Who has done less with more

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 10, 2006
Who has the worst results with the best players? Is there any argument that Barnes is the worst coach in the big 12 as far as coaching? He can recruit but the guy hasn't won anything.

Barnes has 13 players in the NBA

For comparison sake Self has 10....

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Who has the worst results with the best players? Is there any argument that Barnes is the worst coach in the big 12 as far as coaching? He can recruit but the guy hasn't won anything.

Scott Drew is up there but barnes is definitely out shining him at the moment.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
If I had to rank coaching jobs this year 1-6:

1)Weber
2) Ford
3) Hoiberg
4) Kruger
5) Self
6) TCU coach - T. Johnson I think?

Drew, Huggins, TTUcoach, and Barnes don't deserve votes

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
This is a funny thread. When we were all yelling "Fire Travis Ford!", people was also asking if Barnes would be available to coach here next year. My how the times have changed.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Kruger has done a better job than Ford.
No he hasn't.

Kruger has 4 seniors who played significant minutes at the D1 level.

Kruger has the same talent level as OSU but more experienced than what OSU has.

Kruger has finished 2 games below OSU with a more experienced team and similar talent.

Don't see how that equals a better job.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
No he hasn't.

Kruger has 4 seniors who played significant minutes at the D1 level.

Kruger has the same talent level as OSU but more experienced than what OSU has.

Kruger has finished 2 games below OSU with a more experienced team and similar talent.

Don't see how that equals a better job.
Kruger doesn't have 3 potential NBA players either. Don't know who has done the better job of coaching...............just saying. Even Eddie Sutton thinks that Ford might have the most talent in the league.

Feb 9, 2012

Right now there are only 11 former Texas players on current NBA rosters. And only 3 of them, Durant, Aldridge and Thompson, average double digits. Bradley is close at 9.6 PPG, but the only reason he is getting extended minutes is due to Rondo being out.

The rest of them for this season:

Augustin-4.7 PPG, 57 games played
Gibson-6.2 PPG, 34 GP
Hamilton-5.5 PPG, 34 GP
Ivey-3.4 PPG, 40 GP
Joseph-3.8 PPG, 14 GP
Pittman-1.1 PPG, 7 GP
Tucker-5.5 PPG, 61 GP

Tucker was out of the NBA for the past 5 years going into this season.

I'm not defending Barnes, but this list isn't exactly a Whose Who of the NBA.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Kruger doesn't have 3 potential NBA players either. Don't know who has done the better job of coaching...............just saying.
Why not?

Here is a post I made about a month ago on this topic..
OU starting lineup with Hield, Pledger, Osby, Mbaye, and Clark.

4*, 4*, 4*, 3*, 4*

OSU starting lineup with Smart, Brown, Nash, Cobbins, Jurrick

5*, 3*, 5*, 4*, 3*

OU avg= 3.8
OSU avg = 4

Hmm...I thought OU had a bunch of scrub players and it was all Krugers doing? Ford's definitely underperforming though...right?

Ok, now lets look at experience of the PLAYERS.

OU has 1 freshman, 2 seniors, 2 juniors

OSU has 1 freshman, 1 senior, 1 junior, 2 sophomores

OSU is younger. Especially when you consider this is Osby's 5th year in college basketball and Mbayes 4th.

Okay what about the key backup guys?
OU has cousins , hornbeak (both 3*'s), grooms (3*'s), fitzgerald (4*)
OSU has forte, murphy, brian williams, gardner (all 3*'s)

OU's bench ratings 3.25
OU bench experience two freshman, two seniors

OSU bench ratings 3
OSU bench experience two freshman, 1 junior, 2 sophomore

OU rating overall for the 9 guy rotation = 3.55
OSU rating overall for the 9 guy rotation = 3.55

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
We will see how good old kruger is next season with a bunch of freshman guards. It should be real interesting.
Their starting lineup will be:

Woodard or Cousins
Hield
Hornbeak
Clark
Mbaye

Their bench will be Neal and their 2 avg JUCO big, Ryan Spangler

That doesn't scare me at all and they won't finish even close to where they are at this year.

They lose 40 ppg from their 4 seniors next year and their only guy who shoots over 50% in Osby.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Didn't say that Kruger doesn't have talent. He just doesn't have elite talent.
We have elite talent but they are also 18 and 19 year old guys instead of the 23/24 year old 4*'s that Kruger has.

They essentially have a bunch of Markel Brown type players who are playing their hearts out because its their last year and last chance.

I expect the same next year from our guys when Brown is a senior, Bwill, Cobbins are jrs, young guards coming in, Forte, and Murphy contributing.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Is Osby projected as an NBA draft pick? If so, that's 1 for OU and 3 (Smart, Nash and Brown) for OSU. Their status may go up or down and they may be projected this year or next but the fact is that OSU currently has 66% more "draft projected" players than OU.

Not knocking Ford or trumpeting Kruger. I have discussed this issue ad nausea in another thread weeks ago. However, teams with 3 "potential draft picks" on the floor at the same time are typically considered elite teams destined for a Final Four. That kind of talent puts you in the sphere typically reserved for the likes of Kansas, N. Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State and a handful of others. That's serious talent.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
We have elite talent but they are also 18 and 19 year old guys instead of the 23/24 year old 4*'s that Kruger has.

They essentially have a bunch of Markel Brown type players who are playing their hearts out because its their last year and last chance.

I expect the same next year from our guys when Brown is a senior, Bwill, Cobbins are jrs, young guards coming in, Forte, and Murphy contributing.
If he comes back.