What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 4, 2017
Tulsa
I don’t know... maybe someone who will hire a great staff. And will input some special plays just for certain teams. The wart on okc always has something new for us. Like two or three new things. And I would like the new AD to schedule the bedlam game earlier. Lincoln is undefeated in Nov!

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Someone who would be loyal to us and not jump ship at the first opportunity. Someone that can recruit well to great. Someone that can be innovative with the schemes, coaches, and the program without cheating. Unfortunately I don't see many if any candidates that match that list. Only name that might, and its a big MIGHT is Zac Robinson.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
PJ Fleck, Tom Allen, Pat Fitzgerald, VERY positive Guys like that...and that might be people who wouldn't sniff us...All that being said I think Gundy retires here and has one more run in him...Covid year has to give him a semi pass...it's been one hell of a disrupted year.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Someone who would be loyal to us and not jump ship at the first opportunity. Someone that can recruit well to great. Someone that can be innovative with the schemes, coaches, and the program without cheating. Unfortunately I don't see many if any candidates that match that list. Only name that might, and its a big MIGHT is Zac Robinson.
Love Zac...not sure he would be intrested...but I bet Gundy would love that as well as that would be a retirement type choice I could see him making..

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Run a clean program (Gundy does this very well), develop young men on and off the field (the Gundy program does this well I believe), recruit (Gundy admittedly doesn’t ask his staff to work as hard at this as other schools), and coach to win (Gundy plays the odds and doesn’t take chances).

The last two points are what I feel we are missing, emphasizing recruiting and coaching to win. I do feel like the players fight hard every weekend, but our coaching staff takes their cues from Gundy and he likes to play it safe. It is why he is good at winning 7-10 games most years, but doesn’t beat teams that are better than us.

Oct 30, 2007
If Coach Gundy were to retire, these are the attributes I would look for in a new coach:
1. Integrity - I don't want a dirty coach, regardless of how successful they are.
2. Success - He should have proven he can win at a group of 5 or lesser P5 program.
3. Dynamic recruiter - I want someone that isn't afraid to go after anyone, regardless of how highly they're ranked or where they live. I don't want someone that will be content with classes ranked in the upper 30's & lower 40's.
4. Willing to play the CEO role - I want someone that will hire the best coordinators possible and allow them to call plays without interference. I also want someone that will hire the best position coaches possible. I don't want a coach that hires a staff based off continuity.
5. Oklahoma State background - I would love to hire someone that played or coached here. This isn't a requirement though, it's more of a preference. We should hire the best coach possible. We'll love anyone that's highly successful, regardless of where they came from.

Finding a coach that possesses all of those attributes will be a difficult task, but we'll have to try at some point though. Coach Gundy said once when he was young that he thought he would retire some time around 50. Obviously that changed somewhat, but I'm not sure he wants to coach until he's an old man.

Nov 14, 2010
Let's say Coach Gundy steps down as HC.

What would you like to see (besides a winner) in a new Head Coach?

Like I mentioned earlier: Less arrogance....
Counter scheme
Hot scheme in the middle of the field
Waggle scheme in the flats
3 pronged read option concepts
Single read 1/2 player route concepts with homerun ball at the back of it
A return to the scat concepts we used to run

Basically.... that almost completley describes OU's offense

Then... in recruiting.....a protege of Mike Boynton and Josh Holliday

In terms of fan relations. Josh Holliday

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If Coach Gundy were to retire, these are the attributes I would look for in a new coach:
1. Integrity - I don't want a dirty coach, regardless of how successful they are.
2. Success - He should have proven he can win at a group of 5 or lesser P5 program.
3. Dynamic recruiter - I want someone that isn't afraid to go after anyone, regardless of how highly they're ranked or where they live. I don't want someone that will be content with classes ranked in the upper 30's & lower 40's.
4. Willing to play the CEO role - I want someone that will hire the best coordinators possible and allow them to call plays without interference. I also want someone that will hire the best position coaches possible. I don't want a coach that hires a staff based off continuity.
5. Oklahoma State background - I would love to hire someone that played or coached here. This isn't a requirement though, it's more of a preference. We should hire the best coach possible. We'll love anyone that's highly successful, regardless of where they came from.

Finding a coach that possesses all of those attributes will be a difficult task, but we'll have to try at some point though. Coach Gundy said once when he was young that he thought he would retire some time around 50. Obviously that changed somewhat, but I'm not sure he wants to coach until he's an old man.
Great post...I would also like Coach Gundy to be involved in that process and to give him a good team like Stoops did...That being said it would likely be an assistant of his...either or current or past like Monken or others...Several of Gundy's past assistants have been semi successful head coaches. AND that being said, I'd prefer someone younger...not sure if Dunn could do it, but I THINK he might be a good choice...certainly has been an awesome WR coach and seems to get along with the kids.

Aug 16, 2012

Good list. I especially like #4.

Nov 14, 2010
To follow up on my earlier post

Todd Monken

Bring in JW Walsh and Rashaun Woods as relentless recruiters that know how to sell OSU

Then bring back Doug Meacham, Joe Deforrst and Josh Henson

Keep Kasey Dunn. Joe Bob Clements and Greg Richmond

Let Meacham call the offense
Let Joe Bob call the defense

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Overall, I like Gundy 51 weeks a year. This Bedlam horse crap is unacceptable. The school in Norman is good. But they aren’t 2 for 17 level better than us.
Unfortunately they are and pretty are that same level better than everyone else in the conference other than Texas who they are 6 for 16 better than.

Aug 16, 2012
I think Leach is too old...I like him more than I used too, but he's also very Mike Gundy esque...Plus Gundy has a winning record against him as well.
Not advocating for Leach, but he did almost beat Georgia yesterday. Made people pay attention to WSU for the first time since Bledsoe. Not a great record year-to-year but you have to admit, he took over schools that were clearly in the bottom half of their conferences. Only 5-6 year age difference from Gundy.