Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
why Sanders and not Brown?

what good, honestly, would that have done other than tickle your fancy? A gaggle of snaps and low percentage hand offs would have made that much difference to you? Like coach was ever going to let anybody throw the ball downfield other than corndog, and risk turnovers?

acting like taking a snap and handing it off would have made any difference is wishful thinking when we had our best QB on the field already. Anything else is simply revisionist thinking.
honestly, why does it bother you that some fans would have liked to see Sanders play some mop-up duty last season. why the F does that opinion push you to the point of being a douche? i'm seriously curious why you are so intent on starting arguments over, literally, nothing.........

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
honestly, why does it bother you that some fans would have liked to see Sanders play some mop-up duty last season. why the F does that opinion push you to the point of being a douche? i'm seriously curious why you are so intent on starting arguments over nothing.........
Now you guys are going to derail another thread.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Playing meaningless downs is, well, meaningless.

Re-playing 2018 in the rear-view mirror is easy............but kinda stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think any down is meaningless for somebody who hasnt played one yet. For a myriad of reasons. There's also nothing wrong with some constructive criticism, and evaluation of what went wrong so you can be better.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I dont think any down is meaningless for somebody who hasnt played one yet. For a myriad of reasons. There's also nothing wrong with some constructive criticism, and evaluation of what went wrong so you can be better.
every meaningless down is by definition a meaningless down. Brown took one last year.

meaningless

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Playing meaningless downs is, well, meaningless.

Re-playing 2018 in the rear-view mirror is easy............but kinda stupid.

Spencer Sanders handing the ball to a RB in the 4th qtr of a blowout is meaningless in that it tells the coaches nothing about his ability to run the offense under game pressure - which is the real issue in determine a starting QB.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
What we have here are two, seemingly wonderful, young men competing for a spot. I'm going to be a big fan of BOTH and get behind whichever one is on the field at the time. I see both playing at least some. It's a good "problem" to have. Btw, I suspect one of them is more of a gamer than the other, but who knows. Time will tell.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
By that rational, why practice? Every snap in practice is "meaningless".
nope - he defined "meaningless" earlier.... try to keep up.

"practice" is trying to improve, and showing that you can make the reads and the decisions.... meaningless game snaps are simple hand-offs to the RB and try not to fall down in the process, or turn the ball over.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
By that rational, why practice? Every snap in practice is "meaningless".
Exactly.

This went from some people saying they would have at least like to have seen one or both of the other QB's, given the new rule, a season of struggle, & a guaranteed new starting QB for this year. Not surprisingly, that gone turned into "meaningless" snaps for Brown and/or Sanders, so hey "why do it?, etc..."

It is what it is, & doggone it, we should all be glad that a guy who was a one year guy got the lion's share of over 1000 snaps last year. It'll serve us so much better this year.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

"practice" is trying to improve, and showing that you can make the reads and the decisions.... meaningless game snaps are simple hand-offs to the RB and try not to fall down in the process, or turn the ball over.[/QUOTE]

& you two are the only ones framing playing time as doing nothing but handing the ball off.

Nov 6, 2010

"practice" is trying to improve, and showing that you can make the reads and the decisions.... meaningless game snaps are simple hand-offs to the RB and try not to fall down in the process, or turn the ball over.
Just because he defined it that way doesn't mean the rest of us do, nor what we were hoping to see. I would have loved to see SS or Drew for that matter, be given the full playbook in the 4th Qtr of the kstate game.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Just because he defined it that way doesn't mean the rest of us do, nor what we were hoping to see. I would have loved to see SS or Drew for that matter, be given the full playbook in the 4th Qtr of the kstate game.
oh brother..... it was damn near tied at the start of the 4th (12-17)... we were well in the game, and did not need to take chances with unknown QBs for the last 9 minutes of the game.

We were still actually trying to win, not grasp at rookie straws....
TD 14:23 Taylor Cornelius 1 Yd Run (Two-Point Pass Conversion Failed)
10 plays, 75 yards, 3:18 (12-17)

especially facing this..... we're going to put in Sanders or Brown with this going on? Not likely

"We were tired of losing," Kansas State linebacker Justin Hughes said, "so we came out with the mentality that we weren't going to lose. Once we stopped Hill and made them throw we had them."

Nov 6, 2010
oh brother..... it was damn near tied at the start of the 4th (12-17)... we were well in the game, and did not need to take chances with unknown QBs for the last 9 minutes of the game.

We were still actually trying to win, not grasp at rookie straws....
TD 14:23 Taylor Cornelius 1 Yd Run (Two-Point Pass Conversion Failed)
10 plays, 75 yards, 3:18 (12-17)

especially facing this..... we're going to put in Sanders or Brown with this going on? Not likely

"We were tired of losing," Kansas State linebacker Justin Hughes said, "so we came out with the mentality that we weren't going to lose. Once we stopped Hill and made them throw we had them."
After how many 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter. I remember watching the game, it was over.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
After how many 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter. I remember watching the game, it was over.
actually only 1 3-n-out in the 3rd quarter... our first possession, and we still had the lead.

They stopped Hill on 2 consecutive runs, like the KState quote I posted earlier.

If they stop the run, and force us to pass, what in the hell gives you any inkling that we shouldn't then double down with our best passer - and not gamble on guys who have never even thrown a pass - while the game is still on the line.....

stop already - it's insane talk... flipping insane.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Spencer Sanders handing the ball to a RB in the 4th qtr of a blowout is meaningless in that it tells the coaches nothing about his ability to run the offense under game pressure - which is the real issue in determine a starting QB.

I disagree. No need to just hand it off and do nothing else. Besides, your team will get blown out sometimes too. Cant just hand it off every play then can you? Some guys dont have the chops to play at all, even against lesser competition. Some guys have what it takes, they dont show it in practice as well, but they ball out on saturdays. Others are just practice heroes and fold on gameday with 80k in the stands. Unlike in practice you can lay licks down on the qb, so you get to see him in competition when he's a target, going up against unfamiliar defense, in a game environment that you just cant simulate in practice. How does he react under real pressure, or after making a bad play, does he have command of the offense, is he confident after throwing an int, does he check off or stare down his favorite wr? Lots of good stuff can be learned in mop up duty. dont pretend you cant. It's good business to see what you got in a player, especially in games that have already been decided, especially when it doesnt cost him any eligibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.