Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Let's get the banter going...Who do you think will start at QB and why?

Does anyone have any inside information that confirms who the starter will be...are we going into fall without a true starter and when will Gundy and the new OC decided?

Can't wait for OSU football 2019/20 to start in Corvallis Oregon! Go Pokes!! Beat the Beavs!

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Is Sanders the one with injury history?
I don't think so...he's a red-shirt freshmen and was voted Mr. Texas Football 2 years ago in his senior year. He's a great prospect but it remains to be seen on the field on Saturdays. Hopefully we will have the best QB for the team starting...but I have no clear favorite, not knowing much about any of the kids, just rooting for whomever the coaches decide upon and looking for anyone who has opinions.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If it's not Sanders, we're in deep doodoo.
Why do you feel this way, do you think the other QB's arent any good? I know Brown started at Hawaii for a full year...so I would expect him to at least be serviceable and keep us out of most of the deepest "doodoo." Once again, just looking for opinions as I have no clue this year on who is the best guy.

Jan 14, 2006
I don't think so...he's a red-shirt freshmen and was voted Mr. Texas Football 2 years ago in his senior year. He's a great prospect but it remains to be seen on the field on Saturdays. Hopefully we will have the best QB for the team starting...but I have no clear favorite, not knowing much about any of the kids, just rooting for whomever the coaches decide upon and looking for anyone who has opinions.
Well thought out and reasonable response. As long as they are wearing orange they are my favorite.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Why do you feel this way, do you think the other QB's arent any good? I know Brown started at Hawaii for a full year...so I would expect him to at least be serviceable and keep us out of most of the deepest "doodoo." Once again, just looking for opinions as I have no clue this year on who is the best guy.
Brown was mediocre at best at Hawaii, his replacement put up almost twice the numbers with essentially the same supporting cast. He was also not recruited by anyone out of high school. Which is why he was at JUCO for a year. Costello has a lot of upside, but is a true freshman.
Did you go to the spring game?
Yes.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I'm not sure Sanders remains if he doesn't play. His mother's tweets indicated family unhappiness at last years situation. You never know what HCMG is thinking about the QB position. His past record indicates that he often doesn't think along the lines of the majority of fans. In the end we just have to trust in his judgement.

Jan 14, 2006
Brown was mediocre at best at Hawaii, his replacement put up almost twice the numbers with essentially the same supporting cast. He was also not recruited by anyone out of high school. Which is why he was at JUCO for a year. Costello has a lot of upside, but is a true freshman.

Yes.
That makes your statement even more strange to me. Perhaps, we were watching for different things.

I thought DB looked really good until his last throw during hurry up which was actually a really good play by 4.

SS did not look ready to me. Hopefully they both have a great summer.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I'm not sure Sanders remains if he doesn't play. His mother's tweets indicated family unhappiness at last years situation. You never know what HCMG is thinking about the QB position. His past record indicates that he often doesn't think along the lines of the majority of fans. In the end we just have to trust in his judgement.
I to think it’s Sanders job to lose. But if we make decisions based on a players mothers tweets then I’d be disappointed noted in HCMG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Yes.
That makes your statement even more strange to me. Perhaps, we were watching for different things.

I thought DB looked really good until his last throw during hurry up which was actually a really good play by 4.

I think the point is that if Sanders doesn’t win the job over a QB that put up very mediocre numbers against lesser competition, then maybe he isn’t going to be as good as we need him to be. If Brown wins the job, that indicates Sanders is also mediocre and we need more than that. He should be obviously better than Brown.

It really doesn’t matter who looked better in the spring game or even who the better QB is. The point is that Sanders better be the better QB or we should be looking for the next recruit to be our starter.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Looked to me like he (Brown) threw off his back foot on every throw. Especially on the pick by A.J. Sure he has more practice and game reps than Spencer, but if we're pinning our hopes on a 5'10, unrecruited, back foot thrower, then like I said, it's gonna be a long season.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I think the point is that if Sanders doesn’t win the job over a QB that put up very mediocre numbers against lesser competition, then maybe he isn’t going to be as good as we need him to be. If Brown wins the job, that indicates Sanders is also mediocre and we need more than that. He should be obviously better than Brown.

It really doesn’t matter who looked better in the spring game or even who the better QB is. The point is that Sanders better be the better QB or we should be looking for the next recruit to be our starter.

Also....this^

Jan 14, 2006

Kyler Murray was terrible at aTm and was the best player in football last year. DB is not Kyler, but kids can improve dramatically with maturity and better coaching.

As I've said before, I hope SS wins the job and it's obvious the coaches are giving him every opportunity to. But if he doesn't, we will still be really good on offense. With the weapons we have, all we need is someone to not screw it up.

This is a good offseason thread. Glad to be a part of it.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Kyler Murray was terrible at aTm and was the best player in football last year. DB is not Kyler, but kids can improve dramatically with maturity and better coaching.

As I've said before, I hope SS wins the job and it's obvious the coaches are giving him every opportunity to. But if he doesn't, we will still be really good on offense. With the weapons we have, all we need is someone to not screw it up.

This is a good offseason thread. Glad to be a part of it.
Sanders and Brown are getting the same coaching and have been on campus for the same amount of time though. If Brown has improved then Sanders should have improved just as much.

I really hope Sanders wins the job, there really isn’t a good way to spin it as a positive sign for his future. Even if Brown looks good because of supporting cast and coaching, then Sanders should be able to look better.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think, overall, HCMG has been a pretty good judge of talent. He may not always make the best choice at QB the first time but he tends to work it out over the course of a season and we end up with the best guy at the end of seasons. I'm hoping this season we get it "right" up front and actually pick the best guy going in. I'm sure it's NOT an easy choice to do that thought and I think we need to keep that in mind as fans going forward.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Sanders just hasn't taken that next step that is needed to helm the QB position. He's basically the same as the first time he practiced his freshman year. I don't think Sanders will ever be the starting QB.

The new OC has already given out a hint of Brown being the leader aka 1st-string QB. I would bet my house Brown will be the starter this year. Thent the current QB commit thereafter. Costello has no chance whatsoever of being the starter during his collegiate career