Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So whos gonna be QB? Btw, did anyone see the highlights from the Ilingsworth kid from Cali that has committed? Call me impressed...wow. 6'6" 225 with a rocket on his shoulder. That young man is going to be something special...

Nov 14, 2010
I told you already what I want .... TRUTH. Not out of context, mindless statistics.

They ran a Pro style offense in Brown's final year, with a dysfunctional low moral team, and a lost first year HC that tried to push the run.
They ran an RPO offense while he was at Hawaii, and many times triple option concepts out of it.

Much of it was very similar to the offense we've been running at OSU.

At least know that while you tell everyone how stupid they are and how smart you are.

Last edited:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I mean I don't know what you want to hear. 2017 Hawaii with Brown at QB ranked in the bottom half of teams offensively and in 2018 without Brown ranked in the top 25 offensively.

They had zero receivers with more than 700 yards receiving and more than 5 TDs in 2017. They had 3 of them in 2018. Including a guy who finished in the top 5 in the country in receiving yards in John Ursua (who by the way was also the team's leading receiver in 2017). They did this all while having a significantly better rushing offense in 2017 than they did in 2018. Which one would think should make it easier to throw the ball if the defense has to focus on the run.

But that's all what happened at Hawaii and has absolutely zero bearing on what will happen at OSU. Is it because he was in a bad system or because he wasn't a very good QB? The not being recruited out of high school, JUCO, etc. seems to point towards the latter.

But as you've already stated you won't be swayed by some yahoo on the internet so I'm not even sure why you're still here or why I'm bothering to argue the point.
I told you already what I want .... TRUTH. Not out of context, mindless statistics.

They ran a Pro style offense in Brown's final year, with a dysfunctional low moral team, and a lost first year HC that tried to push the run.

They lost most of their starters to transfer, changed to a run-and-shoot (which the HC is familiar with and he recruited for), and put in the guy that could not win the starting job the prior season.

Corndog was not highly recruited, and he was freaking 6-5. Silly analogy.

If you cannot make any distinction between the Hawaii teams the past 2 seasons, then you really should not be discussing football on a public forum.
Rolovich was a second year head coach in Brown's final year at Hawaii. I want FACTS not fake news. If you couldn't be bothered to do even the smallest bit of fact checking you don't have any business posting on a public forum.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Rolovich was a second year head coach in Brown's final year at Hawaii. I want FACTS not fake news. If you couldn't be bothered to do even the smallest bit of fact checking you don't have any business posting on a public forum.

Well the facts get in the way of his narrative so he just makes up his own facts and calls everybody else a liar.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

my apology ... I misread the facts that I was reading.... but alas, your correction did not change the point that I was making.

I misread this statement to mean that Chow was still coaching Hawaii in 2016. But that simply means that that Brown was QB at Hawaii for TWO years that the backup couldn't beat him out.

“ ‘We were going to lose a bunch of guys to transfer, and we had more players who I had recruited,” the 39-year-old said. “When I got here [before the 2016 season], [former coach] Norm [Chow] had recruited a lot of tight ends, a lot of big linemen and good running backs. That wasn’t exactly run-and-shoot personnel.”

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
They ran an RPO offense while he was at Hawaii, and many times triple option concepts out of it.

Much of it was very similar to the offense we've been running at OSU.

At least know that while you tell everyone how stupid they are and how smart you are.
thanks.... the point I made was that Brown ran a different offense than they ran last year.... as you also pointed out.

With their quality of RBs and the reports about their use of FBs and TEs (as opposed to their 2018) offense, I thought it was more Pro style. My apology - but your clarification does not change my point at all.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

my apology ... I misread the facts that I was reading.... but alas, your correction did not change the point that I was making.

I misread this statement to mean that Chow was still coaching Hawaii in 2016. But that simply means that that Brown was QB at Hawaii for TWO years that the backup couldn't beat him out.

“ ‘We were going to lose a bunch of guys to transfer, and we had more players who I had recruited,” the 39-year-old said. “When I got here [before the 2016 season], [former coach] Norm [Chow] had recruited a lot of tight ends, a lot of big linemen and good running backs. That wasn’t exactly run-and-shoot personnel.”
So, he waited until Brown was gone to decide that he had run and shoot personnel. Not really a ringing endorsement on his throwing ability.

Success in football is heavily dictated by the QB. If he would have had good RBs, heavy linemen, and a good throwing QB then he would have switched sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So, he waited until Brown was gone to decide that he had run and shoot personnel. Not really a ringing endorsement on his throwing ability.

Success in football is heavily dictated by the QB. If he would have had good RBs, heavy linemen, and a good throwing QB then he would have switched sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not going to argue with you... read the article... it says why (mostly because of his Oline personnel, RBs and TEs that he inherited who all graduated or transferred.... like the article says).

the whole article is about why he switched to the offense that he himself ran in college.

Feb 28, 2007
I’d feel better if Sanders played in 2-4 games last year. Missed opportunity there. Gundy is terrible at picking QBs. Hope new OC is better.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I’d feel better if Sanders played in 2-4 games last year. Missed opportunity there. Gundy is terrible at picking QBs. Hope new OC is better.
Historical evidence shows that Gundy is not terrible at picking QBs. If he was, we wouldn't be the 14th winningest program in college football since he took over.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Uh huh, most press consider Gundy top 10 in the country. Rudolph, Weeden, Robinson, Walsh...ok...see your point now. :facepalm:

Dec 21, 2008
I have heard Spencer will be the starter. The only hesitation from coaches is when he tries too hard to improvise and breaks off the play trying to extend it. He gets over anxious to make the big play instead of the safe play. It will take a lot of learning and experience but with his legs and cannon of an arm it’ll just take some time for him to develop.

I honestly think we will use Drew with packages like JW. Have a RS Sr in the red zone that you can trust, has less nerves and has been there before. Spencer will get trigger and feet happy for a few months so the safe bet is Drew in the red zone. It’ll open up the RPO stuff, QB runs, slants, the roll out quick throw to the 6’8” Jelani etc. Drew has a good dependable arm. I just think Spencer opens the field up more on those 40+ ya bombs

Status
Not open for further replies.