What's with short FB pants?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 8, 2004
Chicagoland
The what seems to be rash of knee injuries has prompted me to wonder about the trend toward shorter FB pants? You know, the ones that a lot of skill position players seem to be wearing that are at or above the knee and don't seem to even have a knee pad in them at all. Looked like Wes Lunt might be one of those players. Why would a player opt to protect his knees LESS?

Sep 22, 2010
Allen, TX
I was reading about how many of the pro's also don't even use thigh pads. When Dez got a thigh bruise in an early game last season, he was not wearing thigh pads.

brianwr

Ripple
A/V Subscriber
Aug 2, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
The knee pads in football pants are not going to protect anybody from injuries beyond the lightest of bruises. It's just a little piece of foam and is not going to stop knees from twisting, bending, and getting pushed out of place.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
The knee pads in football pants are not going to protect anybody from injuries beyond the lightest of bruises. It's just a little piece of foam and is not going to stop knees from twisting, bending, and getting pushed out of place.
This, they restrict movement and slow you down and they don't really protect you from anything. Now, I do think players should wear thigh pads because they don't slow you down too much and a thigh bruise will slow you down a lot more.

Feb 5, 2007
Most QBs will wear a brace on their "front" leg. I think Weeden did while he was here. Its the knee most likely to get caught and injured.

Dec 14, 2011
oklahoma
as fast as the game has become and as hard and low as the secondary hits I would want something below the waist. but I doubt it would have saved Lunt.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
Not sure about the NCAA, but I know the NFL has said all players must begin wearing thigh pads and I believe knee pads as well beginning next year.

It's also including those new "integrated" type pads in that though (those types f thinner pads that are seen directly into girdles or the pants themselves), so I'd expect those are probably what you'll see on most skill position players.

Actually, those are already getting to be fairly popular. You can tell a player is wearing them because they have a sort of bumpy texture that is visible through the pants.

Aug 11, 2011
Bartlesville
Knee pads look dumb. Guys wear the short pants because they think it makes them look cool.

Thats the only reason.
Speaking of 'looking cool', did anyone else notice the new trend on Saturday. I picked up on at least one player from a minimum of 5 different teams wearing his belt undone and four sizes too long so it hung extra long in front. If you missed it, wait til this week, it will be all over the country.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
Speaking of 'looking cool', did anyone else notice the new trend on Saturday. I picked up on at least one player from a minimum of 5 different teams wearing his belt undone and four sizes too long so it hung extra long in front. If you missed it, wait til this week, it will be all over the country.
Players have been doing this for years now. Not sure why, but it definitely isn't a new thing.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Players have been doing this for years now. Not sure why, but it definitely isn't a new thing.
what about the players bringing back the short jerseys from Miami late 80's early 90s?
FSU's RB was wearing one this past weekend

Aug 3, 2009
Boone's Farm
what about the players bringing back the short jerseys from Miami late 80's early 90s?
Yeah dude. I did notice that. Not too long ago (early to mid 2000's) the NCAA made a big push about conformity with uniforms. You could only wear grey gloves, everybody had to wear the same length, type and color of socks and if the refs saw you without all of your hip/thigh/butt/knee pads you had to go in and put all that stuff in. I wonder what has changed recently within the rules.

Sep 12, 2009
Shawnee, KS
I remember making my mom sew up my jersey every year to where it barely covered the bottom of my shoulder pads. Man, I was such a bada$$*. (*tool shed)