What We'd All Like To Know

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't really see anything substantive in the prediction of Brown as the starter. Just restating what we already know: Brown's got some experience from his days at Hawaii & that Sanders doesn't.
Next story sets up the predicted starting offensive lineup. I'm sure Dru is good and Hawaii is my third favorite behind Wash St and beloved first. Yet, I've heard nothing but praise for our young untested qb. I heard about him living close to Denton and I've heard about him in practice. I really want to see him the next three years as the starter. I like longetivity at that position of course, we all do. Maybe since our new OC ran 3 qbs at the same time, maybe he'll run 2.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Next story sets up the predicted starting offensive lineup. I'm sure Dru is good and Hawaii is my third favorite behind Wash St and beloved first. Yet, I've heard nothing but praise for our young untested qb. I heard about him living close to Denton and I've heard about him in practice. I really want to see him the next three years as the starter. I like longetivity at that position of course, we all do. Maybe since our new OC ran 3 qbs at the same time, maybe he'll run 2.
Right, but this is literally all that is said by the writer:

Will There Be An Actual Quarterback Competition This Season?
Going into 2018, there was a race at quarterback that involved up to four candidates at one time. Gundy sided with experience in the system in that case, but which way will he go this year? There two primary candidates, neither of whom separated in the spring.

Dru Brown, the senior Hawaii transfer, has the experience with 700 collegiate passes on his stat sheet. Excitement has been building in Stillwater, though, about the arrival of former four star quarterback Spencer Sanders since he got to campus last year.

Both signal callers have a lot in common, but Sanders might have the higher ceiling. Neither really benefits from sitting out this season, so is Gundy likely to give them both a chance with live reps? The answer might be dictated by how the win/loss column start to look as the season starts rolling.

There's really nothing there that hasn't already been talked about multiple times around here, nothing. It's just this guy's opinion, without a single quote or attribution to anyone involved.

I'm with you, though, in that continuity at QB has generally been good for us under Gundy, & the years where the program's slid back are the ones where there was no clear choice at QB. Having said that, if Gundy goes with Brown, it assures us of a 3rd starting QB for the 3rd year in a row & Sanders potentially transfers.

It's the QB position, so it's anyone's guess how Gundy handles it, but as I've said before if it's even close, go with Sanders & the future.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't really see anything substantive in the prediction of Brown as the starter. Just restating what we already know: Brown's got some experience from his days at Hawaii & that Sanders doesn't.
Yep, Sanders was never at Hawaii

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The one thing Gundy said that made me wonder if Brown is still on the inside track was something like "I want to go with the one that will make the fewest mistakes". That would sound like an endorsement of Brown.

Jan 14, 2006
I didn't go nor read the latest but that's why I'm here now. What did you see?
Sanders is very talented and will hopefully be great one day. That being said, he threw late and into coverage way too much. Threw two terrible picks in 7 on 7 with no rush. He looked really good going against the twos because he threw to C.J. Moore, who was dominate against the backup DBs. He looked pretty good in two minute and when he used his legs.

Brown was solid. Made the correct reads and threw the ball on time. He had a terrible pick in the end zone at the end of the day when AJ bailed on his man and made a great play.

Both guys have nice deep balls and can move around well. I think we all want Sanders to win the job and the coaches are definitely giving him every chance to. It was just one practice but the mistakes Sanders made would cost us games. With the talent we have on O, Brown would be the safe choice. Especially if Sanders keeps throwing at the other team. There is a long way to go until fall. Like I said before, I’ll cheer for both guys and hope for the best.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Sanders is very talented and will hopefully be great one day. That being said, he threw late and into coverage way too much. Threw two terrible picks in 7 on 7 with no rush. He looked really good going against the twos because he threw to C.J. Moore, who was dominate against the backup DBs. He looked pretty good in two minute and when he used his legs.

Brown was solid. Made the correct reads and threw the ball on time. He had a terrible pick in the end zone at the end of the day when AJ bailed on his man and made a great play.

Both guys have nice deep balls and can move around well. I think we all want Sanders to win the job and the coaches are definitely giving him every chance to. It was just one practice but the mistakes Sanders made would cost us games. With the talent we have on O, Brown would be the safe choice. Especially if Sanders keeps throwing at the other team. There is a long way to go until fall. Like I said before, I’ll cheer for both guys and hope for the best.
One other question. Did you get to see their legs? Any designed qb runs?