Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Last season Texas Tech figured out our DC's defensive scheme and easily so. Every single time our defense lined up, Tech's then HC and his assistants quickly sent signals to their QB. Those signals were to inform their QB of whom to pass the ball to. And it worked brilliantly.

Last season I knew what they spotted and how they easily knew who the open WR would be.. it's so easy to spot based on alignment of two of our defenders. Basically, our DC had better disguised his schemes this upcoming season, or it's game over for the season.

Back to our offense. It is imperative for the offense to score and score nearly every time the offense has possession, because of how inept the defensive unit was last season.. I just don't think the defense will somehow greatly improve in such a short period of time. QB and offensive line play this upcoming season, is pivotal if we are to have a winning season.

Note: To all those people who blasted my post earlier in this thread.. grow up. Do you people behave in such a way toward other people in real life? Good grief.. this is a fan site.. we're all fans and rooting for the same OSU football program. How in the hell message board posters perpetually resort to such immature behavior, is beyond me.

May I respectfully suggest to grow up and mature. I absolutely will not ever reply to disrespectful replies of my posts.
Yeah, umm no. Tech is an air raid team. The coaches were not telling them where to throw.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I'm not sure Sanders remains if he doesn't play. His mother's tweets indicated family unhappiness at last years situation. You never know what HCMG is thinking about the QB position. His past record indicates that he often doesn't think along the lines of the majority of fans. In the end we just have to trust in his judgement.
Yeah, I can imagine the frustration of both parent and child knowing how much better a QB you are than someone named Corndog.
Sanders was a huge get and he had to sit out his freshman year to get stronger and learn (or so that's the official Gundyism) while the whole, damn team struggled to find itself under Gundy's loyalty pledge.

Gundy screwed up this last season and he admits it. It's not Corndog's fault -- he played as well as he could, BUT (the big but) he was NOT the leader that a QB should be.it

I believe Sanders is that guy and it would be a mistake to not give him his shot at the QB position.

Even if Brown may be equal or better, I feel Sanders is owed the benefit of the doubt because he did what he was supposed to do: be loyal, be positive, be a leader.....and WAIT YOUR FREAKIN' TURN!

Brown is a transfer. Sanders signed with us. Plus, we have this 4-star, Cali kid waiting in the wings.
Gundy doesn't owe Brown anything, but he does owe Sanders and every other recruit that does what they're supposed to do an opportunity for their loyalty and hard work.

Then if they prove there is someone better at the position -- that's something each and every player is aware of.
You just have to hope our coaches are playing their best, proven players.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I think, overall, HCMG has been a pretty good judge of talent. He may not always make the best choice at QB the first time but he tends to work it out over the course of a season and we end up with the best guy at the end of seasons. I'm hoping this season we get it "right" up front and actually pick the best guy going in. I'm sure it's NOT an easy choice to do that thought and I think we need to keep that in mind as fans going forward.
I tend to disagree because we know that the best judges of talent are we message board head coaches.
You'd think you'd know that by now.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Yeah, I can imagine the frustration of both parent and child knowing how much better a QB you are than someone named Corndog.
Sanders was a huge get and he had to sit out his freshman year to get stronger and learn (or so that's the official Gundyism) while the whole, damn team struggled to find itself under Gundy's loyalty pledge.

Gundy screwed up this last season and he admits it. It's not Corndog's fault -- he played as well as he could, BUT (the big but) he was NOT the leader that a QB should be.it

I believe Sanders is that guy and it would be a mistake to not give him his shot at the QB position.

Even if Brown may be equal or better, I feel Sanders is owed the benefit of the doubt because he did what he was supposed to do: be loyal, be positive, be a leader.....and WAIT YOUR FREAKIN' TURN!

Brown is a transfer. Sanders signed with us. Plus, we have this 4-star, Cali kid waiting in the wings.
Gundy doesn't owe Brown anything, but he does owe Sanders and every other recruit that does what they're supposed to do an opportunity for their loyalty and hard work.

Then if they prove there is someone better at the position -- that's something each and every player is aware of.
You just have to hope our coaches are playing their best, proven players.
this is the sort of old school Pat Jones line of thinking that really needs to stop.

They are all on the team. Nobody "deserves" anything that they have not earned. Doesn't matter if he was on the bench 3 years or transferred in. (Heaven forbid that Jalen Hurt doesn't start for the goons, for example)

everybody does get an opportunity... every single day in practice. There is no "wait your turn", if you're good enough to play, then get their butt on the field... like Lunt.

