Where we post stories about how great this movement is doing...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
https://www.ibtimes.com/statue-abol...dalized-new-york-police-investigating-3006262

As a result of this inspired movement about black lives and how much they matter a Frederick Douglass statue has been torn down. I know that I personally didn't know how important this movement was until the legendary abolitionist's statue was removed for some odd reason.

https://twitter.com/BenDensieski/status/1279872373999775745?s=20

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I can understand the urge to take down Columbus statues, but the way it has carried forward proves this has NOTHING to do with social justice or correcting racism. Useful idiots are useful.

Useful idiots-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot
In political jargon, a useful idiot is a derogatory term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders. The term was originally used during the Cold War to describe non-communists regarded as susceptible to communist propaganda and manipulation. The term has often been attributed to Vladimir Lenin, but this attribution is unsubstantiated.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
There is no evidence that BLM pulled down the statue. In fact, 2 years ago, another Fredrick Douglass statue was pulled down on his 200th birthday. This time it was pulled down on the anniversary of his July 4th speech. Who would be more likely to pull it down, people who are mad about confederate generals coming down, or BLM trying to fake opposition? Occam's razor is your friend here.

Frederick Douglass statue torn down in Rochester, N.Y., on anniversary of his famous July Fourth speech
In 1852, Douglass asked the city’s residents and the country: “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?”

The remnants of a Frederick Douglass statue ripped from its base at a park in Rochester, N.Y., Sunday on the anniversary of one of his most famous speeches. (Ben Densieski/WROC-TV via AP)
By
DeNeen L. Brown
July 6, 2020 at 10:18 a.m. MDT
A statue of famous abolitionist and orator Frederick Douglass was torn from its pedestal in Rochester, N.Y., on Sunday, the 168th anniversary of his famous speech “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?”

According to Rochester police, the seven-foot-high statue was ripped from its base and dragged from Maplewood Park, which is a site along the Underground Railroad in Kelsey’s Landing, where Douglass and abolitionist Harriet Tubman helped enslaved people to freedom.
Rochester police said the statue, a replica made of a kind of plastic and finished to look like bronze, had been removed from its base and was found about 50 feet away on the banks of the Genesee River.
“The statue had been placed over the fence to the gorge and was leaning against the fence (gorge side),” according to Investigator Jacqueline Shuman, Rochester Police Department public information officer. “In addition to the damage at the bottom of the statue, one of the fingers on the left hand of the statue was damaged. Aside from the damage to the statue, there was no additional graffiti to the statue or to the surrounding park. "
Police said the statue has been recovered and taken to be repaired. The investigation into who is responsible is continuing. No arrests have been made, Shuman said.
The attack on the Douglass statue comes at a time when anti-racism protesters across the country are demanding the removal of monuments to slave traders, slave owners and Confederate generals and leaders.
Confederate statues: In 2020, a renewed battle in America’s enduring Civil War
On Friday, at the foot of Mount Rushmore, President Trump railed against protesters who pull down or vandalize Confederate statues. Trump signed an executive order aimed at punishing protesters who destroy monuments on federal property and another creating a national garden monument of American heroes, including Douglass and Tubman.
On Monday morning, he condemned the attack on the Douglass statue, attributing it to “anarchists.”
Statue of Frederick Douglass Torn Down in Rochester https://t.co/8iEBxSHm52 via @BreitbartNews. This shows that these anarchists have no bounds!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 6, 2020
Cornell William Brooks, a former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, tweeted Monday that he believed the Douglass statue was torn down in retaliation for Confederate statutes that have been removed by protesters.
“#Frederick Douglass’ statue was ripped from the ground. Some may call this REVENGE—remove our #WhiteSupremacists and we remove your #Abolitionist. I call this DESECRATION. Listen to his words and know why his truth is admired and feared.”
#FrederickDouglass ‘ statue was ripped from the ground —AS #Trump preached the hate #religion of the #Confederacy at #MountRushmore . Some call this REVENGE—remove our #WhiteSupremacists and we remove your #Abolitionist. I call it DESECRATION. Douglass saved OUR country. https://t.co/hzyn5PpeNQ pic.twitter.com/tgDclcCDjJ
— . (@CornellWBrooks) July 6, 2020
On July 5, 1852, Frederick Douglass delivered the keynote address at an Independence Day celebration in Rochester at Corinthian Hall, according to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture.
In the fiery speech, Douglass asked: “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?"
Douglass answered: "A day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciations of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade, and solemnity, are, to him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy — a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages.”
Two years ago, a different Douglass statue was attacked in Rochester as during celebrations to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Douglass’s birth.
Douglass lived in Rochester from 1847 to 1872 before moving to Washington, according to the city’s visitor center. In Rochester, Douglass published his newspapers, the North Star and Frederick Douglass’ Paper.
Douglass “hosted runaway slaves in his own home, gave speeches, supported women’s suffrage alongside suffragist Susan B. Anthony and much more before moving to Washington D.C. in 1872,” the city said. There are at least 12 statues to Douglass, according to the city’s “Discover Douglass” project. Douglass was buried in Rochester’s Mount Hope Cemetery in 1895.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
There is no evidence that BLM pulled down the statue. In fact, 2 years ago, another Fredrick Douglass statue was pulled down on his 200th birthday. This time it was pulled down on the anniversary of his July 4th speech. Who would be more likely to pull it down, people who are mad about confederate generals coming down, or BLM trying to fake opposition? Occam's razor is your friend here.

