Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Seems that Sanders was either the top ranked player or QB his senior year in the State of Texas and basically could have gone anywhere. I believe he committed to OSU early and Yurcich recruited him. Now Yurcich is gone and rarely do you hear much in the media about Sanders now. If Sanders was as good as expected there would be no questions or threads about who the starter would be.
Of course you don’t hear much now. It’s the off-season. The media is writing about other sports. That’s why we discuss stupid stuff during the summer. We’re bored.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
FIFY. It was much better toward the end of the season after it gelled.
First 5 games against FBS opponents: 416.4 YPG, 29 ppg

Remaining 7 games: 505.7 YPG, 36.3 ppg

First half of just conference play: 455.4 YPG, 36.6 ppg

Second half of conference play + bowl: 543.4 YPG, 37.6 ppg.

I'm not sure what metric you are using to say our defense was better in the second half of the year.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
First 5 games against FBS opponents: 416.4 YPG, 29 ppg

Remaining 7 games: 505.7 YPG, 36.3 ppg

First half of just conference play: 455.4 YPG, 36.6 ppg

Second half of conference play + bowl: 543.4 YPG, 37.6 ppg.

I'm not sure what metric you are using to say our defense was better in the second half of the year.
We played the toughest teams in the conference in the last part of the season. I may be wrong, but I think we held them below their seasonal averages.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Sanders could be really good, or he could be a bust. He's likely in the middle somewhere. Average to good. We can win a lot of games w/ average to good. If he exceeds that, great. If he doesn't win the job, he was below average.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
We played the toughest teams in the conference in the last part of the season. I may be wrong, but I think we held them below their seasonal averages.
Texas:
Vs OSU: 402 yds, 35 pts
Avg: 411 ypg, 31.1 ppg

Baylor:
Avg: 459 ypg, 29.5 ppg

OU:
Vs OSU: 702 yds, 48 pts
Avg: 570 ypg, 48.4 ppg

WVU:
Vs OSU: 553 yds, 41 pts
Avg: 512 ypg, 40.3 ppg

TCU:
Vs OSU: 423 yds, 31 pts
Avg: 368 ypg, 23.5 ppg

Mizzou:
Vs OSU: 637 yds, 33 pts
Avg: 482 ypg, 36.6 ppg

So Missouri is the only opponent we held under their season average for points by more than a point. And Baylor the only one we held below on yards by more than a first down.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Texas:
Avg: 411 ypg, 31.1 ppg

Baylor:
Avg: 459 ypg, 29.5 ppg

OU:
Vs OSU: 702 yds, 48 pts
Avg: 570 ypg, 48.4 ppg

WVU:
Vs OSU: 553 yds, 41 pts
Avg: 512 ypg, 40.3 ppg

TCU:
Vs OSU: 423 yds, 31 pts
Avg: 368 ypg, 23.5 ppg

Mizzou:
Vs OSU: 637 yds, 33 pts
Avg: 482 ypg, 36.6 ppg

So Missouri is the only opponent we held under their season average for points by more than a point. And Baylor the only one we held below on yards by more than a first down.
Were we worse against teams in the first half of the season? Maybe it was all relative. It just seemed like the defense was better in the second half.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Were we worse against teams in the first half of the season? Maybe it was all relative. It just seemed like the defense was better in the second half.
South Bama:
Vs. OSU: 214 yds, 13 pts
Avg: 355 ypg, 24.2 ppg

Boise
Vs. OSU: 414 yds, 21 pts
Avg: 460 ypg, 35.4 ppg

Tech
Vs OSU: 621 yds, 41 pts
Avg: 485 ypg, 37.3 pts

KU
Vs OSU: 368 yds, 28 pts
Avg: 351 ypg, 23.8 ppg

ISU
Vs OSU: 465 yds, 48 pts
Avg: 371 ypg, 26.8 ppg

KSU
Vs. OSU: 421 yds, 31 pts
Avg. 345 ypg, 22.5 ppg

So I guess you're right in conference play we went from a complete dumpster fire to just regular trash. I think beating UT, WVU, Mizzou, and almost beating OU makes it look a little better as well.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
South Bama:

Boise

Tech

KU

ISU

KSU
Avg. 345 ypg, 22.5 ppg

So I guess you're right in conference play we went from a complete dumpster fire to just regular trash. I think beating UT, WVU, Mizzou, and almost beating OU makes it look a little better as well.
Winning cures all.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
South Bama:

Boise

Tech

KU

ISU

KSU
Avg. 345 ypg, 22.5 ppg

I think this gets at what could be a bigger question than who plays QB. Will our defense be any better? We’ve had no consistency on that side of the ball. Not that anyone else in the Big XII has cracked that but yet.

Probably a good topic for another thread.

Oct 29, 2016
US
I think this gets at what could be a bigger question than who plays QB. Will our defense be any better? We’ve had no consistency on that side of the ball. Not that anyone else in the Big XII has cracked that but yet.

