What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
To follow up on my earlier post

Todd Monken

Bring in JW Walsh aa a relentless recruiter that know how to sell OSU

Then bring back Doug Meacham, Joe Deforrst and Josh Henson

Keep Kasey Dunn. Joe Bob Clements and Greg Richmond
Lost me at DeForest and in all honesty, what has Walsh done as a coach to warrant exceptional merit? Realize early stops are stepping stones, but the fact he wears burnt orange right now turns me off as well.

Oct 30, 2007
Great post...I would also like Coach Gundy to be involved in that process and to give him a good team like Stoops did...That being said it would likely be an assistant of his...either or current or past like Monken or others...Several of Gundy's past assistants have been semi successful head coaches. AND that being said, I'd prefer someone younger...not sure if Dunn could do it, but I THINK he might be a good choice...certainly has been an awesome WR coach and seems to get along with the kids.
I really like the idea of Coach Monken. He's an elite playcaller and he took Southern Miss from winless to the conference championship game in 3 short years. It's clear that he can build a program. The only downside is that he's one year older than Coach Gundy. So he might not be a long term solution.

I couldn't really get excited about Fedora or Holgorsen after seeing them fail at other programs. Dunn would be the perfect candidate if he proved himself to be an elite playcaller like Riley did under Stoops. I'm not sure that's going to happen though.

I always liked the idea of bringing Leach back to the Big 12. I think he would love the opportunity to stick it to Texas Tech every year. But I doubt that he'll leave the $EC where he's making $5 million per year.

Marcus Arroyo is another name to watch. He's started out 0-4, but he needs time to build his program and prove himself. He could be a good candidate to replace Coach Gundy if he has a high level of success at UNLV.

Nov 14, 2010
Lost me at DeForest and in all honesty, what has Walsh done as a coach to warrant exceptional merit? Realize early stops are stepping stones, but the fact he wears burnt orange right now turns me off as well.
De Forest knows how to recruit to OSU which is what we need.

Not sure why anyone would have reservations about bringing Walsh back into the mix

Walsh would carry al lot of weight for us in the Dallas area

Last edited:

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Unfortunately they are and pretty are that same level better than everyone else in the conference other than Texas who they are 6 for 16 better than.
Texas is not a good program. They are mediocre at best and have been for a decade.

Texas football is like Nike’s factory outlet stores. Technically it’s Nike, but it’s never the Jordan’s or the best stuff there.

Aug 16, 2012
De Forest knows how to recruit to OSU which is what we need
If you say so, but as a recruit, I wonder why the guy in my living room has bounced around to four different schools in the past 10 years and his only DC experience has been for one year and it was a certifiable disaster. And please do not bring up the disproven claim about his special teams prowess. That has been debunked for years.

Aug 16, 2012
De Forest knows how to recruit to OSU which is what we need.

Not sure why anyone would have reservations about bringing Walsh back into the mix
What does Walsh bring to the table? Nothing. Listen, he is a great guy, but at this point in his career he has accomplished nothing that warrants a leadership role (position coach) at a D1 school looking to do something other than "get along". Literally hundreds of coaches with better resumes.

Nov 14, 2010
If you say so, but as a recruit, I wonder why the guy in my living room has bounced around to four different schools in the past 10 years and his only DC experience has been for one year and it was a certifiable disaster. And please do not bring up the disproven claim about his special teams prowess. That has been debunked for years.
I certainly dont want him to be our DC, nor would he be the DC at OSU so that point really doesnt have any bearing on what a recruit would think about him.

I want him to recruit and to bring some energy

He knows how to sell OSU and Stillwater.

Nov 14, 2010
What does Walsh bring to the table? Nothing. Listen, he is a great guy, but at this point in his career he has accomplished nothing that warrants a leadership role (position coach) at a D1 school looking to do something other than "get along". Literally hundreds of coaches with better resumes.
Inside tracks to relations and recruiting in the Dallas Metro

Nov 14, 2010
And....
Walsh would be another guy that knows how to sell Stillwater and OSU to metro area kids and another young guy with legs and energy

And a comraderie and familiar trust with Monken and all the other guys on the staff

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
I really like the idea of Coach Monken. He's an elite playcaller and he took Southern Miss from winless to the conference championship game in 3 short years. It's clear that he can build a program. The only downside is that he's one year older than Coach Gundy. So he might not be a long term solution.

I couldn't really get excited about Fedora or Holgorsen after seeing them fail at other programs. Dunn would be the perfect candidate if he proved himself to be an elite playcaller like Riley did under Stoops. I'm not sure that's going to happen though.

I always liked the idea of bringing Leach back to the Big 12. I think he would love the opportunity to stick it to Texas Tech every year. But I doubt that he'll leave the $EC where he's making $5 million per year.

Marcus Arroyo is another name to watch. He's started out 0-4, but he needs time to build his program and prove himself. He could be a good candidate to replace Coach Gundy if he has a high level of success at UNLV.
I mentioned Arroyo yesterday. He is struggling in his first HC job with a bottom dweller right now but has proven his chops at other stops. When he turns UNLV around, he will field offers from a lot of deep-pocket schools.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
I certainly dont want him to be our DC, nor would he be the DC at OSU so that point really doesnt have any bearing on what a recruit would think about him.

Based on? Honest question. Do not recall 2005-2011 recruiting classes loaded with top-tier talent. yes, the occasional, or even moderate number including the likes of Simms, but do not recall him bringing in loads of big-name talent. Who was he responsible for?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Texas is not a good program. They are mediocre at best and have been for a decade.

Texas football is like Nike’s factory outlet stores. Technically it’s Nike, but it’s never the Jordan’s or the best stuff there.
They are the best of the programs vs ou...thats what I'm comparing

Nov 14, 2010
Based on? Honest question. Do not recall 2005-2011 recruiting classes loaded with top-tier talent. yes, the occasional, or even moderate number including the likes of Simms, but do not recall him bringing in loads of big-name talent. Who was he responsible for?
To name a few

Shaun Lewis
Russell Okung
Bobbie Reid
Darrent Wiliams
Dan Bailey
Matt Fodge
Jacob Lacey
Markelle Martin
Daytowion Lowe
Jason Rodriquez
Beau Johnson
Jordan Barnes
Keith Toston
Joe Okafor
Johnny Thomas
Broderick Brown

He can reel in the some 4 star players, but is also really good at finding guys like Broderick Brown and Darrent Williams

Nov 6, 2010

I think maybe the 2010 DeForest would be worth a try, but the 2021 DeFo, I don't think would bring the things you are giving him credit for.