Where there's smoke there's fire (Holgy leaving WVU?)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Sounds like this is happening. Who does WVU go after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gundy will go sniffing around WV to get Holder to give him another pay increase. :oops:
He took this automatically renewing contract to give stability and show he's not interested in other jobs. I doubt this happens at all.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
I know i'm wearing out my welcome here, so this will be my last post for a while:

1. The WVU mods have proof(texts) that WVU started looking for a new head coach after the camping world bowl loss. Going to UH wasn't DH's idea, he was getting out of town before the axe fell.

2. Lyons, the AD, and gee the president, have never liked DH. gee called him a "frat boy" and not in complimentary terms. Lyons was at bama before coming to WVU. He knows all about Neil brown, and that looks to be his guy. A kentucky native, brown will be close to home. WVU will swallow his 3 million buyout and pay him 3 million a year and give him whatever he wants for staff.

3. Brown has an impressive resume. he was national offensive coor of week under tuberville when texas tech upset OU 41-38 in 2014(maybe be off on date). As troy head coach he beat LSU in baton Rouge, ending LSU's 46 game home winning streak against non sec foes. The year clemson won the title he came close to upsetting them in Death valley, losing 30-24. He beat nebraska this year and had a good season despite losing his starting qb to injury.

4. Everyone liked DH as a person. But it was time to move on., Neil brown may not be better, but he at least has a chance to be better and no one thought DH was winning a big 12 title anytime soon.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
The Big East was a much better conference than the Big 12, even when you had all your teams.
Miami beat nebraska like 62-3 in a title game. VT murdered texas in the sugar, and it was just a better conference top to bottom.

"What really made this game look like a contest between men and boys, was the Canes’ defense. Nebraska’s success was based off of their potent rushing attack, as they averaged nearly 400 yards a game on the ground. Not only did Miami hold Nebraska to under half of that (197 yards on 49 carries) the way they did it was just terrifying. If you watch the highlight video below, all of the defensive plays look like an advertisement for the Madden 2005 Hit Stick. The Canes forced and recovered two fumbles in the span of 3 plays in the first quarter (the in between play was the first Dorsey to Johnson TD pass), and neither fumble was a result of a well-timed strip, both fumbles came as a result of an earth-shattering collision caused by Miami defenders being in the exact right spot and hitting the runner at full speed. The sideline shots of Eric Crouch show a sense of hopelessness and downright fear. All of what I’ve described to you in this game so far happened in the FIRST HALF. As both teams headed back into the tunnel, the Canes were up 34-0. It was the most lopsided football game I had ever seen, and it just happened to be in the National Championship."

So I have, much of the time, appreciated your comments and banter (unlike some). And I have to say that I now question much of anything you've said in the past. If you truly believe the Big East at it's best was better than the Big12...I don't even know what to tell you my friend.

Just to start proving my point I'll give you these two links. They show the number of all-americans from the Big12 and the Big East while it was intact. The Big East had a 22 year run and the Big12 is on it's 23rd. So you could take off last years total for the big12 and it's even....except that it's not even close.

Big East had 37 all-americans in it's 22 years. The Big12 has had 107 in 23 years.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-east/all-america.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/all-america.html

Please don't do yourself a disservice. Proper perspective is the key to having a seat at any table of discussion. We're glad to have WVU. You guys are competitive in all the major sports and have a great fan base. Let's leave it at that.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Interesting when I opened Orange Power there were two threads at the top of OSU Sports forum -

"Where there's smoke there's fire (Holgy leaving WVU)" Where folks are convincing themselves Holgy will leave to become a HC at Houston or other destinations.

and

"Who Thinks Yurcich is Leaving?" Where folks are convincing themselves Yurcich is not getting offers from Tennessee and other schools.

I'm going against the flow in both cases; I think Holgy stays and Yurcich is gone.
Ah - so I'm 1-1; really thought he and WVU would work it out. I would point out that Holgy's winning percentage at WVU was .600, so I'm no far behind him.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
4. Everyone liked DH as a person. But it was time to move on., Neil brown may not be better, but he at least has a chance to be better and no one thought DH was winning a big 12 title anytime soon. --Nolaneer

Woah! Everyone liked DH as a person?!
Man, that's F'd up. What's to like?
Oh, sure -- the Morgantown Red Bull rep loves him, but I don't think we're biting on that #4 opening statement, Nolaneer.
You're bouncing credibility checks all over this board now.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
3. Brown has an impressive resume. he was national offensive coor of week under tuberville when texas tech upset OU 41-38 in 2014(maybe be off on date). As troy head coach he beat LSU in baton Rouge, ending LSU's 46 game home winning streak against non sec foes. The year clemson won the title he came close to upsetting them in Death valley, losing 30-24. He beat nebraska this year and had a good season despite losing his starting qb to injury.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I know i'm wearing out my welcome here, so this will be my last post for a while:

1. The WVU mods have proof(texts) that WVU started looking for a new head coach after the camping world bowl loss. Going to UH wasn't DH's idea, he was getting out of town before the axe fell.