Frederick Douglass statue torn down in Rochester, N.Y., on anniversary of his famous July Fourth speech
In 1852, Douglass asked the city’s residents and the country: “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?”

The remnants of a Frederick Douglass statue ripped from its base at a park in Rochester, N.Y., Sunday on the anniversary of one of his most famous speeches. (Ben Densieski/WROC-TV via AP)
By
DeNeen L. Brown
July 6, 2020 at 10:18 a.m. MDT
A statue of famous abolitionist and orator Frederick Douglass was torn from its pedestal in Rochester, N.Y., on Sunday, the 168th anniversary of his famous speech “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?”

According to Rochester police, the seven-foot-high statue was ripped from its base and dragged from Maplewood Park, which is a site along the Underground Railroad in Kelsey’s Landing, where Douglass and abolitionist Harriet Tubman helped enslaved people to freedom.
Rochester police said the statue, a replica made of a kind of plastic and finished to look like bronze, had been removed from its base and was found about 50 feet away on the banks of the Genesee River.
“The statue had been placed over the fence to the gorge and was leaning against the fence (gorge side),” according to Investigator Jacqueline Shuman, Rochester Police Department public information officer. “In addition to the damage at the bottom of the statue, one of the fingers on the left hand of the statue was damaged. Aside from the damage to the statue, there was no additional graffiti to the statue or to the surrounding park. "
Police said the statue has been recovered and taken to be repaired. The investigation into who is responsible is continuing. No arrests have been made, Shuman said.
The attack on the Douglass statue comes at a time when anti-racism protesters across the country are demanding the removal of monuments to slave traders, slave owners and Confederate generals and leaders.
Confederate statues: In 2020, a renewed battle in America’s enduring Civil War
On Friday, at the foot of Mount Rushmore, President Trump railed against protesters who pull down or vandalize Confederate statues. Trump signed an executive order aimed at punishing protesters who destroy monuments on federal property and another creating a national garden monument of American heroes, including Douglass and Tubman.
On Monday morning, he condemned the attack on the Douglass statue, attributing it to “anarchists.”
Statue of Frederick Douglass Torn Down in Rochester https://t.co/8iEBxSHm52 via @BreitbartNews. This shows that these anarchists have no bounds!​
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 6, 2020
Cornell William Brooks, a former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, tweeted Monday that he believed the Douglass statue was torn down in retaliation for Confederate statutes that have been removed by protesters.
“#Frederick Douglass’ statue was ripped from the ground. Some may call this REVENGE—remove our #WhiteSupremacists and we remove your #Abolitionist. I call this DESECRATION. Listen to his words and know why his truth is admired and feared.”
#FrederickDouglass ‘ statue was ripped from the ground —AS #Trump preached the hate #religion of the #Confederacy at #MountRushmore . Some call this REVENGE—remove our #WhiteSupremacists and we remove your #Abolitionist. I call it DESECRATION. Douglass saved OUR country. https://t.co/hzyn5PpeNQ pic.twitter.com/tgDclcCDjJ
— . (@CornellWBrooks) July 6, 2020
On July 5, 1852, Frederick Douglass delivered the keynote address at an Independence Day celebration in Rochester at Corinthian Hall, according to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture.
In the fiery speech, Douglass asked: “What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?"
Douglass answered: "A day that reveals to him, more than all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your denunciations of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious parade, and solemnity, are, to him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy — a thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages.”
Two years ago, a different Douglass statue was attacked in Rochester as during celebrations to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Douglass’s birth.
Douglass lived in Rochester from 1847 to 1872 before moving to Washington,according to the city’s visitor center.In Rochester, Douglass published his newspapers, the North Star and Frederick Douglass’ Paper.
Douglass “hosted runaway slaves in his own home, gave speeches, supported women’s suffrage alongside suffragist Susan B. Anthony and much more before moving to Washington D.C. in 1872,” the city said. There are at least 12 statues to Douglass, according to the city’s “Discover Douglass” project. Douglass was buried in Rochester’s Mount Hope Cemetery in 1895.
I didn't say BLM did that. John Brown statue was defaced. Other abolitionist statues have been destroyed. Trying to take down the Emancipation Statue of Lincoln and a freedman, which was commissioned and pad for by freed slaves, is being done by who?

