010, we'd been steadily improving since Gundy had taken over 5 years prior, but with what we lost from the first good Gundy teams (Robinson, Dez, etc.), the mood was way more cautious overall. I may be mis-remembering it, but we hadn't built up a high expectation based on what the program could do by 2010. It wasn't until the 2010 club did well with a new group, and then the 2011 season happened, that expectations shifted higher and stayed there.

Hence, by the 2012 season, with Lunt as a big time recruit and a trophy on the shelf, we knew what we *could* achieve, and there was hope that we could recreate the magic. Then Lunt got hurt, Walsh and Chelf played musical QBs, and we dropped a few more games than people were hoping (Kansas State was great, champs even that year, and we got screwed against Texas).

So, it's easy to predict a double digit win campaign for this season because we know we can get it done. As for me, I'm cautiously optimistic. Having a question mark at the QB position is always troubling. It can either go down like it did in 2010, or it can go down like it did in 2012. The best I hope for this year is that it doesn't go down like 2014. I'll be good with 9 regular season wins as it stands right now. Hopefully I can look back and say I low-balled it, but right now, I'd call for 9.