What Trump has said about the Russian cyber attack.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2009
I don't recall this much fuss during the Obama administration when the Chinese hacked the OPM and stole records of 22.1 Americans. This includes records of people who had undergone background checks, as well as their friends and family, many of whom were not government employees. It has been described by federal officials as among the largest breaches of government data in the history of the United States.

We believe that the Central Personnel Data File was the targeted database, and that the hackers are now in possession of all personnel data for every federal employee, every federal retiree, and up to one million former federal employees. Cox stated that the AFGE believes that the breach compromised military records, veterans' status information, addresses, dates of birth, job and pay history, health insurance and life insurance information, pension information, and data on age, gender, and race.

The stolen data included 5.6 million sets of fingerprints.

This was bad sh*t. They got a list of people with security clearances and all their data.

The US government can hack into any sytem they want at any time they want and they do. There is literally nothing you can do to defend yourself from a determined adversary, just recover. Anybody that believes their data or their systems are secure is naive or ignorant.
I can’t disagree with you about whether the United States government can do what you say they can do. Should we consider it an act of war if someone does it to us?
So what point are you making?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Your funny and wrong.
Three very simple direct answers to three very simple questions that you could give to prove it.

Is it still his responsibility?

Should he be doing something about it/responding?

And are you giving him a pass for any reason?

So.....prove me wrong.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I can’t disagree with you about whether the United States government can do what you say they can do. Should we consider it an act of war if someone does it to us?
The point he is making is “Yeah, but.....Obama.”:blink:

Nov 6, 2010
Here is the difference. I have moved on , Biden will be president on Jan 20 . It's way easier than worrying about stuff yout can't control. Now I just laugh at you guys griping.
That's great that you're letting by gone's be by gone's, but we still have a compromised president in office for another month or so.

Sep 12, 2008
If it wasn't an act of war under Obama then its not an act of war under Trump.

Let's not pretend the US has the moral high ground when it comes to hacking.

If companies like Fireeye cannot defend themselves then nobody can.

I'm sure the next administration will give them a stern talking to.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
If it wasn't an act of war under Obama then its not an act of war under Trump.

Let's not pretend the US has the moral high ground when it comes to hacking.

If companies like Fireeye cannot defend themselves then nobody can.

I'm sure the next administration will give them a stern talking to.
That sounds an awful lot like giving Trump a pass because....

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Is it 2016? Wasn’t there Russian interference with our election then via hacking? Were we told then it was massive and may have altered the outcome. Didn’t the president admit it was best to do nothing so as not to appear meddling? And then the next 2 years was full of Russian collusion. It seems a precedent has been set.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I'm saying he should be held to the same standard as his predecessor. And that you guys should hold Biden to the same standards you applied to Trump.
Yep, that’s giving him a pass because.......Obama.

Maybe you should hold Trump to the same standards as you held Obama and will be holding Biden.

Otherwise both sides are hypocrites.

Sep 12, 2008
Yep, that’s giving him a pass because.......Obama.

Maybe you should hold Trump to the same standards as you held Obama and will be holding Biden.

Otherwise both sides are hypocrites.
I actually I gave both Obama and Trump a pass. Do you?

Neither was an act of war. Its espionage and we are very good at it as well.

The OPM hack was simple but devastating in what was leaked.

The Solarwinds hack was sophisticated. They inject malware into one of the most popular products used by thousands of companies, the state of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma. If they hadn't hack Fireeye we still probably wouldn't even know it was happening.

Maybe we should focus on the Solarwinds execs who sold 286 million dollars worth of stock just days before the announcement occurred.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004

The Solarwinds hack was sophisticated. They inject malware into one of the most popular products used by thousands of companies, the state of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma. If they hadn't hack Fireeye we still probably wouldn't even know it was happening.

Maybe we should focus on the Solarwinds execs who sold 286 million dollars worth of stock just days before the announcement occurred.
You really didn’t, but I understand why you might try to portray it as that.

I don’t give either one of them a pass. Cyber security of federal computer systems is of critical priority for the executive branch.

Your response is basically a lackadaisical shoulder shrug and a “what are you gonna do...it’s only espionage” level of surrender along with a side of “let Biden handle it”.

:derp:

Mar 11, 2006

To me the story is .... have a better password.

Solarwinds actually used “solarwinds123“ as the password. DNC and Podesta actually used “password” as the password. When I first read that I thought it was a joke, but those were actual passwords.
I have a stronger Netflix password than that.

Sep 12, 2008
You really didn’t, but I understand why you might try to portray it as that.

I don’t give either one of them a pass. Cyber security of federal computer systems is of critical priority for the executive branch.

Your response is basically a lackadaisical shoulder shrug and a “what are you gonna do...it’s only espionage” level of surrender along with a side of “let Biden handle it”.

:derp:
Was it an act of war?

What should our response be?

Would the Russion attribution hold up in court?

Sep 12, 2008
To me the story is .... have a better password.

Solarwinds actually used “solarwinds123“ as the password. DNC and Podesta actually used “password” as the password. When I first read that I thought it was a joke, but those were actual passwords.
I have a stronger Netflix password than that.
That is always the story!

Solarwinds should be embarrassed.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Whether it's Obama or Trump it's possible there is more going on behind the scenes than is made public when it comes to addressing international espionage.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Was it an act of war?

What should our response be?

Would the Russion attribution hold up in court?
Did I say it was an act of war?

The answer, you will find....is no.

Keep spinning.

Keep deflecting.

Keep defending.

It’s what you Trumpets do.