Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Are you sure he recruited Kolar?? I thought that was before his time. I know he recruited Rudolph, who was well after Kolar, and that was clearly a good one. I know Starkel was the one he lost that kinda left this gap that Corn filled and necessitated Brown, but I don't know, seems you're being a bit harsh on that judgement.
Kolar was the year after Rudolph.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Yurcich was in charge of recruiting and coaching QB's. If an unrecruited transfer who was beat out at a lower division school and a walk-on are better than any of the QB's that he recruited/coached (Kolar, Sanders, Costello) why did we keep him around for 6 years when he was clearly not doing his job.
this nonsense talk simply has to stop. The "transfer" was NOT BEAT OUT... read the articles. And the "walk on" was a recruited walk on that needed to put on some weight - which he did.

Neither of those kids did not have talent, they were simply not yet have the physical development that schools want to see before offering up scholarships.

If you want to be fair and accurate, Corndog was NOT A WALKON when he beat out Sanders, he was a Senior scholarship player with multiple letters.

why are so many, so intent on badly misrepresenting what actually transpired?

I really do not understand the level of bad mouthing that is occurring.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
this nonsense talk simply has to stop. The "transfer" was NOT BEAT OUT... read the articles. And the "walk on" was a recruited walk on that needed to put on some weight - which he did.

Neither of those kids did not have talent, they were simply not yet have the physical development that schools want to see before offering up scholarships.

If you want to be fair and accurate, Corndog was NOT A WALKON when he beat out Sanders, he was a Senior scholarship player with multiple letters.

why are so many, so intent on badly misrepresenting what actually transpired?

I really do not understand the level of bad mouthing that is occurring.
beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah, I can imagine the frustration of both parent and child knowing how much better a QB you are than someone named Corndog.
Sanders was a huge get and he had to sit out his freshman year to get stronger and learn (or so that's the official Gundyism) while the whole, damn team struggled to find itself under Gundy's loyalty pledge.

Gundy screwed up this last season and he admits it. It's not Corndog's fault -- he played as well as he could, BUT (the big but) he was NOT the leader that a QB should be.it

I believe Sanders is that guy and it would be a mistake to not give him his shot at the QB position.

Even if Brown may be equal or better, I feel Sanders is owed the benefit of the doubt because he did what he was supposed to do: be loyal, be positive, be a leader.....and WAIT YOUR FREAKIN' TURN!

Brown is a transfer. Sanders signed with us. Plus, we have this 4-star, Cali kid waiting in the wings.
Gundy doesn't owe Brown anything, but he does owe Sanders and every other recruit that does what they're supposed to do an opportunity for their loyalty and hard work.

Then if they prove there is someone better at the position -- that's something each and every player is aware of.
You just have to hope our coaches are playing their best, proven players.
I disagree with this because, while I see some of your point, it's still up to Gundy to pick the guy he thinks is best for the team each year...Last year that was Corn, due to experience, size, readiness to play and a lot of other reasons. I actually think if he was still around we would be a better team as he improved as the year went on and by the end of it he was actually outstanding. Hell he's invited to the Packers mini camp and I'm hopeful he makes a team...he has the size and the arm and the ability to run. The problem he had was consistency not ability. Moving forward I think Gundy has proven, over time, that while he may not pick the best guy the first time...he always finds the right one over time.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I think people are trying way too hard to make a case for Brown based on what he did at Hawaii or how he looked in the Spring Game, which wasn’t even really a scrimmage.

Sanders was highly recruited and the Gatorade Player of the Year in Texas. If he is as good as we hope he is going to be, then he has to win this job.

Also, I remember lots of talk about how good he looked in spring practice, then he throws a pick in the Spring Game and Brown maybe looks slightly better in a 20 play sample size and people are jumping ship.

I’m thinking (hoping) Sanders starts and he plays very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I think people are trying way too hard to make a case for Brown based on what he did at Hawaii or how he looked in the Spring Game, which wasn’t even really a scrimmage.

Sanders was highly recruited and the Gatorade Player of the Year in Texas. If he is as good as we hope he is going to be, then he has to win this job.

Also, I remember lots of talk about how good he looked in spring practice, then he throws a pick in the Spring Game and Brown maybe looks slightly better in a 20 play sample size and people are jumping ship.

I’m thinking (hoping) Sanders starts and he plays very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you misread the thread, and folks are trying their best to needlessly disparage Brown in an attempt to prop up Sanders.

Frankly, I hope the guy that gives us the best chance to win is in the game.

I'm not interested in someone's feelings being hurt, or speculation about transferring, none of that

just win baby..... we need wins. Lots of wins.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I think you misread the thread, and folks are trying their best to needlessly disparage Brown in an attempt to prop up Sanders.

Frankly, I hope the guy that gives us the best chance to win is in the game.

I'm not interested in someone's feelings being hurt, or speculation about transferring, none of that

just win baby..... we need wins. Lots of wins.
No. People are fairly stating that if Spencer Sanders isn't better than Dru Brown then we are in trouble and unlikely to get many wins. We don't know what Sanders can/can't do when the lights come on. We've got two seasons of tape on Brown and it's pretty average against ostensibly lesser competition. But hey maybe he got significantly better during his year sitting out.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
No. People are fairly stating that if Spencer Sanders isn't better than Dru Brown then we are in trouble and unlikely to get many wins. We don't know what Sanders can/can't do when the lights come on. We've got two seasons of tape on Brown and it's pretty average against ostensibly lesser competition. But hey maybe he got significantly better during his year sitting out.
but.... the OP said this: "I think people are trying way too hard to make a case for Brown "

which is what I was talking about.

and people are UNFAIRLY stating that if Sanders isn't better than Brown, then we are in trouble.

It's unfair, and not one of those posters has any idea what Brown or Sanders might do and could do when under center in a Cowboy uniform.

I simply an not going to sit around and sulk about the Coach's decision, one way or the other. and I'm certainly not going to be swayed by some internet yahoo's who make outrageous claims about either players.

IMHO, your statements are flat outrageous.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
but.... the OP said this: "I think people are trying way too hard to make a case for Brown "

and people are UNFAIRLY stating that if Sanders isn't better than Brown, then we are in trouble.

It's unfair, and not one of those posters has any idea what Brown or Sanders might do and could do when under center in a Cowboy uniform.

I simply an not going to sit around and sulk about the Coach's decision, one way or the other. and I'm certainly not going to be swayed by some internet yahoo's who make outrageous claims about either players.

Are you stating that nobody is allowed to look at the available data and formulate their own opinion and then express said opinion?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

If anybody outside of your lord and savior Donald Trump sways your opinion it will be a damn miracle.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Are you stating that nobody is allowed to look at the available data and formulate their own opinion and then express said opinion?
I think I simply said that your opinion is unfair.

If you want to include misrepresented and unsupported, I'd be okay with that too.

an example would be the comparisons of how Brown performed on a Hawaii team, without also discussing the impact of the surrounding personnel on his "performance", and including the type of offensive system that was run. So many of the statements that were made are simply unfair.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
If anybody outside of your lord and savior Donald Trump sways your opinion it will be a damn miracle.
FAIL.

Thanks for the uncalled for bashing... I really enjoy nonsensical comments from the likes of you.

I am not a fan of Trump's, and Trump has nothing to so with our QB situation.

Thanks for playing, please try again.