Who thinks Yurcich is leaving?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Do you think MG said it was time to go? 900k for passing game coordinator and qb coach is a helluva lot of money for an coordinator
No, but very scared he is saying $300,000 is the ceiling for the next hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Have you seen the SEC offenses this bowl season? I’d say that has more to do with that than anything else. The SEC is dogshit outside of 2-3 teams. I’m beyond sick of hearing the same tired narrative that the SEC is so much better than any other power 5 conference (Bama excluded).

Overrated yes. Dogshit? No. Mizzou is a good team with a really good D. Anything to keep from admitting MY did a good job. He called an great game against Mizzou.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
It would be nice if, you know, Gundy was paid maybe $500k less. Then we would have some additional funding to get a *great* OC. But, here we are.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
The "price of poker" is around $5m for a Power 5 HC, and $900k for a OC. Neither may be worth that in the fans eyes, but you gotta pay to play.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
It would be nice if, you know, Gundy was paid maybe $500k less. Then we would have some additional funding to get a *great* OC. But, here we are.
A couple things.

1) If he were paid $500K less he probably wouldn't be our coach.

1) We had a great OC.

Gundy will find another quality OC as he's got what appears to be several good options.

The argument always in the past was that OSU was a stepping stone because we wouldn't pay enough to keep good coaches.

Now here we are we had a great OC that was in demand by top programs across the country and we couldn't keep him. Still a stepping stone to other programs as we lost our OC in a lateral move.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
The "price of poker" is around $5m for a Power 5 HC, and $900k for a OC. Neither may be worth that in the fans eyes, but you gotta pay to play.
If it's not worth it to the fans then why do they pay the high ticket prices, overpriced jerseys, etc? The fans with their purchases set the value of coaches.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Cimarron, I'm happy for Yurcich, that being said I was ready for the change to happen. I think changing coaches keep things exciting and brings in new ideas. I personally didn't like the offense under Yurcich but I wouldn't argue the stats, just the philosophy of it. It was way above average just not as effective or efficient as it could have been in my opinion. Now that he has moved on I won't talk bad about him in fact I would really like to not talk about him anymore. I look forward to the new coach and the opportunities that come with it. I hope we have twice as many wins next year as we did this year.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Cimarron, I'm happy for Yurcich, that being said I was ready for the change to happen. I think changing coaches keep things exciting and brings in new ideas. I personally didn't like the offense under Yurcich but I wouldn't argue the stats, just the philosophy of it. It was way above average just not as effective or efficient as it could have been in my opinion. Now that he has moved on I won't talk bad about him in fact I would really like to not talk about him anymore. I look forward to the new coach and the opportunities that come with it. I hope we have twice as many wins next year as we did this year.
It takes offense and defense to win championships. Review the last 10 champions and how they ranked in both categories. Fact is our defense is one of the worst in the nation (especially among P5 conferences), and it's near that most years.

What OC over the last 6 seasons performed better on average than that of OSU? You won't find many.

On most years under Yurcich our was good enough to put us in the playoffs, our defense was bad enough to keep us out of it.

The dislike of Yurcich had more to do with that he was from Shippensburg than anything else. People didn't like him from the get go and they can't admit they were dead wrong!

We had a great OC we couldn't keep with 6 seasons of experience, and now we most likely have to give shot to another first year P5 OC.

When it's not broke don't fix it.

With Yurcich it was damn likely we would have another nationally ranked offense next season. Now we have to cross our fingers that Gundy makes the right hire. He's done a good job so far and I expect he will again, but it's not a given.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I agree about needing to improve on Defense, also on having a high powered offense that was capable of winning against anyone. I disagree with you about where he came from, I was not excited when we hired him but I wasn't against him for it. What I was against was when faced with a poor game plan from the start there was no adjustment to the game plan till it was too late. 2017 TCU is the day I was ready to replace Yurcich and Spencer for that matter. The 2017 OSU cowboys were as talented as any team to ever play for OSU top to bottom but bad coaching from the HC to the OC to the DC held this team back. Since that game the offense has laid eggs in 2018 vs Tech, KSU, and TCU. To me the negatives have out weighed the positives since 2017 TCU. I know you disagree and I'm fine with that, I also know that you want OSU to be successful as much as anyone else on this board. Now that the change has happened I hope we win twice as many games next year as we did this year. GO POKES

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I agree about needing to improve on Defense, also on having a high powered offense that was capable of winning against anyone. I disagree with you about where he came from, I was not excited when we hired him but I wasn't against him for it. What I was against was when faced with a poor game plan from the start there was no adjustment to the game plan till it was too late. 2017 TCU is the day I was ready to replace Yurcich and Spencer for that matter. The 2017 OSU cowboys were as talented as any team to ever play for OSU top to bottom but bad coaching from the HC to the OC to the DC held this team back. Since that game the offense has laid eggs in 2018 vs Tech, KSU, and TCU. To me the negatives have out weighed the positives since 2017 TCU. I know you disagree and I'm fine with that, I also know that you want OSU to be successful as much as anyone else on this board. Now that the change has happened I hope we win twice as many games next year as we did this year. GO POKES
The simple fact is we don't have the athletes across the board to win championships. We are competing and we are just outside that group, but they get recruiting classes ranked in the top 10 while we have a recruiting class ranked in the 30s.

It's not bad coaching, if that were the case Championship caliber programs wouldn't be hiring our coaches!

Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Tennessee and probably others either showed strong interest or made offers to Yurcich. Review the last 10 national champions and tell me if they were taking a shot in the dark on Yurcich?

Jimmy Johnson was 17-15-3 in conference at OSU over 5 seasons and Miami hired him why?

Les Miles was 16-16 in conference at OSU over four seasons and LSU hired him why?

Yurcich had one of the top offenses in the country mostly every year, and Ohio State hired him why?

We used too moan and complain we couldn't keep these kind of coaches and now some are glad to see them go. Puzzling to me.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
We had the athletes in 2017 to compete for the Big 12, don't discredit those guys that are now in the NFL. Ohio state hired him as a QB coach and passing game coordinator it wasn't even a lateral move. It was a pay raise and an opportunity closer to home. In 2 years he will again be looking for a job. I surely wouldn't compare him to either JJ or Miles. Time will tell and I'm sure you will remind me if he is just as successful at his next job.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
We had the athletes in 2017 to compete for the Big 12, don't discredit those guys that are now in the NFL. Ohio state hired him as a QB coach and passing game coordinator it wasn't even a lateral move. It was a pay raise and an opportunity closer to home. In 2 years he will again be looking for a job. I surely wouldn't compare him to either JJ or Miles. Time will tell and I'm sure you will remind me if he is just as successful at his next job.
We did, on offense at least. The offense in the three games we lost averaged 41 points a game. The defense in those three games allowed 50 points a game! And you're blaming the losses on Yurcich?

I'm not sure why you think he'll be looking for a job in two years? Maybe he is maybe he isn't. I'm not that good of a predictor.