What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Gundy sees himself as infallible and that is why he has peaked. We know he is overly involved in the Offense, but doesn't own it.

He states "I didn't like our concept". He singles himself out as thinking the concept being bad and implies that others thought it was a good concept.

He states "I thought we could have done a better job". He singles himself out as the only one thinking this and deflecting fault to the other coaches with "we".

Then reinforced it with "I don't think we had the plans". Again the same thing.

He continues to make statements that show "himself" as having the vision to see the issues, but puts the entire blame on "we".

https://twitter.com/jacobunruh/status/1330906183851454464

So you’d rather he say.....
My offensive plan wasn’t good
My defensive plan wasn’t good
My ST plan wasn’t good.
I didn’t block well
I didn’t tackle well
I wasn’t good at calling plays
I didn’t play gap sound
I was sloppy
Well, you get the idea

When plans are good, he gives credit to other
When effort is good, he credits others.
When play is good, he gives credit to the asst coaches and players

When things don’t go well, it’s a collective failure. As it should be.

The criticism gets so ridiculous with some fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Hire a guy that has never coached at any level as HC or OC?? Come on man, if we hire Weeden it needs to be in that analyst/consultant capacity position like we did with Harrell when we first installed that offense.
We we hired an OC that never called plays. Its like hiring an accountant that has never filed a tax return.
That’s not true. Even if it were, every play caller has to have a rookie season.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
That’s not true. Even if it were, every play caller has to have a rookie season.

They should cut their teeth at a lower level of football like G5 or division 2. OSU had a team that could compete for a playoff spot talent wise. Kiffin left Saban and he replaced him with sarkisian. This was a huge mistake no way around it. The offense is not performing up to its talent level and the players are largely the same the main difference is the OC.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

They should cut their teeth at a lower level of football like G5 or division 2. OSU had a team that could compete for a playoff spot talent wise. Kiffin left Saban and he replaced him with sarkisian. This was a huge mistake no way around it. The offense is not performing up to its talent level and the players are largely the same the main difference is the OC.
Yeah, right. QB and OL play have nothing to do with offensive football.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
So you’d rather he say.....
My offensive plan wasn’t good
My defensive plan wasn’t good
My ST plan wasn’t good.
I didn’t block well
I didn’t tackle well
I wasn’t good at calling plays
I didn’t play gap sound
I was sloppy
Well, you get the idea

When plans are good, he gives credit to other
When effort is good, he credits others.
When play is good, he gives credit to the asst coaches and players

When things don’t go well, it’s a collective failure. As it should be.

The criticism gets so ridiculous with some fans.

The problem is not about who to blame and who to credit.

The problems are the bad plans, executions and energy.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
How about Paul Bryant? Knute Rockne?

Or.. or..Tom Osborne? Bobby Bowden? Nick Saban? Dabo?

I know the perfect coach.. Foghorn Leghorn! Well, I say.. I say.. I say!

Wait.. I know.. my Pee-wee football coach went undefeated for, like, 7 years straight. Let's hope we hire him!
We already had Foghorn, you ever listen, I say you ever listen to Pat Jones?

Jun 25, 2011
I have a better suggestion. What does Gundy need to do to become more elite?

We have ourselves an dilemma. Gundy can win against the other Big 12 teams, no problem (with a slight few hiccups) but he can not beat UO for the life of him.

Since realignment (2012), OSU is the #2 program of the Big 12 despite only having 1 championship to show for it. To be fair, 6 of those years are going to UO.

So, I think it’s better we fix the ship by plugging in holes and doing whatever we can to make it rather than abandoning it all together. The problem is....what are those holes?

Yes...yes. He loses games when we should’ve won them (TCU, KSU 2017, UT 2020 come to mind) but why is that? I mean does all the blame go to Gundy? What about the Players?

I believe Gundy can lead us to a National Championship one day. I really do. I believe he needs to figure out what’s really preventing us from going elite. As the others have said, ISU and KSU are competing with UO with less talent and resources. There must be fundamental issues at hand.
Gundy has done some really nice things with the program, but he isn’t self aware enough to improve in areas he is lacking.