What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
You’re delusional to think that Les Miles would have stayed. He left for one of the top football programs in the country. Fresh off a National Championship with a roster that is loaded, facilities, and money. You don’t have to really recruit to LSU, you select. On top of that, he was a Michigan man. Had he got things rolling here he would have had the chance to go home to Michigan. He had the chance to go back to Michigan when he was at LSU but decided that LSU was a better situation for him.... But yeah he would have stayed at Oklahoma State instead of going to a loaded LSU.
I bet we could get and keep him now.....

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Hire a guy that has never coached at any level as HC or OC?? Come on man, if we hire Weeden it needs to be in that analyst/consultant capacity position like we did with Harrell when we first installed that offense.
We we hired an OC that never called plays. Its like hiring an accountant that has never filed a tax return.

Nov 14, 2010
I really like your posts and insight but I assume you mean the Holgerson/Monken offense. I'm not sure that defenses haven't adjusted to those concepts as well. UGA and Houston aren't exactly tearing it up offensively.

I agree something new is in order but what worked 8 years ago may not be successful to that level anymore.
Lincoln Riley?

Option concepts like scat, stick/ draw, qb counter etc. have and will work basically forever, because they aren't adjusted to, they are pick your poison.

For instance
Qb Counter

Baylor torched us with this just last year.
Fake stretch to the right, right tackle and right guard pull back left.

If lb's chase the flow of the stretch play qb keeps.

Pin the tackle, kick the end, then you have 3 on 0 with a guard, tackle and qb

If they roll a safety down, then throw the slant to the single and make him your best receiver.

Now you have your best receiver 1 on 1 with absolutely no safety help.

Defenses dont adjust to that concept because you can't stop every aspect of it

You simply pick your poison.

Scat.....
Swing a back
Ride a handoff away from the swing to get lbs to chase flow

If alley player drives on the swing then you hit the slot receiver replacing that seam

If lb chases swing, then alley player plays the slot receiver, then qb draws and their is not a linebacker or safety left to defend the qb draw at that point.

If they roll backside safety to the slot, then playside safety drives on the swing and lb stays in the box, then, again, you have put your best receiver to the single side and, again, he is one on one with absolutely no safety help.

Again....you dont adjust to that, you have to pick your poison.

The best part of these concepts is that they dont require an incredible amount of talent to work even against high level defenses.

They simply require rep after rep after rep for the receivers and qbs to understand the motion of the defense like the back of their hand.

Mesh concept
Both slots to each side run crossing routes
Ride a handoff to suck in lbs
If the safeties stay home, after the lbs fit the run play action, literally no one is in the middle of the field to defend the crossing routes

If safeties start chasing those routes in man coverage, then qb pulls the ball and scrambles away from the play fake and their is no one left to defend that side of the field

If an lb spies, then the add a pulling guard to it, and lead up on that spy with that pulling guard,or simply hand the ball off with a pulling guard leading the way for the back.

These concepts make your Oline immensely better because the defense is forced to react and not dictate and its predicated on gaining a numbers advantage for the oline.

Stretch Power Read
Ride stretch
Backside guard pulls and wraps to backside backer
If playside lbs chase outside stretch flow then qb keeps up the middle. Backside guard wraps to backside backer and now you have the numbers.

Inverted stretch power read
The same play but oline actually blocks zone away from the stretch play with no pulling guard.

So....lbs either read to flow from the line, or the rbs because they are getting opposite flow reads from both.

If they flow to the back qb keeps, if they flow to the line qb gives. If safety fits the stretch, throw the hot to the slot.

If backside safety rolls to that slot, then, again, your back to your best receivet in one on one with no safety help.

Modified Veer
Zone block away
Read playside DEnd
Rb runs right at the DEnd
Qb rides handoff
If DEnd takes the rb, qb pulls
If safety rolls to qb then throw to the slot
If backside safety starts rolling, again, now you have 1 on 1 with your best receiver with no safety help.

The offensive coaches in the booth need to be reading the poison the defense has chosen to pick and relaying that to the qb

But....
Again....
You're going to be running just a few concepts, but doing them over and over and over while reading different ways defense adjust to the concept.

