Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
I didnt miss the point- you are trying to exaggerate your bizarre disdain for a university. I get it, hyperbole is the name of the game online, it's nothing I havent seen 1000x times before.

I didnt choose OU, it was chosen for me. I just saw them on tv every week as a kid, there was nobody else to watch, osu wasnt on tv very much. And being a kid in this state, who enjoys watching football, it kind of made sense to root for the local team who is on tv every week. Weird, I know, right? Why didnt I ask ma and pa about the lack of the orange team on the tv? Why wasn't I curious enough to go listen on the radio to all their games so i could soak it all in and orangify myself? That's one of life's greatest mysteries. I guess since OU stank so bad at the time, I didnt really have any incentive to want to root for an even stinkier turd that i couldnt see on tv.
Sooooo...

Stockholm?

Such a lame excuse heard all over this state. Parents had season tickets down there...I paid attention to the so called fans. Honestly, most of them are fans of the fake trophies than the actual university or the kids that play there. It was easy to figure out which university to choose by the time I reached HS.

Nov 6, 2010
actually only 1 3-n-out in the 3rd quarter... our first possession, and we still had the lead.

They stopped Hill on 2 consecutive runs, like the KState quote I posted earlier.

If they stop the run, and force us to pass, what in the hell gives you any inkling that we shouldn't then double down with our best passer - and not gamble on guys who have never even thrown a pass - while the game is still on the line.....

stop already - it's insane talk... flipping insane.
How many points did we score in that game again??

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I love how a thread about our current quarterback becomes a useless argument about what could have happened LAST YEAR. None of that matters, if one or both had been given mop up duty we'd still have a quarterback battle going on now.
#usualsuspects

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm so desperate for football I'm actually watching videos of coach speak. In another week or 2, I may be wearing one of those stupid shirts where the Canadian flag is farting.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I love how a thread about our current quarterback becomes a useless argument about what could have happened LAST YEAR. None of that matters, if one or both had been given mop up duty we'd still have a quarterback battle going on now.
#usualsuspects
You forgot a second hashtag
#outroll

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
#usualsuspects
maybe if you actually read some of the other posts.... he is claiming that Sanders should have been put in for the entire 4th quarter of the KState game (i.e., not mop up duty).

do you believe that would have been helpful to 1) the outcome of that game, or 2) Sanders capabilities? (and/or several other games where allegedly he could have gotten meaningful reps)

Nov 6, 2010
#usualsuspects
Well, I guess you're right about it not mattering now, but it is still the offseason, so.... Anyway, the whole argument got me thinking about Corn and last year's offense in general. If they started well, they seemed to be good the whole game, but if they started poorly, they only seemed to get worse. Only game I can remember where they came out in the second half and improved was Baylor, and that still wasn't enough. I wonder how much of that was Corn, whole offense, game plan??? Just the strangest team/season I can ever remember.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
Well, I guess you're right about it not mattering now, but it is still the offseason, so.... Anyway, the whole argument got me thinking about Corn and last year's offense in general. If they started well, they seemed to be good the whole game, but if they started poorly, they only seemed to get worse. Only game I can remember where they came out in the second half and improved was Baylor, and that still wasn't enough. I wonder how much of that was Corn, whole offense, game plan??? Just the strangest team/season I can ever remember.
Not to argue the point but, WV & TCU fall in this category. I remember the WV game especially because of the "sad panda" papa Grier shots at the end of the game. Hehe...

What is this thread about again?:D

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Stupid penalties hurt us more LAST year more than anything.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
maybe if you actually read some of the other posts.... he is claiming that Sanders should have been put in for the entire 4th quarter of the KState game (i.e., not mop up duty).

do you believe that would have been helpful to 1) the outcome of that game, or 2) Sanders capabilities? (and/or several other games where allegedly he could have gotten meaningful reps)
#usualsuspects
I read all the posts in this thread, point still stands, and no matter what I believe you'll still come up with some ridiculous argument against it...

