Wheres the problem?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Mandatory for anyone who wants a pretty spot on view of how restaurants operate is the movie Waiting. It's more realistic than you think...

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Processed fine.

I think the majority of people tip on a good experience, & that yes, dirty dishes, cold food & the overall experience affects their tipping.
Then I'm not in the majority. I tip my server based on how they serve me. That said though, if I'm at a restaurant that has all of those issues, the server probably isn't going to be any good anyways. If there ARE good servers at places like that, I feel bad for them because of customers like you mention.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
There are more reasons than server ineptitude that one can get bad service at a sit-down place. Most notably, if a cook has it in for a server in particular, he/she will often "deprioritize" the server's tickets.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
There are more reasons than server ineptitude that one can get bad service at a sit-down place. Most notably, if a cook has it in for a server in particular, he/she will often "deprioritize" the server's tickets.
Had a girl that used to piss me off when I waited tables, she would ignore her orders in the window while smoking or talking. When she would get around to them the dishes were "dead" so she would grab other servers orders and take those to her tables.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Had a girl that used to piss me off when I waited tables, she would ignore her orders in the window while smoking or talking. When she would get around to them the dishes were "dead" so she would grab other servers orders and take those to her tables.
She wouldn’t have done that to me more than once.

Thieves get treated like thieves, everywhere they are encountered.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
She wouldn’t have done that to me more than once.

Thieves get treated like thieves, everywhere they are encountered.
She didn't really mess with mine. She ended up getting fired for changing a customer's top amount on the credit card receipt, he caught it and reported to the manager.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
I've been a pizza delivery guy, server, bartender and manager and I can tell you a lot of people will stiff a server because their steak was over/under done or the restaurant was out of tater tots, and many other things that aren't the servers fault. As for people in the service industry earning a living wage, I know many people in that line of work that own houses and raise kids on it without food stamps etc. Like any large population group it is a microcosm of society, there are some that are good with their money and some that aren't.

As for 95% of the paycheck being taken for taxes, SSI, etc that is not unusual because that is where it all come from for the declared tips (usually just credit card tips) I have seen servers with negative paychecks because their hourly wage wasn't enough to cover all the takes on their declared tips. It generally all works out by the end of the year.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Then I'm not in the majority. I tip my server based on how they serve me. That said though, if I'm at a restaurant that has all of those issues, the server probably isn't going to be any good anyways. If there ARE good servers at places like that, I feel bad for them because of customers like you mention.
If they serve you a dirty dish that isn't bad service? I expect my server to notice such things.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
If they serve you a dirty dish that isn't bad service? I expect my server to notice such things.
Damn you guys are picky... lol Do I expect them to notice? Sure. If they don't am I just going to passively protest and not say anything but cut their tip? No... As long as anything I have a problem with is resolved in the end without too much hassle, then I don't see why my server's tip would suffer.