And...again....
This is what OSU needs to be running because, if you read the plays correctly, it doesn't take an incredible amount of talent to execute these plays.

You need a really fast back, a quick offensive line, smart and quick slot receivers, a #1 receiver that can beat 1 on 1 coverage, and a qb that can make 1 read per play.

OSU can more easily recruit to that style of offense and the parts can become more interchangable from year to year.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The Fall of GUNDYLOVE has officially started. We started it off with Pat "Bumfuzzled" Jones saying that anyone that wants to fire GUNDY is idiot. We had Trammel line up on the GUNDYLOVE bandwagon yesterday, now Blevins is telling us how ultra-competitive Gundy is. When is that phone call happening Trabor?

Apr 7, 2006
Say what you will about Gundy, but when he or OSU has been written off he's been pretty solid (outside of Bedlam).

Edit..

Thats the dilemma with Gundy he seems to have the ability to avoid bad seasons but doesn't seem to have the ability to put together great seasons.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Gundy sees himself as infallible and that is why he has peaked. We know he is overly involved in the Offense, but doesn't own it.

He states "I didn't like our concept". He singles himself out as thinking the concept being bad and implies that others thought it was a good concept.

He states "I thought we could have done a better job". He singles himself out as the only one thinking this and deflecting fault to the other coaches with "we".

Then reinforced it with "I don't think we had the plans". Again the same thing.

He continues to make statements that show "himself" as having the vision to see the issues, but puts the entire blame on "we".

https://twitter.com/jacobunruh/status/1330906183851454464

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Lincoln Riley?

Option concepts like scat, stick/ draw, qb counter etc. have and will work basically forever, because they aren't adjusted to, they are pick your poison.

For instance
Qb Counter

Baylor torched us with this just last year.
Fake stretch to the right, right tackle and right guard pull back left.

If lb's chase the flow of the stretch play qb keeps.

Pin the tackle, kick the end, then you have 3 on 0 with a guard, tackle and qb

If they roll a safety down, then throw the slant to the single and make him your best receiver.

Now you have your best receiver 1 on 1 with absolutely no safety help.

Defenses dont adjust to that concept because you can't stop every aspect of it

You simply pick your poison.

Scat.....
Swing a back
Ride a handoff away from the swing to get lbs to chase flow

If alley player drives on the swing then you hit the slot receiver replacing that seam

If lb chases swing, then alley player plays the slot receiver, then qb draws and their is not a linebacker or safety left to defend the qb draw at that point.

If they roll backside safety to the slot, then playside safety drives on the swing and lb stays in the box, then, again, you have put your best receiver to the single side and, again, he is one on one with absolutely no safety help.

Again....you dont adjust to that, you have to pick your poison.

The best part of these concepts is that they dont require an incredible amount of talent to work even against high level defenses.

They simply require rep after rep after rep for the receivers and qbs to understand the motion of the defense like the back of their hand.

Mesh concept
Both slots to each side run crossing routes
Ride a handoff to suck in lbs
If the safeties stay home, after the lbs fit the run play action, literally no one is in the middle of the field to defend the crossing routes

If safeties start chasing those routes in man coverage, then qb pulls the ball and scrambles away from the play fake and their is no one left to defend that side of the field

If an lb spies, then the add a pulling guard to it, and lead up on that spy with that pulling guard,or simply hand the ball off with a pulling guard leading the way for the back.

These concepts make your Oline immensely better because the defense is forced to react and not dictate and its predicated on gaining a numbers advantage for the oline.

Stretch Power Read
Ride stretch
Backside guard pulls and wraps to backside backer
If playside lbs chase outside stretch flow then qb keeps up the middle. Backside guard wraps to backside backer and now you have the numbers.

Inverted stretch power read
The same play but oline actually blocks zone away from the stretch play with no pulling guard.

So....lbs either read to flow from the line, or the rbs because they are getting opposite flow reads from both.

If they flow to the back qb keeps, if they flow to the line qb gives. If safety fits the stretch, throw the hot to the slot.

