Who would be your starting five in bball?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
That's a hell of a long time for basketball. 2019/20 Make the Tourney, 2020/21 make a run in the Tourney, 2012/22 anything less than a sweet 16 is a disappointment.
Yeah, maybe. Two things to consider: that's taking into consideration how long it took some of the all-time great coaches to win a championship (Jay Wright, Coach K., Dean Smith, etc.). Also, those are my personal expectations as of now. Those could change depending on how the team appears next season and beyond.

Sep 23, 2010
Thanks for this it's constructed much better than my run-on thoughts. I agree with all of this I think Calloo will contribute more as this season progresses he has the physical ability it just needs to click mentally, whereas Deluth to me is more like a Mitch Solomon player except he is the freshman/sophomore Mitch not the senior Mitch right now. He needs to add some muscle and continue to improve.

To me the hardest player to give minutes to next season is also a senior and a captain this year. I know he is a 3 point machine but I don't see where Dizzy fits, he is a not good enough on defense currently and isn't good enough with the ball to create shots, he's a catch and shoot guy that doesn't require a lot of attention to guard. He has a lot of work to do still but I like his attitude and his work ethic.
Dizzy can really shoot it, so it's nice when he throws a couple threes in a row. He plays as hard as he can but just not there athletically. Nor does he possess the other ball skills necessary. It just feels like we are plugging in a guy who's just not a Big 12 caliber player. I get that he was starting when people weren't eligible and serving suspensions, but I think it's time to roll with our more talented kids.

Sep 23, 2010
Our expectations for this program, when it's in good shape, should be NCAA Bubble teams in our worst cycles. Competing for conference championship in our best cycles. Cycles can be every 3-4 years.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Sutton4ever you and I are on the same wavelength right now. I'm agreeing with everything you are putting out there. I'm not say that I expect to win a National Championship but if you're competing for conference championships in this league you should be getting into final 4 territory which is a lofty expectation but also achievable.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
To answer the question and while this is somewhat unrealistic...my starting five would be...

Micheal jordan
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
Julius Ervin &
Kareem Abdul Jabar

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
This year is not going to be a good record. And the broadcasters told them Boynton told them as much. He told them he's not surprised where the team is right now. Ice, Yor and Weathers are 3 good underclassmen to build with. Add 3 4-stars next year. Add another committed 4-star for the year after. Sprinkle in some vets and I think he's building a nice foundation.
Personally, I don't care how many stars we have or don't have, we need a very good floor general, and a dominating post player... I don't see either of those at this point.

I guess we'll see how the kids develop.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
To answer the question and while this is somewhat unrealistic...my starting five would be...

Micheal jordan
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
Julius Irvin &
Kareem Abdul Jabar
No enforcer or power forward on that lineup. Rick Mahorn or Bill Lambier could help out.

Oct 30, 2007
Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan
And
Michael Jordan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Dizzy can really shoot it, so it's nice when he throws a couple threes in a row. He plays as hard as he can but just not there athletically. Nor does he possess the other ball skills necessary. It just feels like we are plugging in a guy who's just not a Big 12 caliber player. I get that he was starting when people weren't eligible and serving suspensions, but I think it's time to roll with our more talented kids.
This is the problem with modern-day basketball, not only at the college level, but also at the NBA level. PLAY THE LINEUP THAT BEST MATCHES UP WITH THE OTHER TEAM.

I can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the Thunder for putting a team on the floor that doesn't match up well with the other team. The Sacramento Kings, for instance. But apparently, taking someone out of the starting lineup, for once, hurts their fragile ego.

Nov 8, 2013

Micheal jordan
Magic Johnson
Pete Maravich
Julius Ervin &
Kareem Abdul Jabar
Love the inclusion of Maravich! The pre-injury version, of course! Maybe Karl Malone instead of Dr. J for some bulk. Then Pistol Pete and the Mailman could both get their championships...