There are stories of people leaving BLM because their movement has been coopted by people with agendas that they cannot defend. The push here IS NOT for racial equality or anything close. This is now about the destruction of America. As long as people equivocate and placate this BS it will continue.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I didn't say BLM did that. John Brown statue was defaced. Other abolitionist statues have been destroyed. Trying to take down the Emancipation Statue of Lincoln and a freedman, which was commissioned and pad for by freed slaves, is being done by who?

There are stories of people leaving BLM because their movement has been coopted by people with agendas that they cannot defend. The push here IS NOT for racial equality or anything close. This is now about the destruction of America. As long as people equivocate and placate this BS it will continue.
Umm--you are implying that BLM is behind all of those events. Who do you think is pating swastika's on all of these statues? Do you really think BLM is doing that?
https://www.newsweek.com/john-brown-statue-kansas-slavery-swastika-851192

Do you see anything a bit bizzare about the emacipation statue that was voted to be removed? I mean, look at it:
1594061186474.png

It is a bit out of touch. Put it in a museum and put a different statue of lincoln up. You are only listening to biased news sources that are assuming at best, and spreading misinformation at worst, all while only looking at the most extreme minority of the other side. Pull your head out and take a breather from the news for a few days.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Umm--you are implying that BLM is behind all of those events. Who do you think is pating swastika's on all of these statues? Do you really think BLM is doing that?

Do you see anything a bit bizzare about the emacipation statue that was voted to be removed? I mean, look at it:
View attachment 82890

It is a bit out of touch. Put it in a museum and put a different statue of lincoln up. You are only listening to biased news sources that are assuming at best, and spreading misinformation at worst, all while only looking at the most extreme minority of the other side. Pull your head out and take a breather from the news for a few days.
BLM is part of the "movement" and have been hijacked. This statue symbolizes President Lincoln setting slaves free. I see the positions they are standing in, but this isn't a Hollywood movie. Lincoln really did have a lot to do with freeing people from bondage. Some of those people were so thankful they commissioned this statue with their own money. Who has the right to erase their will? Who has the right to PC the image? That's BS!

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
BLM is part of the "movement" and have been hijacked. This statue symbolizes President Lincoln setting slaves free. I see the positions they are standing in, but this isn't a Hollywood movie. Lincoln really did have a lot to do with freeing people from bondage. Some of those people were so thankful they commissioned this statue with their own money. Who has the right to erase their will? Who has the right to PC the image? That's BS!
The people of that city of the right to do what they want. If they find it out of touch, they have the power to vote and get it removed.

If you care so much about it, go start a group and buy them up. By the way, all I can hear is crickets in regard to your earlier outrage regarding the John Brown and Fredrick Douglass statues. Why aren't you as mad at the racists that damaged those as you are at BLM for voting to remove statues or tore down statues to confedarate traitors?

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
The people of that city of the right to do what they want. If they find it out of touch, they have the power to vote and get it removed.

If you care so much about it, go start a group and buy them up. By the way, all I can hear is crickets in regard to your earlier outrage regarding the John Brown and Fredrick Douglass statues. Why aren't you as mad at the racists that damaged those as you are at BLM for voting to remove statues or tore down statues to confedarate traitors?
I'm the one who posted about it. I'm pissed about the whole thing. I actually have a history degree and I understand you will do nothing to rectify any past wrongs by removing monuments. John Brown et at, just proves these asshats aren't doing jack for black lives. They want destruction.

Also, seek where I defended an confederate anything. Good luck, I will wait.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

View attachment 82890

This statue does make me uncomfortable. At the same time it was paid for by freed slaves. I'm sure those people didn't have a lot of disposable income laying around. It kind of makes me sad they contributed to this only to have it removed unceremoniously in the future. At the end of the day I'd prefer the people more emotionally involved make the decision and find a better way to send the same message.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
This statue does make me uncomfortable. At the same time it was paid for by freed slaves. I'm sure those people didn't have a lot of disposable income laying around. It kind of makes me sad they contributed to this only to have it removed unceremoniously in the future. At the end of the day I'd prefer the people more emotionally involved make the decision and find a better way to send the same message.
What about it makes you uncomfortable? If he was facing Lincoln I might see the negative slant, but the way it’s posed doesn’t give me “kneel before me” vibes.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I'm the one who posted about it. I'm pissed about the whole thing. I actually have a history degree and I understand you will do nothing to rectify any past wrongs by removing monuments. John Brown et at, just proves these asshats aren't doing jack for black lives. They want destruction.

Also, seek where I defended an confederate anything. Good luck, I will wait.
Are you asserting that BLM painted swastikas on the John Brown statue?

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Are you asserting that BLM painted swastikas on the John Brown statue?
Are you having a hard time looking at the totality of what has been happening? Are you aware of the fake swastikas that have been painted in everything from paint to poop in false attempts to create an issue. See Missouri bs. Same person to report of poop swastikas was responsible for a fake tweet of KKK burning crap on campus.

Also, why is it that the only thing you seem concerned about in this thread is details on statues? Nothing to say about the 8yr old girl shot by BLM activists? No? I didn't think so.