Wheel of Time TV Series Confirmed

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Would HBO bite on it as a GOT replacement? I know they are going to do a GOT spin off...but this could be their next EPIC fantasy show
All the rumors have said HBO is not interested and I would prefer it that way. Though they are moving away from it as they try to compete with netflix, they traditionally force nudity and sex into shows. There were multiple times on GOT where utter crap was forced into it and it was REALLY obvious. IMHO, it really wrecks things.

ramases2112

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Started reading the books. Was surprised there was so much material and can see why they are doing a tv show for it. There is something like 14 books to read. So far it seems pretty good and can see why there are comparisons to the author and Tolkien. He is a master at creating a believable world.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Started reading the books. Was surprised there was so much material and can see why they are doing a tv show for it. There is something like 14 books to read. So far it seems pretty good and can see why there are comparisons to the author and Tolkien. He is a master at creating a believable world.
the author died before the end of the series...but signed over the rights to the books to his wife...he spent his final days dictating the remainder of the story to a recorder of what was to happen and charged his wife after his death to find a capable author to complete the series

She chose Brandon Sanderson who co-authored the remainder based on notes and hours of recordings the author left behind and he told his family members how he wanted the story to end.

Sanderson took up the task and completed the 12th, 13th and 14th books for Robert Jordan

ramases2112

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
the author died before the end of the series...but signed over the rights to the books to his wife...he spent his final days dictating the remainder of the story to a recorder of what was to happen and charged his wife after his death to find a capable author to complete the series

She chose Brandon Sanderson who co-authored the remainder based on notes and hours of recordings the author left behind and he told his family members how he wanted the story to end.

Sanderson took up the task and completed the 12th, 13th and 14th books for Robert Jordan
Well if you couldn't finish your fantasy series before you die, Sanderson is my top pick for someone to finish it lol. I've read a ton of his books.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK

Well if you couldn't finish your fantasy series before you die, Sanderson is my top pick for someone to finish it lol. I've read a ton of his books.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
I'm maybe half way through the last book right now. Sanderson did a masterful job overall. I honestly can't tell the difference between them in the words themselves. Rather, I can in how they tell the story overall. Sanderson jumps around a lot were as Jordan likes to stick with one character for several chapters.

I just hope Martin has copious notes for A Song of Ice and Fire. As I see it now, I just don't see any way he finishes the last book before he dies. At the pace he is going and how much he seems to be slowing down. I think it will take 8-10 years to finish the last one. However, I think there is a chance the show ending might remove a lot of the pressure and allow him to finish faster.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
WHEEL OF TIME TV series in development (but not yet greenlit) at Amazon

The very strange case of Amazon developing the Wheel of Time TV series with Sony but not really wanting to talk about it continues.

It's an open secret in the business that Amazon is the company that Sony have teamed up with Amazon to bring an adaptation of Robert Jordan's 14-volume fantasy series to the screen. Rafe Judkins (Agents of SHIELD) is working on the project as a screenwriter and possible showrunner, and the pilot script was completed some time ago. Judkins was recently in Guatemala on a writer's retreat to work on the series, possibly with other writers to hand. Although Amazon was known to have had talks with Sony as early as the start of 2017, the announcement of a big-budget Lord of the Rings TV series in November led some to believe that Amazon would not want to develop a superficially similar project at the same time.

Clearly that's not an issue, because all indications since then are that Amazon are on board. Deadline confirmed the company's involvement in February, along with a Dark Tower TV series. After some confusion, Amazon confirmed that Dark Tower is "in development" at Amazon but has not yet received a green light. The project was originally a spin-off from the 2017 Dark Tower movie, but that movie bombing may have led to a creative rethink.

The status of Wheel of Time is a bit more mysterious. We know it is in development at Amazon, but Amazon have so proven unwilling to even give a brief "it's in development" comment as with Dark Tower. Even Amazon customer service representatives seem to be confused as to the official status of the project, some confirming it is in development and others being tighter-lipped.

At JordanCon last month, Harriet McDougall - Robert Jordan's widow and literary executor - confirmed that the Wheel of Time series has a network and it's not a "normal" one, basically meaning it will be a streaming service. This eliminates the last few cable channels from contention (Starz and AMC were believed to have looked the project over, likely passing due to costs) and leaves Amazon, Netflix, CBS All Access, Apple TV and the new Disney streaming service as the primary contenders. Amazon obviously has to be the front-runner, due to both all of the previous information and Jeff Bezos's drive to hoover up all of the major SFF franchises not already snapped up by Netflix or elsewhere. She also confirmed that it won't be a pilot order, but a straight to series commitment which is also standard for streaming.

The reasons for the ongoing obfuscation are likely linked to the different partners involved: Amazon, Sony and Radar Pictures all have part of the production pie, whilst the Bandersnatch Group (the official name of the Robert Jordan Estate) and Red Eagle Productions have producer and advisory roles. As a result no formal announcement can be made until all five of these parties (and likely others) are satisfied with the pilot script and the progress of the project. This may happen imminently or it may still be a few months away. Amazon have also announced a lot of projects recently and likely want to open up some room before making further big announcements.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/05/wheel-of-time-tv-series-in-development.html?m=1

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm hoping that Amazon isn't stringing this along just to prevent somebody else from doing it and competing against the Lord of the Rings series and then later cancel it. I would hope they paid enough money for the rights to exclude that as an option.

If this show is done right, Amazon will win me as a customer for a good long while, but it's doubtful anything else they currently have planned, including Lord of the Rings, will get me to sign up.