If Brown is better, then he better be under center. The team deserves that, the fans deserve that.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
this is the sort of old school Pat Jones line of thinking that really needs to stop.

They are all on the team. Nobody "deserves" anything that they have not earned. Doesn't matter if he was on the bench 3 years or transferred in. (Heaven forbid that Jalen Hurt doesn't start for the goons, for example)

everybody does get an opportunity... every single day in practice. There is no "wait your turn", if you're good enough to play, then get their butt on the field... like Lunt.

If Brown is better, then he better be under center. The team deserves that, the fans deserve that.
If Brown is better then it also means we held onto Yurcich waaayyyy too long.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
you haven't even seen them play yet.... Gundy use to say the same thing about Weeden, didn't he?
Weeden was talented coming out of HS and physically and mentally mature as a late 20 something year old.

Brown I've watched 4 complete games, enough to see that he throws the ball off his back foot and a year redshirting didn't correct that before our spring game. He's serviceable, but average at best. We can win w/ average, but it also would mean Sanders was below average if he's a starter. Costello is a true freshman and wasn't highly regarded, its highly unlikely he's even remotely close to being ready and still a large chance he never starts a game at OSU.

Jan 14, 2006
I have very severe doubts that an unrecruited 24 year old is better than the Texas High School Player of the Year.
The best QB in school history was an unrecruited 28 year old and he sat behind a 4 star (for a half) for the same reasons you guys are arguing we should skip over Brown.

You owe it to the rest of the team to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win each game.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The best QB in school history was an unrecruited 28 year old and he sat behind a 4 star (for a half) for the same reasons you guys are arguing we should skip over Brown.

You owe it to the rest of the team to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win each game.
He was unrecruited because he played professional baseball.

Brown was unrecruited because he wasn't good in high school.

Sanders, by pretty much every measure, gives us the best chance to win on the field.

This is a Daxx Garmin vs. Mason Rudolph argument... not a Weeden vs. Alex Cate argument.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Weeden was talented coming out of HS and physically and mentally mature as a late 20 something year old.

Brown I've watched 4 complete games, enough to see that he throws the ball off his back foot and a year redshirting didn't correct that before our spring game. He's serviceable, but average at best. We can win w/ average, but it also would mean Sanders was below average if he's a starter. Costello is a true freshman and wasn't highly regarded, its highly unlikely he's even remotely close to being ready and still a large chance he never starts a game at OSU.
He was highly regarded enough to get an offer to Georgia... the rest I agree with.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO

It's already been said that neither one of these guys (Sanders nor Brown) have separated themselves. No one knows who gives us the best chance to win. But, when it's time for someone to go out and play QB for the first game, all things being equal, I'd start the kid that signed with us and has waited his turn.

If you get a transfer like Jalen Hurts and you know he can ball, then it's pretty damn obvious the guy should start.
Brown is no Jalen Hurts apparently.

I believe we can all agree that we'd like to see them both in a live game or two to see if it's obvious to us, the fans, as well as the coaches.

Last year was very frustrating not being able to see what kind of talent we had other than Corndog.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
It's already been said that neither one of these guys (Sanders nor Brown) have separated themselves. No one knows who gives us the best chance to win. But, when it's time for someone to go out and play QB for the first game, all things being equal, I'd start the kid that signed with us and has waited his turn.

If you get a transfer like Jalen Hurts and you know he can ball, then it's pretty damn obvious the guy should start.
Brown is no Jalen Hurts apparently.

I believe we can all agree that we'd like to see them both in a live game or two to see if it's obvious to us, the fans, as well as the coaches.

Last year was very frustrating not being able to see what kind of talent we had other than Corndog.
This is even more frustrating because you could play them in up to 3? 4? games without costing a redshirt.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Would you mind explaining your train of thought here?
Yurcich was in charge of recruiting and coaching QB's. If an unrecruited transfer who was beat out at a lower division school and a walk-on are better than any of the QB's that he recruited/coached (Kolar, Sanders, Costello) why did we keep him around for 6 years when he was clearly not doing his job.

Nov 6, 2010
Yurcich was in charge of recruiting and coaching QB's. If an unrecruited transfer who was beat out at a lower division school and a walk-on are better than any of the QB's that he recruited/coached (Kolar, Sanders, Costello) why did we keep him around for 6 years when he was clearly not doing his job.
Are you sure he recruited Kolar?? I thought that was before his time. I know he recruited Rudolph, who was well after Kolar, and that was clearly a good one. I know Starkel was the one he lost that kinda left this gap that Corn filled and necessitated Brown, but I don't know, seems you're being a bit harsh on that judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.