Who’s gonna watch?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I plan to watch just as much sports this year as I did last year. I figure if I gave up on things because of race, religion, behavior or politics, I would just stay sheltered at home with the TV and internet shut off.
I don't know man. It goes so much deeper than that for me.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Can you elaborate? Just curious how deep your river runs.
As others can attest, not as deep as one might think. But I'm actually kind of tired of the emotional investment in sports teams (Dallas Cowboys, Houston Astros/Rockets, Dallas Stars). Maybe it would be easier if there weren't so much frustration with those organizations and if I weren't wired to make such an investment in my feelings. This pandemic also has me thinking about priorities, and the folly of the amount of money these men are paid in comparison to truly contributing members of society, like teachers, first responders, health-care workers, and so on. In summary, it's a combination of disgust with my own priorities and the priority society ascribes to our games and gamesmen.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
As others can attest, not as deep as one might think. But I'm actually kind of tired of the emotional investment in sports teams (Dallas Cowboys, Houston Astros/Rockets, Dallas Stars). Maybe it would be easier if there weren't so much frustration with those organizations and if I weren't wired to make such an investment in my feelings. This pandemic also has me thinking about priorities, and the folly of the amount of money these men are paid in comparison to truly contributing members of society, like teachers, first responders, health-care workers, and so on. In summary, it's a combination of disgust with my own priorities and the priority society ascribes to our games and gamesmen.
I’ve felt the same way about OSU sports and had decided to drop all my sports tickets this year. Even before the covid shitshow began.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I’ve felt the same way about OSU sports and had decided to drop all my sports tickets this year. Even before the covid shitshow began.
I will continue to watch OSU sports as my guilty pleasure, but all other time will be devoted to learning and home projects.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I will continue to watch OSU sports as my guilty pleasure, but all other time will be devoted to learning and home projects.
Oh, I’ll watch but, I won’t lay out $4,500 this year. That will pay for a 30 day US road some day soon.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Was a professional sports gambler for 15 years. I spent more time on that than my regular job. Very very profitable but at the same time, very stressful. I gave it all up and haven’t looked back. Don’t care anymore. Politics in sports now is just a sign that I made the right move. Ok state is all the sports I need. Anything else and I just go do it myself.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And we wonder why it’s so hard to recruit top African-American players to Oklahoma State.

Tho I know in my heart the people that post on this particular thread are not really a true cross-section of OSU fans. Because the majority of y’all are just wing-nuts that have infested this site. Kind of like cockroaches.
And once again, like a cockroach, you crawl out of the woodwork to spew some random idiotic thing rather than have a discussion with people. Who's worse, people with an opinion, or those who won't ever engage with those who have opinions because they feel themselves so much better than the other?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What’s mind-boggling is the business sense of the pro sports leagues. Do they really think they are attracting new viewers with their political positions? Or do they think they’ll lose more viewers by being apolitical than taking a political stance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the fear that the left will bully sponsors into dropping out, causing those TV contracts to shrink by large amounts in the short term versus the gamble that the potential loss of fans and viewership won't lead to as much drop in those same sponsor dollars in the long run.

It's a gamble but it might just be the smart bet.
Even when the left leaning bullies never watched the sport in the first place.

I personally don't watch pro sports except occasional Thunder stuff. Mainly playoffs. So I hold no belief that my voice is important to them since I already don't watch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited: