Who thinks Yurcich is leaving?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Maybe I’m cynical (that would be news to me), but I never thought we had a shot at KK. I actually would have a hard time imagining him staying in the Big XII as an OC.
I think if Gundy sold it right..."hey, you want to get back at those Tech d-bags and also get into bowls consistently", yadda yadda yadda, I honestly think we could've possibly landed him. Why leave a conference you're highly familiar with? Also, dangle Spencer Sanders in front of him. "Here's your next Mahomes".

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The guy as much as I want him gone, Recruits good QB's (doesn't develop them) and puts up very impressive stats (but is widely predictable and terribly inconsistent). That's the statement I put up on the twitter feed about interest in the TN OC job without the qualifying statements.
"but is widely predictable and terribly inconsistent"

LOL, I was about to say, if you didn't include that tidbit, I was going to call you out on that! Nice save, nice save. I respect your posts, and was about to say, you've decimated his play calling in the past.
I want the guy gone, no secret there. I'm not going to trash him to his (hopefully) future fanbase. I'm unwavering in my thoughts that we could do a hell of a lot better with someone else at his position. As good as last year's team was talent wise we should have fired both coordinators and started over. As inconsistent as this team was I think it's the best time to part ways with him. This is honestly the first time I have ever questioned if Mike Gundy should be the coach. I am back in his corner but he needs to make some changes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
The fact that Yurcich has not had any real interest from larger programs as an OC, or comparable to smaller programs as a HC is very telling. Gundy got what he wanted with this guy: an average to middling coach who can be easily controlled and kept on the ranch, so to speak.
Auburn LAST YEAR in not interest from larger programs as an OC?

Yurcich's name is also being thrown around as being an option for the Offensive Coordinator position at Auburn since he interviewed with Gus Malzahn for the position back in 2017

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I want the guy gone, no secret there. I'm not going to trash him to his (hopefully) future fanbase. I'm unwavering in my thoughts that we could do a hell of a lot better with someone else at his position. As good as last year's team was talent wise we should have fired both coordinators and started over. As inconsistent as this team was I think it's the best time to part ways with him. This is honestly the first time I have ever questioned if Mike Gundy should be the coach. I am back in his corner but he needs to make some changes.

Couldn't agree more. This is the problem: we have these record-setting offenses, that put up big numbers, and everyone gets blinded by it all, while missing the "small things". It's sort of a "devil in the details" situation.

Aug 19, 2006
I don't see how the Tennessee OC position would be interesting to him. Is that even a lateral career move? While we're not happy with the way this season went, Tennessee faded into obscurity a decade ago.

Maybe he'll just want to take his talents to the SEC but that one doesn't seem likely.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
It will never happen, Gundy BS about he is about to be "stolen" by another team. Happens every year, and nothing happens. We can only hope SOMEDAY it will happen. The only part i will have some misgivings about it would be he has recruited very well "AT TIMES".

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I think if Gundy sold it right..."hey, you want to get back at those Tech d-bags and also get into bowls consistently", yadda yadda yadda, I honestly think we could've possibly landed him. Why leave a conference you're highly familiar with? Also, dangle Spencer Sanders in front of him. "Here's your next Mahomes".
Do you honestly think in your highest state of mind that KK would have considered coming from headcoach at TT to OC in Stillwater.
OC at USC, yes.
Staying in the Big 12, no way in hell.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Couldn't agree more. This is the problem: we have these record-setting offenses, that put up big numbers, and everyone gets blinded by it all, while missing the "small things". It's sort of a "devil in the details" situation.
Exactly. Said it in 2016 & again in 2017. We put up prolific numbers, so that's the automatic panacea for any criticism of the offense & you "can't argue with the numbers."

The devil in the details you speak of are the 2 quarters of a game where the offense produces virtually nothing, but does enough for another quarter & a half or two to overcome things.

I won't trash Yurcich, but one thing that's consistently bugged me is just playing to percentages, or not in this case. We saw it again this year, & eventually, it has to fall on the coach(ing). Not understanding that when it's 3rd & 6, a 40 yard route down the sideline is a low percentage play is just essentially a Russell Westbrook fallaway 3 early in the shot clock without even making a pass. Sometimes, all that may be needed is something designed just to move the sticks. You can say that's on the QB, & that's fair, but who's coaching the QB's to think the deep sideline route is the best option?

Beyond that, & besides Rudolph, what QB's have progressed under him? Did Rudolph really progress that much the last 2 years? We're stuck now with a new starting QB for the 2nd year in a row & the very real prospect of a 3rd in 3 years if Sanders doesn't beat out Brown. This is not a recipe for success, at all.

Lastly, the tendency to find something that works, the abandon it, is maddening.