If backside safety rolls to that slot, then, again, your back to your best receivet in one on one with no safety help.

Modified Veer
Zone block away
Read playside DEnd
Rb runs right at the DEnd
Qb rides handoff
If DEnd takes the rb, qb pulls
If safety rolls to qb then throw to the slot
If backside safety starts rolling, again, now you have 1 on 1 with your best receiver with no safety help.

The offensive coaches in the booth need to be reading the poison the defense has chosen to pick and relaying that to the qb

But....
Again....
You're going to be running just a few concepts, but doing them over and over and over while reading different ways defense adjust to the concept.

And...again....
This is what OSU needs to be running because, if you read the plays correctly, it doesn't take an incredible amount of talent to execute these plays.

You need a really fast back, a quick offensive line, smart and quick slot receivers, a #1 receiver that can beat 1 on 1 coverage, and a qb that can make 1 read per play.

OSU can more easily recruit to that style of offense and the parts can become more interchangable from year to year.
This is not PlayStation man, the only way those plays could even remotely work is if there is no D line penetration, your receivers can always beat man coverage, your quarterback can actually make a perfect throw, the defense never runs a zone, etc.

Offenses are entirely more complex then most people think, including Gundys system, as well as defenses. Defenses switch gaps, roll D line into coverage, run zone on one side man on the other, defenders play inside/outside coverage, all of this forces a QB to read things very quickly and make accurate throws. No play design can make up for a QB that can’t do either.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Someone that goes into games and doesn't leave any bullets in the gun. Players like playing for coaches like that, not ones who don't want to lose by too much (Gundy, Pat Jones).

Nov 14, 2010
This is not PlayStation man, the only way those plays could even remotely work is if there is no D line penetration, your receivers can always beat man coverage, your quarterback can actually make a perfect throw, the defense never runs a zone, etc.

Offenses are entirely more complex then most people think, including Gundys system, as well as defenses. Defenses switch gaps, roll D line into coverage, run zone on one side man on the other, defenders play inside/outside coverage, all of this forces a QB to read things very quickly and make accurate throws. No play design can make up for a QB that can’t do either.
Well....
Man, as you said
No.....these are not play station concepts
These are concepts that we used to run over and over and over with interchangable parts

These are concepts that most NFL teams use

They are also concepts that Jr High and High School teams all over the country are using every day.

Go watch the Oklahoma High School playoffs this weekend and you'll see just about every team run stretch power read, mesh concepts, scat, stick/draw, veer and inverted veer.

Then....watch college games this weekend

You'll see those same concepts ran over and over and over

Then watch the NFL Sunday then you'll see them again

Or.....
Go to a Jon Walsh clinic, J.W.'s dad, and dive into their concepts and the stuff they run at Guyer

Not to mention.....We used to be able to do these things sometimes with 3 quarterbacks per game and not miss a beat

All these concepts take into account switching gaps, backend coverages etc by defenses....

As a matter of fact, read option concepts arent neccessarily reading a player in a certain gap, they are simply reading last man on the line of scrimmage, first threat of force etc....

Their main purpose is to be able to better attack those kinds of things because no matter what a defense does, these concepts have a counter to it.

For instance.....
To use your example, D line wants to penetrate instead of cancelling gaps....
great......
Then we kick instead of pin...or we pin and pull and make that penetration run the rim.
Or...we simply zone away from the play and let the penetration wash by the play.

Oregon made that famous

As the tackle zones away and steps inside, then DEnd steps down as well and now their really fast backs has the edge unimpeded because the DEnd stepped down mirroring the tackle

If he doesnt step down then you simply pin and pull, then kick him and qb keeps underneath him

That concept is called power blast and its run ALL THE TIME by High Schools, Jr Highs, colleges and NFL teams.

You simply leave 1 player unblocked, then double team for the give, read the unblocked player for the keep and wash everything else.

If you over penetrate stretch power read, the qb will simply keep and hit the backside A gap and its going to the house.

As you can see...guys like Chuba and Spencer would run wild underneath that with concepts like stick draw, power, stretch power read etc....

Or....for a more basic concept against an overly penetrating D line..

