What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Jim Harbaugh. And no, I'm not kidding. Hear me out.

Back-to-back 11-1 seasons at San Diego State.

Built a lousy Stanford Cardinal to 12-1 and Orange Bowl win in 4 years.

Three straight NFC Championship appearances with one NFC championship in 4 years with the 49ers.

Sure, he has struggled to win the big games at Michigan, but I think he has proven he is better with a chip on his shoulder in organizations not expected to be at the top of their respective leagues. Following his impending firing at Michigan, I hope he will feel he has something to prove again at the collegiate level because it's clear the guy can coach.

Why would he be a fit at OSU? No one can be sure, but he has proven he can be successful at wildly different universities in SDSU and Stanford. Now, can I imagine him living in Stillwater? Absolutely not, but I would love to see his passion for branding and recruiting at OSU. Pair that with a strong coaching staff and he might rekindle the magic he found in 3 of his 4 coaching stints.
Ur kidding, right?

Oct 29, 2016
US
14 straight bowl appearances and y'all want a new HC. This thread is completely absurd. Mike Gundy is consistently in the top 25 of best collegiate head coaches and y'all still have ridiculous expectations. Calm down people.. take a deep breath and realize that OSU's success is Mike Gundy's doing.

And the names being suggested as a replacement.. I mean, talking about grandiose sense of superiority regarding the attractiveness of OSU that some fans have.

Oct 30, 2007
And the names being suggested as a replacement.. I mean, talking about grandiose sense of superiority regarding the attractiveness of OSU that some fans have.
$5 million plus per year makes this an attractive job for any coach that isn't a head coach in the NFL or at a top 25 collegiate program. This job is vastly more attractive now than it was 10-20 years ago.

Apr 20, 2011
People keep throwing around the $5mil a year we pay Gundy as proof we can get a name. We should remember it costs what $20mil to pay him to go away? Not to mention whatever buyout some of these coaches we want have. We can’t afford to fire Gundy and it doesn’t sound like he is retiring anytime soon. We had our chance to fire with cause earlier this year and we passed. Not happy about it but it’s our reality currently.

Oct 30, 2007
People keep throwing around the $5mil a year we pay Gundy as proof we can get a name. We should remember it costs what $20mil to pay him to go away? Not to mention whatever buyout some of these coaches we want have. We can’t afford to fire Gundy and it doesn’t sound like he is retiring anytime soon. We had our chance to fire with cause earlier this year and we passed. Not happy about it but it’s our reality currently.
The restructured contract he signed earlier this year calls for him to receive half of his remaining salary if he's fired. So the buyout would be about half that. We didn't have cause to fire him earlier this year. There isn't a judge in our state that would nullify a multi-million dollar contract because someone wore a shirt that hurt someone's feelings.

We're facing a $30 million deficit this year, and we might be facing a similar deficit next year. So I doubt that a change would be made, regardless of the buyout. Plus we're having a relatively successful season. I know that everyone is upset over the bedlam loss, but we're still in the top 25.

The only way any of this is plausible is if he decides to retire. I'm not sure when that will happen, but we should be able to hire a good coach whenever it does.

Oct 30, 2007
Whoever approved that awful contract needs to be fired first.
His old contract called for him to receive 75% of his remaining salary if he was fired. So we're in a better position if a change does need to be made in the future. Hopefully he'll either find a way to turn things around or ride off into the sunset before we ever need to worry about that though.

I know that Coach Gundy is a polarizing figure, but he's committed a lot of his life to this football program. He's played a pivotal role in the elevation of this program over the past 15-20 years. Regardless of when it happens, I hope he exits gracefully and becomes enshrined in the ring of honor.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
His old contract called for him to receive 75% of his remaining salary if he was fired. So we're in a better position if a change does need to be made in the future. Hopefully he'll either find a way to turn things around or ride off into the sunset before we ever need to worry about that though.

I know that Coach Gundy is a polarizing figure, but he's committed a lot of his life to this football program. He's played a pivotal role in the elevation of this program over the past 15-20 years. Regardless of when it happens, I hope he exits gracefully and becomes enhrined in the ring of honor.
I’d like to hear his real candid thoughts on bedlam, the “little brother” crap, 2013 and his record and how much it means to the fan base once he retires. If he really looks at it like he says he does in press conferences that’s disappointing

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
If that stadium isn't full next year it's going to cost $20,000,000 anyway. We are going to hemorrhage fans with the crap offense being put on the field now. No one likes boring, look at the attendance drop in goonerville between the Tubbs basketball era and Sampson era.

Nov 14, 2010
If that stadium isn't full next year it's going to cost $20,000,000 anyway. We are going to hemorrhage fans with the crap offense being put on the field now. No one likes boring, look at the attendance drop in goonerville between the Tubbs basketball era and Sampson era.
100% agree

The problem is, will the guy you bring in generate that much more excitement to pack the stands

OSU will lose financially if we remove Gundy

There really is no way around it

I'm so tired of his crap offense

He was handed the schematics of the exact offense OSU needs and he scrapped it to run his offense.

It's really infuriating!

Nov 14, 2010
The 1st thing we need to do this offseason is to pay Brandon Weeden or Clint Chelf to come back and install the offense we ran when they played.

Dunn is a good coach

Give him those schematics, let him recruit to that offense and turn him loose in that offense.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Im not spending another dollar to go to games until a change is made.

Nov 14, 2010
Im not spending another dollar to go to games until a change is made.
Until this year. I had not missed a home game in I don't know how long

I had the chance to go to every home game this year and had 0 desire and went to none.

