Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2018
Cali
Brown was mediocre at best at Hawaii, his replacement put up almost twice the numbers with essentially the same supporting cast. He was also not recruited by anyone out of high school. Which is why he was at JUCO for a year. Costello has a lot of upside, but is a true freshman.

Yes.
Incorrect my friend. Totally different cast including the receiver who was number one in the country with Brown prior to getting hurt. They picked up a couple of speedy receivers who could stretch the field, but most importantly as it relates to your statement, they changed to the run and shoot offense which I’m sure you know is a pass happy offense throwing 50 times per game. The kid who had better numbers is the kid who Brown beat out the year before.
I know I’m probably in the minority
that makes a lot of sense to me
Not if you’re a player

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
Somebody who lost his starting job at Hawaii should not be better than QBs that we've recruited into our program.

He's an emergency rental and nothing more. If Sanders isn't the guy, then we have a pretty catastrophic problem.
Please explain how he lost his starting job?
You can’t. The kid he beat out was the starter AFTER he left. He transferred BEFORE spring ball in Hawaii. I like good discussions as it relates to QB play, but my patience for those who throw inaccurate statements makes me feel like I’m tuned into CNN

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
you've got an excuse for everything don't you?

none of that is entirely true. Brown transferred... 7 guys transferred from that team, they likely got beat out in the summer too... right?

the backup QB (behind Brown) McDonald, did not win the starting job until the first game... it had nothing to do with "summer". Let's see.... he could not beat out Brown one season, but the next season he's the stud... OMG. Alert the Hawaii coach!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...daaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.b3630df8e0a9

Brown was the team captain and starter, he transferred for personal and family reasons. The Hawaii coach had to change the entire offense in the off-season for the 2nd string QB.

He transferred in the summer because he was trying to compete coursework to GRADUATE, as a Junior. (with 2 years left).

2017 (Junior): Recipient of the Coach Tom Kaulukukui Offensive Captain Award…named one of four team captains prior to the season…started all 12 games at quarterback…one of four players on offense to start every game of the season...finished the year with 2,785 yards passing with 18 touchdowns and eight interceptions…averaged 232.1 yards per game, while completing 61.7 percent of his passes…ranked third in the Mountain West in passing yards per game and in total offense (232.7 ypg)

Brown’s return to the mainland was brought about in part because of his desire to be a little closer to family as he wraps up his football career in college.

“This decision has nothing to do with football,” Brown told the Star Advertiser. “My family comes before this game.”
TRUTH

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
Top 20%? In Brown's BEST year at Hawaii they ranked 71st nationally in passing offense. 71st out of 130 FBS teams. I'm no mathematician but that sure looks like bottom half of FBS to me.

Now if you're trying to say he was in the top 20% of all players nationally that's probably true. But only if you include all the back up QBs that got some run in mop up duty or filling in a few games for injured starters and the random non-QB players who threw a pass on trick plays. For players with at least 200 attempts (note Brown had over 400) Brown was 48th out of 112. Also not top 20%.
Instead of spewing statistics to bolster your dog in the fight, why don’t you educate yourself and watch some film. Brown has a 12 or 13 minute highlight film on YouTube that illustrates his abilities. If you know anything about the game and specifically the QB position you will be impressed.
Oh by the way, you left off in your stats, that he was sacked over 30 times his last season at Hawaii

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
this is the sort of old school Pat Jones line of thinking that really needs to stop.

They are all on the team. Nobody "deserves" anything that they have not earned. Doesn't matter if he was on the bench 3 years or transferred in. (Heaven forbid that Jalen Hurt doesn't start for the goons, for example)

everybody does get an opportunity... every single day in practice. There is no "wait your turn", if you're good enough to play, then get their butt on the field... like Lunt.

If Brown is better, then he better be under center. The team deserves that, the fans deserve that.
Most anyone who has played the game beyond the PopWarner level, will say they want to play with whoever is the best NOW. Regardless of seniority, awards, or fan preferences. I join the players with playing who gives us the best chance to win NOW....
regardless of that may be. As smart as I think I am about football and specifically the QB position, last time I checked, no one was offering to pay me $5M for my opinion....but let the discussion continue

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
So, he waited until Brown was gone to decide that he had run and shoot personnel. Not really a ringing endorsement on his throwing ability.