I have zero personal dislike for the guy, have no snarky Shippensburg comments (Chip Kelley came to Oregon from New Hampshire, fwiw), but it feels like it's time to move on. Wish him the best, but the 6 turds rolled out there this year make me seriously question his ability in a game when the original game plan needs altered.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Exactly. Said it in 2016 & again in 2017. We put up prolific numbers, so that's the automatic panacea for any criticism of the offense & you "can't argue with the numbers."

The devil in the details you speak of are the 2 quarters of a game where the offense produces virtually nothing, but does enough for another quarter & a half or two to overcome things.

I won't trash Yurcich, but one thing that's consistently bugged me is just playing to percentages, or not in this case. We saw it again this year, & eventually, it has to fall on the coach(ing). Not understanding that when it's 3rd & 6, a 40 yard route down the sideline is a low percentage play is just essentially a Russell Westbrook fallaway 3 early in the shot clock without even making a pass. Sometimes, all that may be needed is something designed just to move the sticks. You can say that's on the QB, & that's fair, but who's coaching the QB's to think the deep sideline route is the best option?

Beyond that, & besides Rudolph, what QB's have progressed under him? Did Rudolph really progress that much the last 2 years? We're stuck now with a new starting QB for the 2nd year in a row & the very real prospect of a 3rd in 3 years if Sanders doesn't beat out Brown. This is not a recipe for success, at all.

Lastly, the tendency to find something that works, the abandon it, is maddening.

I have zero personal dislike for the guy, have no snarky Shippensburg comments (Chip Kelley came to Oregon from New Hampshire, fwiw), but it feels like it's time to move on. Wish him the best, but the 6 turds rolled out there this year make me seriously question his ability in a game when the original game plan needs altered.
Well said and I have the same sentiment. Time to part ways.

dbt974s

Wrangler
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
The funny part of the article is that he believes Yurcich is polarizing. I’m pretty sure the only people who love his offense are also named Yurcich or have a last name that rhymes with Mundy.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Well said and I have the same sentiment. Time to part ways.

I'll add that he seems like a good dude, but he's raised his profile enough & made some good money doing it. Can't begrudge him for that, all, it's what we'd all do if given the chance.
I don't begrudge him, in fact he's so loyal to Gundy for taking a chance on him, that may be the reason he hasn't left. If a person took that kind of chance on me and multiplied my salary you can bet I would do whatever he asked even if I didn't agree. I think it's great in a private business but for me personally I think College football coaching is a different story. Coaches understand that their job is fluid and success is generally what motivates them, probably more than money. If they don't have success then you part ways. Gundy hasn't done a good job of parting ways because he doesn't like to replace coaches. That's why he hired Yurcich, and that he wanted to prove that the culture dictates success more than coaching. There's only one guy I wish was the OC for more than 5 years and that was Monken.

Oct 6, 2012
My problem with Yurcich is that I will tell my girlfriend the play we are going to run before we run it and I'm usually correct. I don't have computer generated tendencies in front of me or anything. That's how predictable he is.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Sometimes, all that may be needed is something designed just to move the sticks.
THIS THIS THIS

One team that comes to mind (and there are many examples) was that Houston Cougars team that beat us in 2009. If I remember correctly, they were able to run little short slant routes that slowly but steadily killed us, like dying from a million cuts.

And of course, Holgy and Kingsbury were the architects of that offense.

This also seems to be metaphorical to baseball, where you have people who just want to see home runs hit every time...but really the team just needs to get people on base to score.

Jul 28, 2006
He’s not a good OC and everyone knows it. There’s a reason the OU media protect him fellas. There’s a reason the ou trolls constantly point to the flecs of shine in the turd that is his tenure. They want him here. All of this noise about him being a candidate for other jobs is simply that, noise. Nobody wants the guy. I’ll reference his continued presence at OSU as my evidence. He will not be offered any of these jobs and my gut is he isn’t t even a candidate. This is simply the good old boy network asking a friend to put out rumors to boost their tired argument that Yurcich is respected around college football. There is only one way respect is shown in the football world. Promotion. He’s not going to get one anytime soon.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
He’s not a good OC and everyone knows it. There’s a reason the OU media protect him fellas. There’s a reason the ou trolls constantly point to the flecs of shine in the turd that is his tenure. They want him here. All of this noise about him being a candidate for other jobs is simply that, noise. Nobody wants the guy. I’ll reference his continued presence at OSU as my evidence. He will not be offered any of these jobs and my gut is he isn’t t even a candidate. This is simply the good old boy network asking a friend to put out rumors to boost their tired argument that Yurcich is respected around college football. There is only one way respect is shown in the football world. Promotion. He’s not going to get one anytime soon.
I agree with almost everything you've said here and I will add that last year he was at the most productive he will ever be with 3 NFL quality Receivers and an NFL QB and RB. It was he prime opportunity to get a head coaching gig and everyone passed. Now it's gonna have to be a separation not a promotion more than likely and I don't believe Gundy is ready to do that at this point. So we're probably stuck with him for another year.