What to expect on defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU's defense will be...

• Total voters
Nov 6, 2010
I don't really like the poll options, so what I think we'll see is:

Less big plays
More turnovers
Longer drives/more first downs by the opponents

Oct 30, 2007
We finished last year ranked 100th in total defense and 97th in scoring defense. We should be better this year almost by default because we can't get much worse. (Knock on wood.)

I bet we will be better because Coach Knowles will have a better idea of what to expect in this league, and his players will have a full year in his system. Our safeties really grew up down the stretch last year. Our secondary could really be a strength this year. Hopefully Joe Bob will have the new defensive line ready to go, and our lack of depth won't hurt us too much at linebacker.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I don't really like the poll options, so what I think we'll see is:

Less big plays
More turnovers
Longer drives/more first downs by the opponents
So you’re worried about run defense? Death by a million cuts?

I tend to agree unless Knowles shows some creativity to fill gaps in the middle of the field (I’m not worried about runs to the boundaries). Murray and Evers have to become space cloggers to the best of their abilities.

Still, I voted “Better” because I think overall, we’ll get a lot of those stops—especially in the red zone where we did really well last season.

Oct 30, 2007
About the same which was incredibly horrible, 32.46 PPG allowed. I am hoping knowles surprises. This needs to get at least down to 26 to earn the paycheck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I hope Knowles puts his first year experience to good use and will feature an improved defense. We have to cut down on penalties and mistakes. Run defense killed us last year in a lot of games.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I hope Knowles puts his first year experience to good use and will feature an improved defense. We have to cut down on penalties and mistakes. Run defense killed us last year in a lot of games.
He’s got his work cut out for him. Run defense will still be a challenge with our lack of DL experience and being thin at LB.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Cleaning up Penalties and mistakes was Gundy’s focus of the offseason so hopefully that does happen.

I think the explosive plays against our defense last season is what really killed us. I’m hoping we can limit those with better secondary play. I can somewhat live with a not-so-good run defense between the 20’s as long as we continue to play really good redzone defense.

Last season, we were 9th in the NATION in red zone defense.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
That's the most honest and accurate response on this thread.

I chose "better" banking on Knowles history, the fact that it's his second year and he's been exposed to Big 12 offenses and had more time to implement his system and the depth of our defensive backfield. I think the D-line, with its super low expectations will be the surprise area of the team. Barring injuries I think they'll be as good or better overall than last year by mid-season. Getting the Antwine transfer was a big help and I think some guys like Tyler Lacy, Mike Scott and Trace Ford at DE are going to surprise. We need to be able to stop the run and put reasonable pressure on the QB. We don't need to have the number of sacks we had last year with a defensive backfield set to be one of the best in the Big 12.

Dec 21, 2008
4 man front vs 5 OL comes down to who else comes on the blitz? Several players have said now we know alignments now it’s technique and execution time. No one has mentioned bringing corners off the edge or safeties coming up fast. We have many many packages where I think we use our unknowns to our advantages. Our DL is just as good as anyone else’s minus 2-3 teams in the big 12. Very athletic and quick. I’d rather give up 2-3yd runs and force a turnover or long drive verses a one and done bomb

Oct 29, 2016
US
Too much youth and inexperience for me to even consider an improvement. Hope I'm wrong tho. But I'm thinking we're gonna finish with at least the 110th or worse in defense statistics by the time the season is over, if not 120th or worse.

Aug 14, 2019
OKC, OK
For me, the bottom line is I expect the 2019 OSU football team to be better than the 2018 team. Whether it's Dru Brown or Spencer Sanders, I fully expect the QB position, and the offense overall to be better than 2018. Let's see what happens.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Too much youth and inexperience for me to even consider an improvement. Hope I'm wrong tho. But I'm thinking we're gonna finish with at least the 110th or worse in defense statistics by the time the season is over, if not 120th or worse.
Are you serious about "a lot worse" in the poll? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I'm not going to question your fan hood or anything but you do know we went 7-6 last year? A lot worse than 7-6 hasn't happened since Gundy's first year.