What to expect on defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU's defense will be...

• Total voters

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Geez, I feel a lot better about our defense given we were missing about half of them on the road and still held a p5 team to 36 pts.
Really need Henry and Antwine back.

I’d say the same for Harper and Bundage but I’m not as hopeful there.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Ohio State gave up 31 points to them last year and had all kinds of problems stopping their running back who I think is an outstanding player. I am also going to take a wait and see attitude regarding this defense.
And the Co-Coordinator of that stalwart defense is now down the road in Norman? Maybe Schiano had more say in the defense than Grinch did.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Hate to say it but their "backup" threw a swing pass to the flat in the fourth quarter and there wasn't a guy within six yards of the receiver when he caught it Got some horrible deja vu on either busted assignments or bad scheming on that play. Normally you'd see defensive guys closing in as the receiver catches it but nothing of the sort.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Geez, I feel a lot better about our defense given we were missing about half of them on the road and still held a p5 team to 36 pts.
"Held" a team to only 36 points? A team that went 2-10 last season. You're encouraged by that somehow? I predicted that we would hold them in the 20's, but our scheme looked horrific in so many scenarios. It looks like we're playing with 10 guys on the field most plays.

Nov 6, 2010
"Held" a team to only 36 points? A team that went 2-10 last season. You're encouraged by that somehow? I predicted that we would hold them in the 20's, but our scheme looked horrific in so many scenarios. It looks like we're playing with 10 guys on the field most plays.
Man, I get it. My expectations on D are pretty low as we don't recruit very well on that side of the ball. But of the few defensive recruits that we did get, Bundage and Antwine mainly, they didn't even make the trip. Add in another potential starting LB and some reserves, I think I'm ok with the results.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Man, I get it. My expectations on D are pretty low as we don't recruit very well on that side of the ball. But of the few defensive recruits that we did get, Bundage and Antwine mainly, they didn't even make the trip. Add in another potential starting LB and some reserves, I think I'm ok with the results.
Missing 3 of our best 4 linebackers and our most athletic DT will certainly skew the results and should be kept in mind.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Does anyone know what's going on with Harper? He might be our most consistent/reliable LB but I feel like I haven't heard a thing about his injury/timetable to return.
The only thing I’ve heard is that the soonest Harper would be back would be for the Texas game. But that is the best case scenario and I think it’s more likely that he misses much more of the season.

Nov 6, 2010
Another thing that might help the defense this year is our offense doesn't seem so reliant on the big play as it has in the last few years. I know that could have been just based on the opponent, but I liked the way we held the ball and got first downs all night long. If that holds true for the season, I think the D will be better just for getting more time on the sideline, and the other team's offense having a harder time getting into their own rhythm.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Missing 3 of our best 4 linebackers and our most athletic DT will certainly skew the results and should be kept in mind.
That, plus I noticed we went very "passive" on defense. I didn't realize HOW passive. According to TDL, we blitzed on 5 out of 76 plays (IIRC), which, combined with the missing starters and young DL, is why we looked so soft. Hopefully Knowles is able to scheme better gameplans as the season unfolds, since this game didn't necessarily require it.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Frank Bonner II on Malcolm Rodriguez...

About two weeks before the end of training camp, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy went to his veteran safety, Malcolm Rodriguez, and told him the Cowboys needed him at linebacker.

OSU came into the season a little banged up at the linebacker position. Rodriguez, a junior from Wagoner, didn’t have a problem with the switch because he said it was best for the team and the coverage assignments are similar.

“His agility and speed will be a big advantage for him there,” Gundy said about Rodriguez leading into Week 1. “His size could be an issue. We’ll see how it works. A lot of the game now is played side to side.”

The switch worked out well for the Cowboys, as Rodriguez racked up nine tackles in the 52-36 victory at Oregon State on Friday. He was named OSU’s defensive MVP for the week and tied for the second-most tackles for the Cowboys.
Also from Frank on the linebacker position...

Oklahoma State linebacker Calvin Bundage missed the first game of the season at Oregon State on Friday.

Coach Mike Gundy said Bundage had a setback about 10 days ago with the back issue he’s been dealing with. Gundy kept him out and is expecting an update on Bundage sometime this week.

“We might hold him out again this week, just depends on how he’s feeling,” Gundy said. “He’s got a back issue and they’re hard to determine. Sometimes guys come back quick, sometimes they don’t.”

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
That, plus I noticed we went very "passive" on defense. I didn't realize HOW passive. According to TDL, we blitzed on 5 out of 76 plays (IIRC), which, combined with the missing starters and young DL, is why we looked so soft. Hopefully Knowles is able to scheme better gameplans as the season unfolds, since this game didn't necessarily require it.
Yeah, I’m more worried about the injuries at linebacker than vanilla schemes.

I’m not sure how much scheming can really hide the lack of LBs...I’m sure Knowles will do his best there but there’s only so much you can do to overcome both a young D-line and a injury-depleted linebacker unit.

Feb 2, 2010
Springfield, MA
Listening to Sam Mayes podcast last night (I know I know ) and he mentioned that he’d heard (not trying to start rumors) that Bundage and I quote “is not a team leader, and a headache for the coaches” but said nothing of his injury. Just curious if anyone has heard anything about this. I’ve always thought Calvin appeared to be a team player and not causing issues etc. unless I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Listening to Sam Mayes podcast last night (I know I know ) and he mentioned that he’d heard (not trying to start rumors) that Bundage and I quote “is not a team leader, and a headache for the coaches” but said nothing of his injury. Just curious if anyone has heard anything about this. I’ve always thought Calvin appeared to be a team player and not causing issues etc. unless I missed something.

Sam Mayes said that? Take it with a huge grain of salt.

When a former player gets hired to the "OSU insider" & gets fired for having no information on the team, his "sources" might lack a little credibility.

Feb 2, 2010
Springfield, MA

Sam Mayes said that? Take it with a huge grain of salt.

When a former player gets hired to the "OSU insider" & gets fired for having no information on the team, his "sources" might lack a little credibility.
Don’t worry I do, just thought it was interesting to hear that from him and have not heard mention of it here or anywhere for that matter so figured I would ask.