Where there's smoke there's fire (Holgy leaving WVU?)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I agree with all that.

The tone of the board has always been a bit acerbic (what sports message board isn't?), but it's definitely taken a turn in the past few years into being pretty polemical. Which is unfortunate and the primary reason I stick to r/CFB these days.
https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/

at the very least, it's good-natured humorous acerbicness*. For a fan base who claim to be welcoming and friendly to visiting fans, this board is a poor example.

*yeah, I made that word up.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I agree with all that.

The tone of the board has always been a bit acerbic (what sports message board isn't?), but it's definitely taken a turn in the past few years into being pretty polemical. Which is unfortunate and the primary reason I stick to r/CFB these days.
Would you like my honest take? A lot of people who post here, used to/still post on GoPokes.com, the 247 site. I use to get so...much...grief from them. I knew OP existed, but for some reason there were some registration problems with my email. Got it fixed, now I post/read other posts exclusively here, I love this site way better. Nevertheless, those older GoPokes guys didn't take disagreement very, umm, well...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Perhaps if he lost the arrogance the treatment would be more friendly.
I doubt it. He's a fan of another school who is confident (incorrectly a lot of the time) in his team. So he acts like 95% of the posters here, he's just not coming on here fellating OSU. There is definitely some arrogance in this equation, but it's coming at him and not from him.
You haven't read the delusional basketball thread have you? He is more than arrogant.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Perhaps if he lost the arrogance the treatment would be more friendly.
I doubt it. He's a fan of another school who is confident (incorrectly a lot of the time) in his team. So he acts like 95% of the posters here, he's just not coming on here fellating OSU. There is definitely some arrogance in this equation, but it's coming at him and not from him.
You haven't read the delusional basketball thread have you? He is more than arrogant.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
I’ve seen it. So it’s arrogance coming from him and confidence coming from an OSU fan.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Would you like my honest take? A lot of people who post here, used to/still post on GoPokes.com, the 247 site. I use to get so...much...grief from them. I knew OP existed, but for some reason there were some registration problems with my email. Got it fixed, now I post/read other posts exclusively here, I love this site way better. Nevertheless, those older GoPokes guys didn't take disagreement very, umm, well...
Gopokes is awful. It's like 10 people posting there and 8 of them are Robert Allen type sunshine pumpers. I used to post about 50% there and 50% here from about 2004-10. I had several thousand posts over there (under a different username). I don't know if it was when it went from Scout to 247 or sometime before that when Scout was doing something weird with that board that it wouldn't let me log in under the username that I always had. I was like, welp I'm done here and didn't make any kind of effort to figure out what was going on with my log in.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I agree with all that.

I suppose I added to that in this thread. In general I like the banter and the opposing view points. I guess I just found myself a bit flummoxed at Nolaeer's comment. I should have taken a moratorium on posting while collecting my thoughts. My apologies to Nolaeer.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I know i'm wearing out my welcome here, so this will be my last post for a while:

1. The WVU mods have proof(texts) that WVU started looking for a new head coach after the camping world bowl loss. Going to UH wasn't DH's idea, he was getting out of town before the axe fell.

2. Lyons, the AD, and gee the president, have never liked DH. gee called him a "frat boy" and not in complimentary terms. Lyons was at bama before coming to WVU. He knows all about Neil brown, and that looks to be his guy. A kentucky native, brown will be close to home. WVU will swallow his 3 million buyout and pay him 3 million a year and give him whatever he wants for staff.

3. Brown has an impressive resume. he was national offensive coor of week under tuberville when texas tech upset OU 41-38 in 2014(maybe be off on date). As troy head coach he beat LSU in baton Rouge, ending LSU's 46 game home winning streak against non sec foes. The year clemson won the title he came close to upsetting them in Death valley, losing 30-24. He beat nebraska this year and had a good season despite losing his starting qb to injury.

4. Everyone liked DH as a person. But it was time to move on., Neil brown may not be better, but he at least has a chance to be better and no one thought DH was winning a big 12 title anytime soon.
Our perspectives out here of what the WVU culture is like may be way off, but I felt like DH was kind of a crazy man at heart which would fit in well out there. I did have big question marks as to what he would be like as a head coach given his quirkiness in general but thought he was great at the Xs/Os while at oSu.

That said, I think Brown will be a really good fit. I don't know much except what I've seen at Troy and he's been very successful there. With his ties to that region of the country I would think he'd have a recruiting edge to start with. Hopefully he will be the right man for the job.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
I wouldn't mind picking up Houston in the Big 12.
That would be absolutely horrible for our recruiting. It was bad enough before having to compete with UT and A&M. A&M's move to SEC made a seismic shift in Houston-area recruiting and opened up the door for SEC programs beyond LSU and Bama.

We don't need another Power 5 school recruiting Houston; especially one located there.

And...I say that even though it would be beneficial to me as I'd get to see oSu come to my town.

P.S. shut down the thread if this turns into a conference expansion discussion

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
That would be absolutely horrible for our recruiting. It was bad enough before having to compete with UT and A&M. A&M's move to SEC made a seismic shift in Houston-area recruiting and opened up the door for SEC programs beyond LSU and Bama.

We don't need another Power 5 school recruiting Houston; especially one located there.

And...I say that even though it would be beneficial to me as I'd get to see oSu come to my town.

P.S. shut down the thread if this turns into a conference expansion discussion
With Holgerson there and the money Houston is throwing at the program they're going to be recruiting Houston anyway.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
With Holgerson there and the money Houston is throwing at the program they're going to be recruiting Houston anyway.
Yes, but that's no different than it is now. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, if all other things are relatively equal, recruits would chose a Power 5 school first. I certainly don't think adding Houston would improve our recruiting there, so why invite more competition for what's already a tough market?

The only reason Houston ever gets in is for TV market but I think we're on the downhill side of mega-conference TV deals.

That' it...we're talking expansion...shut it down

Mar 30, 2005
NorCal
Yes, but that's no different than it is now. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, if all other things are relatively equal, recruits would chose a Power 5 school first. I certainly don't think adding Houston would improve our recruiting there, so why invite more competition for what's already a tough market?

The only reason Houston ever gets in is for TV market but I think we're on the downhill side of mega-conference TV deals.

That' it...we're talking expansion...shut it down
Ed Oliver says hi.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
One guy is your basis? That's hardly a trend.

I'll play then...Take Deondrick Glass as an example then, he's in Katy and UofH is his backyard yet is not even on his radar. Would it be if it were in Big XII? Probably. Same could be said of our other Katy signee (Birmingham).

Mar 30, 2005
NorCal
One guy is your basis? That's hardly a trend.

I'll play then...Take Deondrick Glass as an example then, he's in Katy and UofH is his backyard yet is not even on his radar. Would it be if it were in Big XII? Probably. Same could be said of our other Katy signee (Birmingham).
You spoke in an absolute and I provided a counter example. Nothing more. Nothing less.