Probably a good topic for another thread.
Last season Texas Tech figured out our DC's defensive scheme and easily so. Every single time our defense lined up, Tech's then HC and his assistants quickly sent signals to their QB. Those signals were to inform their QB of whom to pass the ball to. And it worked brilliantly.

Last season I knew what they spotted and how they easily knew who the open WR would be.. it's so easy to spot based on alignment of two of our defenders. Basically, our DC had better disguised his schemes this upcoming season, or it's game over for the season.

Back to our offense. It is imperative for the offense to score and score nearly every time the offense has possession, because of how inept the defensive unit was last season.. I just don't think the defense will somehow greatly improve in such a short period of time. QB and offensive line play this upcoming season, is pivotal if we are to have a winning season.

Note: To all those people who blasted my post earlier in this thread.. grow up. Do you people behave in such a way toward other people in real life? Good grief.. this is a fan site.. we're all fans and rooting for the same OSU football program. How in the hell message board posters perpetually resort to such immature behavior, is beyond me.

May I respectfully suggest to grow up and mature. I absolutely will not ever reply to disrespectful replies of my posts.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Last season Texas Tech figured out our DC's defensive scheme and easily so. Every single time our defense lined up, Tech's then HC and his assistants quickly sent signals to their QB. Those signals were to inform their QB of whom to pass the ball to. And it worked brilliantly.

Last season I knew what they spotted and how they easily knew who the open WR would be.. it's so easy to spot based on alignment of two of our defenders. Basically, our DC had better disguised his schemes this upcoming season, or it's game over for the season.

Back to our offense. It is imperative for the offense to score and score nearly every time the offense has possession, because of how inept the defensive unit was last season.. I just don't think the defense will somehow greatly improve in such a short period of time. QB and offensive line play this upcoming season, is pivotal if we are to have a winning season.

Note: To all those people who blasted my post earlier in this thread.. grow up. Do you people behave in such a way toward other people in real life? Good grief.. this is a fan site.. we're all fans and rooting for the same OSU football program. How in the hell message board posters perpetually resort to such immature behavior, is beyond me.

May I respectfully suggest to grow up and mature. I absolutely will not ever reply to disrespectful replies of my posts.
Please explain in detail what you were looking for.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
FIFY. It was much better toward the end of the season after it gelled.
Agree with this, plus the corner's were way more aggressive near the end once they got comfortable with the system and our secondary as a whole will be (gulp) the strongest part of our defense for next season - haven't been able to say that since 2011 or 2013.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Sanders could be really good, or he could be a bust. He's likely in the middle somewhere. Average to good. We can win a lot of games w/ average to good. If he exceeds that, great. If he doesn't win the job, he was below average.
huh? OR...... he was average to good, and the other guy was above average....

there are other options.... maybe even, he is good and the other guy is exceptional.

we're fixing to find out

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Over the last few games of the season, the defense played better in the 2nd half of games.
I assume you mean played better than they did in the first half of games?

That's true they did give up fewer points on average in the second half than we did in the first half. But we also gave up significantly more points overall and especially in the first half.

Season Avg:
1st Half pts. allowed: 16.7
2nd Half pts. allowed: 17

First 6 games (throwing out Missouri St.)
1st Half: 14
2nd Half: 16.3

Last 6 games
1st Half: 19.3
2nd Half: 17.8

The defense really didn't gel at all last year. As of right now Knowles was a bad hire.

What also needs to happen is cleaning up all the penalties. We were 115th in penalty ypg.

The average penalty ypg for the NCAA was like 53ish. We had exactly 4 games where we had less than 53 yards in penalties (just so happens those were also our best games; Boise, Texas, OU, WVU). We also had 4 games over 80 yards in penalties and 2 over 100. That can't happen again.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
huh? OR...... he was average to good, and the other guy was above average....

there are other options.... maybe even, he is good and the other guy is exceptional.

we're fixing to find out
Brown and Costello are not exceptional. If Sanders is Average to Good, he starts. Brown is average at best, Costello is green between the ears.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma

The time of possession was like 18 minutes for OSU in the Tech game, talk about figuring out a scheme the Tech defense had us pegged It was embarrassing how terrible the offensive coaching was in that game. Knowles defense is designed to get off the field quickly either by making the team punt or having the other team score but really the goal is to get the ball back to the offense and rest then beat teams in the 4th when your D is more fresh. You can't do that with 18 minutes of possession, no defense can really. For me its not about scoring as much as having sustained drives we averaged for the year somewhere around 5-6 plays per drive last year, if you want to be successful that number needs to be above 8. It's about managing the team not focusing on offense or defense and placing blame. Gary Patterson could write a short report on Yurcich's offense because he knew what was going to happen before the play started.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Blasted?
Holster that pistol, Cowboy, you were simply asked where you heard our new OC insinuate that Brown was the leader.
I ask again. Do you have any link to such statement?