Success in football is heavily dictated by the QB. If he would have had good RBs, heavy linemen, and a good throwing QB then he would have switched sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They had already decided on the run and shoot prior to spring ball and Brown leaving... if you want the facts

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Does it really matter who starts at Oregon State? Both Dru and Spencer will play this year. I think both will play in the first six games and a decision will be made then who starts the final six games. With our schedule we should be 5-1 or 6-0 after six games.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
So, he waited until Brown was gone to decide that he had run and shoot personnel. Not really a ringing endorsement on his throwing ability.

Success in football is heavily dictated by the QB. If he would have had good RBs, heavy linemen, and a good throwing QB then he would have switched sooner.

They had already decided on the run and shoot prior to spring ball and Brown leaving... if you want the facts
So, Brown decided to leave then after they chose to switch offenses and he knew he was going to get beat out by the better thrower.

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
True, but he saw the writing on the wall, and took summer classes so he could transfer and not have to sit a year. He was never going to be the starter last year at Hawaii. He was a stop-gap there just like Corndog was here, just not nearly as talented...
Dude you are flat wrong. Period. You’ve been corrected already. Go do some homework and come back when you are either smarter or more truthful. Then we can have a good discussion about QB play..... maybe

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
you've got an excuse for everything don't you?

none of that is entirely true. Brown transferred... 7 guys transferred from that team, they likely got beat out in the summer too... right?

the backup QB (behind Brown) McDonald, did not win the starting job until the first game... it had nothing to do with "summer". Let's see.... he could not beat out Brown one season, but the next season he's the stud... OMG. Alert the Hawaii coach!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...daaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.b3630df8e0a9

Brown was the team captain and starter, he transferred for personal and family reasons. The Hawaii coach had to change the entire offense in the off-season for the 2nd string QB.

He transferred in the summer because he was trying to compete coursework to GRADUATE, as a Junior. (with 2 years left).

2017 (Junior): Recipient of the Coach Tom Kaulukukui Offensive Captain Award…named one of four team captains prior to the season…started all 12 games at quarterback…one of four players on offense to start every game of the season...finished the year with 2,785 yards passing with 18 touchdowns and eight interceptions…averaged 232.1 yards per game, while completing 61.7 percent of his passes…ranked third in the Mountain West in passing yards per game and in total offense (232.7 ypg)

Brown’s return to the mainland was brought about in part because of his desire to be a little closer to family as he wraps up his football career in college.

“This decision has nothing to do with football,” Brown told the Star Advertiser. “My family comes before this game.”
Alas.... some truth

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
I have heard Spencer will be the starter. The only hesitation from coaches is when he tries too hard to improvise and breaks off the play trying to extend it. He gets over anxious to make the big play instead of the safe play. It will take a lot of learning and experience but with his legs and cannon of an arm it’ll just take some time for him to develop.

I honestly think we will use Drew with packages like JW. Have a RS Sr in the red zone that you can trust, has less nerves and has been there before. Spencer will get trigger and feet happy for a few months so the safe bet is Drew in the red zone. It’ll open up the RPO stuff, QB runs, slants, the roll out quick throw to the 6’8” Jelani etc. Drew has a good dependable arm. I just think Spencer opens the field up more on those 40+ ya bombs
Heard he will be the starter from??Please enlighten us

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
McDonald was a freshman when he didn’t win the starting job at Hawaii in 2017. AMAZING

Oct 30, 2007
I have heard Spencer will be the starter. The only hesitation from coaches is when he tries too hard to improvise and breaks off the play trying to extend it. He gets over anxious to make the big play instead of the safe play. It will take a lot of learning and experience but with his legs and cannon of an arm it’ll just take some time for him to develop.

I honestly think we will use Drew with packages like JW. Have a RS Sr in the red zone that you can trust, has less nerves and has been there before. Spencer will get trigger and feet happy for a few months so the safe bet is Drew in the red zone. It’ll open up the RPO stuff, QB runs, slants, the roll out quick throw to the 6’8” Jelani etc. Drew has a good dependable arm. I just think Spencer opens the field up more on those 40+ ya bombs
In reference to your first paragraph:
Gundy-what are you trying to do?
Spencer-win!
Gundy-we play not to lose, never to win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
History is littered with highly recruited QBs that turned out to be busts.
History is littered with first-round QBs that turned out to be busts.
History is littered with lightly recruited QBs that turned out to be superstars.

Anyone definitively stating which QB on our roster should start and why just might be a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.