2. Lyons, the AD, and gee the president, have never liked DH. gee called him a "frat boy" and not in complimentary terms. Lyons was at bama before coming to WVU. He knows all about Neil brown, and that looks to be his guy. A kentucky native, brown will be close to home. WVU will swallow his 3 million buyout and pay him 3 million a year and give him whatever he wants for staff.

4. Everyone liked DH as a person. But it was time to move on., Neil brown may not be better, but he at least has a chance to be better and no one thought DH was winning a big 12 title anytime soon.
I always enjoy your input. I may not always agree with it, but the board is sorely lacking in viewpoints from opposing teams fans. I suppose the way you are treated here is the big reason for that. I know I wouldn't visit this place if I didn't go to OSU.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
The Big East was a much better conference than the Big 12, even when you had all your teams.
Miami beat nebraska like 62-3 in a title game. VT murdered texas in the sugar, and it was just a better conference top to bottom.

"What really made this game look like a contest between men and boys, was the Canes’ defense. Nebraska’s success was based off of their potent rushing attack, as they averaged nearly 400 yards a game on the ground. Not only did Miami hold Nebraska to under half of that (197 yards on 49 carries) the way they did it was just terrifying. If you watch the highlight video below, all of the defensive plays look like an advertisement for the Madden 2005 Hit Stick. The Canes forced and recovered two fumbles in the span of 3 plays in the first quarter (the in between play was the first Dorsey to Johnson TD pass), and neither fumble was a result of a well-timed strip, both fumbles came as a result of an earth-shattering collision caused by Miami defenders being in the exact right spot and hitting the runner at full speed. The sideline shots of Eric Crouch show a sense of hopelessness and downright fear. All of what I’ve described to you in this game so far happened in the FIRST HALF. As both teams headed back into the tunnel, the Canes were up 34-0. It was the most lopsided football game I had ever seen, and it just happened to be in the National Championship."
The 2002 Rose Bowl (BCS Championship) final score was 37-14.
That was one of the matchups that made people hate the BCS as Nebraska had no business in the title game, they were #8/7 in AP/Coaches Polls, Oregon was #2 and CU #3. NU lost to CU in the regular season and didn't play in the CCG. CU beat UT to win the B12 conference then lost to Oregon in the Fiesta.

The VT/UT games was when UT was still in the SWC.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Perhaps if he lost the arrogance the treatment would be more friendly.
I doubt it. He's a fan of another school who is confident (incorrectly a lot of the time) in his team. So he acts like 95% of the posters here, he's just not coming on here fellating OSU. There is definitely some arrogance in this equation, but it's coming at him and not from him.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You guys do realize that the Big XII's identity is going to change. No more Holgy, no more Coach Bro, no more Beatty, no more Purple Wizard.
Is that such a bad thing? I expected an identity change to occur. I like what I see from the current HCs.

As for Holgorsen leaving for Houston, I may be in the minority to think this will be perfect for him. He gets to return to an area he liked and thrived, while he builds the Houston program to prepare for the next realignment.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Is that such a bad thing? I expected an identity change to occur. I like what I see from the current HCs.

As for Holgorsen leaving for Houston, I may be in the minority to think this will be perfect for him. He gets to return to an area he liked and thrived, while he builds the Houston program to prepare for the next realignment.
I think it may good for the Pokes. The defensive load is not going to be a horrific

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
Gundy's Rattlesnake Hunting Lease
I always enjoy your input. I may not always agree with it, but the board is sorely lacking in viewpoints from opposing teams fans. I suppose the way you are treated here is the big reason for that. I know I wouldn't visit this place if I didn't go to OSU.
I agree with all that.

The tone of the board has always been a bit acerbic (what sports message board isn't?), but it's definitely taken a turn in the past few years into being pretty polemical. Which is unfortunate and the primary reason I stick to r/CFB these days.