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Spencer Sanders handing the ball to a RB in the 4th qtr of a blowout is meaningless in that it tells the coaches nothing about his ability to run the offense under game pressure - which is the real issue in determine a starting QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree. No need to just hand it off and do nothing else. Besides, your team will get blown out sometimes too. Cant just hand it off every play then can you? Some guys dont have the chops to play at all, even against lesser competition. Some guys have what it takes, they dont show it in practice as well, but they ball out on saturdays. Others are just practice heroes and fold on gameday with 80k in the stands. Unlike in practice you can lay licks down on the qb, so you get to see him in competition when he's a target, going up against unfamiliar defense, in a game environment that you just cant simulate in practice. How does he react under real pressure, or after making a bad play, does he have command of the offense, is he confident after throwing an int, does he check off or stare down his favorite wr? Lots of good stuff can be learned in mop up duty. dont pretend you cant. It's good business to see what you got in a player, especially in games that have already been decided, especially when it doesnt cost him any eligibility.
Give me 3 examples in the last ten years where a coach just held a QB tryout in the middle of a game when it mattered.

BTW, it’s not good business or every coach on every team would do it every year.

Moron.

Oct 30, 2007
Playing meaningless downs is, well, meaningless.

Re-playing 2018 in the rear-view mirror is easy............but kinda stupid.

I dont think any down is meaningless for somebody who hasnt played one yet. For a myriad of reasons. There's also nothing wrong with some constructive criticism, and evaluation of what went wrong so you can be better.
Spencer Sanders handing the ball to a RB in the 4th qtr of a blowout is meaningless in that it tells the coaches nothing about his ability to run the offense under game pressure - which is the real issue in determine a starting QB.

And that is why you put them in and run the offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Give me 3 examples in the last ten years where a coach just held a QB tryout in the middle of a game when it mattered.

BTW, it’s not good business or every coach on every team would do it every year.

Moron.

Firstly, I'm not talking about a tryout, never even said that once. Talking about throwing a young player out there to see what he's got, give him a few plays to feel things out. Or a few series. With the new redshirt rule, it happened a bunch last season. I Also never mentioned anything about playing when it matters. If you cared to actually pay attention to my posts, i was talking about playing in mop up duty. So yes, it's good business in certain circumstances. Like, the circumstance i described in my above post. "It's good business to see what you got in a player, especially in games that have already been decided, especially when it doesnt cost him any eligibility.". So yeah you wont be having a bunch of examples of this behavior because the new rule wasnt in effect yet.

Also good on you to get emotional and get with the name calling.

Sooooo...

Stockholm?

Such a lame excuse heard all over this state. Parents had season tickets down there...I paid attention to the so called fans. Honestly, most of them are fans of the fake trophies than the actual university or the kids that play there. It was easy to figure out which university to choose by the time I reached HS.
Thanks, i was giving you an honest thoughtful reason why I became a college football fan, why i like the team I do, and you call it lame. Tough crowd. Not stockholm, they were just the team on tv. But the OU teams i saw for the first time as a child were terrible. I didnt know anything about the history, my parents had no clue, we're not from this state originally. I'm the only one in my family who watches football and OU was on tv. That's it, it's really as simple as that for a little kid. So unlike you it wasnt a choice for me, it was just the way it was. Sometimes i think osu fans have little man's syndrome. Like they go out of their way to hate on the university and their fans because they like something you hate.. I dont care that much bro, it's just a rivalry. You guys get too emotional. I was just trying to talk football.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Firstly, I'm not talking about a tryout, never even said that once. Talking about throwing a young player out there to see what he's got, give him a few plays to feel things out. Or a few series. With the new redshirt rule, it happened a bunch last season. I Also never mentioned anything about playing when it matters. If you cared to actually pay attention to my posts, i was talking about playing in mop up duty. So yes, it's good business in certain circumstances. Like, the circumstance i described in my above post. "It's good business to see what you got in a player, especially in games that have already been decided, especially when it doesnt cost him any eligibility.". So yeah you wont be having a bunch of examples of this behavior because the new rule wasnt in effect yet.

Also good on you to get emotional and get with the name calling.

Thanks, i was giving you an honest thoughtful reason why I became a college football fan, why i like the team I do, and you call it lame. Tough crowd. Not stockholm, they were just the team on tv. But the OU teams i saw for the first time as a child were terrible. I didnt know anything about the history, my parents had no clue, we're not from this state originally. I'm the only one in my family who watches football and OU was on tv. That's it, it's really as simple as that for a little kid. So unlike you it wasnt a choice for me, it was just the way it was. Sometimes i think osu fans have little man's syndrome. Like they go out of their way to hate on the university and their fans because they like something you hate.. I dont care that much bro, it's just a rivalry. You guys get too emotional. I was just trying to talk football.
Give me one example of where your beloved Coach Brony has ever used a backup qb like that....you can't.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I would like to see Sanders start unless there is a serious gap between he and Brown in favor of the latter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.