Simply run veer, and read the playside DEnd
But....zone block away from the DEnd you are reading and wash the penetration.

Now its 2 in 1.

Remember Jeremy Smith running untouched on Texas from about 60 yards out?

We used to gash defenses that tried to over penetrate.

You wanna play man coverage.....
Great
We run the mesh concept and as soon as the single side corner runs off with the shallow cross, Sanders pulls the ball and scrambles to that side after a play fake drew the lbs to the other side.

No one is home and Sanders has an easy play.

You incorrectly mentioned needing receiver(s) needing to beat man coverage as in plural

I said single receiver as in singular

Meaning.....after you have forced the defense to roll coverage with these concepts then they are forced to leave the single receiver in 1 on 1 coverage.

And....because you've play actioned, drawn coverage etc....your quarterback can be LESS accurate and doesnt have to have a huge arm because he is throwing to open receivers.

He's not having to thread needles over lbs because the play fakes and run prongs to the plays force the lb's to fit on the run game.

You can make this seem like Rocket science all you want, but its really not.

Teams with much, much, much less talent than OSU do these things every day and every game.

Spencer Sanders and JW Walsh grew up doing these things their entire football careers

Sanders can do these things in his sleep.

But.. because our head coach has to have it his way, we are constantly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and it has finally caught up with us.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
We we hired an OC that never called plays. Its like hiring an accountant that has never filed a tax return.
I used to get angry at the OC play calling since MY, but now I see that Gundy must be very involved in the play calling. Because with MY, Gleeson and now Dunn it pretty much looks exactly the same...dive left, dive right, throw a go route. Nothing over the middle, no misdirection, no counters...it's like a High School offense.

Nov 14, 2010
Gundy sees himself as infallible and that is why he has peaked. We know he is overly involved in the Offense, but doesn't own it.

He states "I didn't like our concept". He singles himself out as thinking the concept being bad and implies that others thought it was a good concept.

He states "I thought we could have done a better job". He singles himself out as the only one thinking this and deflecting fault to the other coaches with "we".

Then reinforced it with "I don't think we had the plans". Again the same thing.

He continues to make statements that show "himself" as having the vision to see the issues, but puts the entire blame on "we".

https://twitter.com/jacobunruh/status/1330906183851454464
Perfectly stated

R Dub

Greenhorn
Oct 24, 2020
Idaho
Here are a few names that I would be interested in if Coach Gundy retired:
1. Todd Monken - He's an elite playcaller and beloved by most of our fanbase.
2. Bryan Harsin - He's at his alma mater, but we could easily double his salary.
3. Billy Napier - He's been very successful at Louisiana. He's on track to win his 3rd straight division title this year.
4. Luke Fickell - He's been consistently successful at Cincinnati, but it feels like he's destined for the Big 10.
5. Eric Bieniemy - He turned down Colorado last year, but we're a better program than the Buffalos. His success in the NFL could translate really well to the college game if he ever decided to leave.

I also like guys like Marcus Arroyo, Kasey Dunn, & Graham Harrell, but they still need to prove themselves before landing a job this big though.
I like the Luke Fickell idea for two reasons: he has been successful at Cincy, and just as importantly his background as an Ohio State guy means he understands the urgency of beating your arch rival. At Ohio State if you don’t beat Michigan nothing else really matters. I’m sure he would put beating OU at the top of the list the priority list.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
I like the Luke Fickell idea for two reasons: he has been successful at Cincy, and just as importantly his background as an Ohio State guy means he understands the urgency of beating your arch rival. At Ohio State if you don’t beat Michigan nothing else really matters. I’m sure he would put beating OU at the top of the list the priority list.
Then he needs to get better Jimmy’s and Joe’s when he arrives.

Oct 29, 2016
US
How about Paul Bryant? Knute Rockne?

Or.. or..Tom Osborne? Bobby Bowden? Nick Saban? Dabo?

I know the perfect coach.. Foghorn Leghorn! Well, I say.. I say.. I say!

Wait.. I know.. my Pee-wee football coach went undefeated for, like, 7 years straight. Let's hope we hire him!