Seriously, if Gundy is going to put this little effort in game planning and having and kind of creativity then it becomes very uninspiring.

It has become more frustrating to watch OSU play football than it is fun.

These coaches do this for a living

How in the world is inside and outside zone the only thing they can come up with in the run game with all that time?

Aug 26, 2004
But Coach Gundy is considered one of the top 25, sometimes top 15 Coaches in College Football. It just so happens uo is in the top 10.

Maybe he has lost his luster.

What I was thinking when I started this thread is we need, recruiting, energy, excitement, innovation, game involvement and transparency with the fans and media. Even Les Miles fit that better during his stop. I want to see a Coach jump a player for making a wrong play in a game. Even Coach Eddie Sutton would pull someone in a basketball game. He may have not pulled the one that screwed up, but he pulled someone.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The 1st thing we need to do this offseason is to pay Brandon Weeden or Clint Chelf to come back and install the offense we ran when they played.

Dunn is a good coach

Give him those schematics, let him recruit to that offense and turn him loose in that offense.
I've REEEEALLY wanted Weeden to come back to OSU as the HC or OC, but no clue if he'd even want that. Seems more like a guy that would enjoy a less stressful life doing HVAC commercials and playing golf everyday.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Lincoln Riley was at OU whrn they promoted him to head Coach

Dabo Swinney was at Clemson when they promoted him

The reason why having ties is a good idea is because it greatly reduces risk.

Thats because, not only do you already know these people and have an intricate knowledge of how they do things, you also know how they function in Stillwater and at OSU.

When hiring guys like Les Miles, Mike Gundy, Josh Holliday etc... that had no head coaching experience, it made it much less risky already knowing how they operate both as a person and with OSU.

They already know the area

They know the High School coaches

They know how to hit the ground running at OSU and how to most successfully make a place like OSU work.

As I said earlier, some coaches are good enough to have success no matter where they are at.

But, just like players, the vast, vast majority of coaches need the right fit to operate successfully.

So.... finding the right fit at a place like OSU, KState etc.... is more important than anything else.

By having past experience with coaches with ties to OSU, you have eliminated one, and quite possibly the most important possible point of failure and that is whether they will fit.
That type of thinking is why you’d better just be happy with what you’ve got. There’s nobody with OSU ties that would be even close to as good as Gundy, much less better. Also, I clearly indicated that Riley and Swinney came to their jobs first as position coaches.

Les had no OSU ties and he wasn’t afraid of OU and had a .500 record against them with much less talent. If he had these facilities and was paid $5 million a year he’d likely still be here.

OU thought like you once and hired a guy with OU ties (John Blake) and how’d that work out for them? Then they pulled their heads out of their asses and just hired the best available candidate and within two years they had a National Title, played for two more and had an 18 year run of winning the Big 12 nearly every year.

Just get the best candidate and the rest will take care of itself.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That type of thinking is why you’d better just be happy with what you’ve got. There’s nobody with OSU ties that would be even close to as good as Gundy, much less better. Also, I clearly indicated that Riley and Swinney came to their jobs first as position coaches.

Les had no OSU ties and he wasn’t afraid of OU and had a .500 record against them with much less talent. If he had these facilities and was paid $5 million a year he’d likely still be here.

OU thought like you once and hired a guy with OU ties (John Blake) and how’d that work out for them? Then they pulled their heads out of their asses and just hired the best available candidate and within two years they had a National Title, played for two more and had an 18 year run of winning the Big 12 nearly every year.

Just get the best candidate and the rest will take care of itself.
My friend...Coach Les Miles was an OSU Assistant for Bob Simmons for 2 years 96-98, then spent one year as tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys...just so you know. So, he was an internal OSU hire. He was also basically offered the OSU facilities that Mike Gundy has, but denied/missed/underprioritized Boone to even really discuss the playing surface that Boone was offering. He missed meetings and didn't know how to treat the biggest donor in our history...He kind of brushing him off. If he was suppose to play golf, he would come up with an excuse not to play or just not show up. Boone wanted more access and Miles did NOT give it to him. At least this is my understanding. He did beat ou twice, but he didn't manage the program very well in terms of it's future. He cheated in recruiting and brought in really bad dudes in many instances. I liked Les and thought his swagger in the ou game was great, but he was doing things the wrong way for a quick fix. This is why he was the wrong hire for KU, they need a developer of Alumni support in order to get an influx of money and that was not his strength here. What they are getting is a guy who needs talent and will get it ONLY if they allow him to overlook some really bad apples to do it. I somehow doubt they will do that.

Another thing you need to get through your head is that we aren't a top ten Blue Blood...and comparing us to one is folly. It's easy for teams that constantly and consistently draw 85-110K fans on gameday and have a vast networks of money pouring into their programs from tv rights and big money donors...not just one guy like the former Boone Pickens, but multiple multi generational guys. They CAN and DO hire a good coach (like Mike Gundy) and it puts them directly back on the top of the mountain because they have a mountain to be put on. Certainly we have a big hill...but we don't have a mountain, we still need to built it...and that's going to take some sort of reform and talent distribution/sharing OR cheating AND a bigger donating fanbase. Since we can't and shouldn't cheat...how do we equalize talent and grow our hill of a fanbase into a mountain? This is and will always be our dilemma, until we slove it. Facilities, Uniforms, winning bowls are all a part of the process which we have achieved...we just need to keep pushing...but the biggest push needs to be to increase talent and fanbase.

Last edited: