What Orange means to me

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
What does Orange mean to me?

I was born and raised in Stillwater, for the most part. I spent some time as a child in California where I was with my mom and sisters, and my ultra abusive stepdad. Then it was just me and my mother as my sisters came home. I ended up in foster care for 111 days because of my second stepdad, and eventually by the time I was 5 I came back with my mother. Life spun out of control for a long while. I became and ultra-violent kid trying to survive. Orange meant absolutely nothing to me then.

When I was 7-8 yrs old my mother decided for a better life for her kids. My stepdad lasted six months from when we came back until he would go to prison for about 13-14yrs all told. She was tired of being a single mom of 2(oldest sister married out), and living in poverty. The school she went to, Oklahoma State University. I still cared nothing for the Orange. My mom graduated with a duel degree in Psych and Soc, then went on to complete her masters in Psyche at UCO. I spent 4yrs in Edmond and then Chandler, not particularly caring about the Orange. I respected it, but didn't really care much.

Skip ahead to when I am 22. I am married with a baby on the way, and made the biggest mistake as I left a good paying job for another working with my Brother in law at Mercruiser. Hiring had been good, and no one saw the 2001 layoffs coming yet. I found them, and my wife and I went into a down spin. Married less then a year and I had to live with my inlaws with my pregnant wife. Orange meant absolutely nothing.

I sifted through several jobs, seemingly never able to get my balance, and just about gave it all up for God knows what, and then I got an idea. I am not skilled in ways many people are, I know nothing of cars or general maintenance. I was raised by my mother and sister who knew none of that either. I had nothing to lean on for a career over the long haul. I ended up with a choice, either find something on my own or work the ranch my father in law was/is miserable on. I found the ORANGE.

4 yrs later, I am 26 happily married for 5yrs with a wonderful daughter of 5 and about to finalize the adoption of my second daughter in about a month. We continue to foster. We struggle, financially we never have enough. I am a History Major also getting my education certification at good old Oklahoma State University.

What does the Orange mean to me?

Simply put, everything. I love my life, especially my future with my family because I had the chance to go find my dream at OSU and pursue it. Teaching isn't for everyone, but hey, here I go, and I will be thankful my whole life for OSU because I know if not for it this would have never happened.

A little FYI, I believe 100% in my God. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. Through many difficult times I have been able to survive and move on. In high school for the first 2 1/2 years I was literally sleeping through, until I found God and decided to work. I stayed 9 weeks late, graduating OCT 1997, and finished with a GPA around 1.0. Pretty good considering I failed nearly everything for 3 years and got a near 4.0 to finish. I took my ACT when I was 19 on a whim of a thought of going to school and got a 20 or 21. Whatever it was just 1 point shy of being admitted outright. When I walked in at 22, pregnant wife along with me, I was not stopped by any of those obstacles because I was now and independent adult student and I could enter under a probation basis. Life has been pretty good since. The point, I would have failed at 19. At 22, I was blessed and knew that enough to do it well. I have a solid GPA and am just a few semesters from graduating. What I found at OSU is what I hope all the students find one way or another, life.

That is my Orange experience, and oh yeah, I found out that I can't get enough of rooting for my teams no matter what sport as long as they wear OSU on their jersey.

God Bless. ;)

OSUFirepolak

Federal Marshal
Jan 16, 2005
I just now ran across this thread.... really excellent!!!

how 'bout: hugging a complete stranger after a big victory.... of course I guess there are no "strangers" amoung the Orange Clad

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
I decided to do a modern rewrite. There are a lot of e-mails going around that have alternate versions of my original post. I have decided to take some of those ideas, but put them into my words and writing style. Most of the rewrites took some of the bad things out of my post, but that wasn't my original thought. My original thought was that it isn't only the good, but it is also the bad. So here is the latest update to my orignal feel good post.

Today I was sitting in my office daydreaming a little bit about the upcoming season. Of course I'm wearing my orange. I start thinking about orange and why it means so much to not only me, but the all of the Oklahoma State fans across the United States.

Is orange a particularly pretty color? no. Yet we all find it beautiful. Is it a popular color? Fashion right now has a lot of orange in it, but normally, it isn't. Is it a powerful color? it is eye catching, but not really considered a power color. So why in the world do I and the other faithful love it so much?

The color is a symbol. It is all we remember of our Oklahoma State experiences. To us it not only symbolizes all the national championships, but also 0-10-1. It is Theta Pond, it is Fraternity Row, it is the Union. It is Barry Sanders, Walt Garrison, and even Dexter Manley. It is Eddie Sutton, Leonard Hamilton, Les Miles, Pat Jones, Mike Gundy, and Henry Iba. It is the wrestling team, soccer team, and even the intramural teams. It is meeting your friends at Joes or the Hideaway. It is illegal dorm parties. It is Pistol Pete. It is the Waving Song or the Alma Mater. It is the Walk, it is tailgating. It is that girl you always wanted to ask out but never did. It is that guy that you were too shy to talk to. It is risks taken, it is wild success and fantastic failures.

It isn’t just the buildings, it is the memories that we make in them. It is late night Pizza Shuttle runs. It is no air conditioning in the dorm or getting tickets from campus police. It is not understanding your chemistry instructor or that really nerdy English grad student. It is signing up for a 5 hour class at 7:30 in the morning as a freshman. It is learning to never do that again. It is hating OU. It is Bedlam. It is showing our recruits how much we appreciate them, it is feeling disappointed when some choose to go elsewhere, or the elation of them deciding to come to OSU and join our family. It is having unbridled optimism that others call orange colored glasses.

What makes orange so very special isn’t just the best of times; it is also the worst of times. It is beating OU 16-13 but it is equal parts remembering the 10 that were taken from us in the Colorado Plane crash. It is about winning national championships, but it is also honoring the memory of Vernon Grant and the feeling of loss. It is as much the reveling in Barry’s Heisman as it is the probation that followed. It is all the highs and the lows that bring us together and form this bond that unite us all. Orange is all of those things. It is always relevant, it is always appropriate.

We can't talk about our feelings for our school without going into stories that would make people's eyes glaze over. It is hard to explain to people that the reason we wear orange isn't just because of sports. It isn't because of any one thing or even 100 things. Orange is pride in all things OSU. Be they good things or bad things, they are all part of why I love OSU. When I see people wearing OSU hats or shirts, most of the time no words have to be spoken. Just a nod or a smile and we both know that orange is something special.

Time passes… We grow up… Most of us leave Stillwater… Yet we always feel like we are back there when we wear this beautiful color. The pride we feel when our kids first put on orange and point and yell for Pete and Bullet. It is knowing that outsiders simply don’t “get it” and feeling sorry for them that they don’t. Orange is knowing that together, we can not only survive anything, but we will succeed.

I'm wearing my orange - are you?

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
Yes it was. I was called about it today by the Editor in Chief. She told me that they had handled the situation and wanted to make sure that I wasn't mad about it.

We had a nice conversation and I let her know that I had no intention of suing or causing any problems over it. I'm glad that it is still inspiring enough to people to merit being plagiarized.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

May 31, 2007
How dumb can someone be? Seriously, that a person at a college newspaper would think that plagiarism is OK or that they wouldn't get caught for it. I hadn't even read the column before I heard about the plagiarism, but after going back and reading it, I most definitely would have recognized the content right off the bat.

Feb 8, 2007
OKC
How dumb can someone be? Seriously, that a person at a college newspaper would think that plagiarism is OK or that they wouldn't get caught for it. I hadn't even read the column before I heard about the plagiarism, but after going back and reading it, I most definitely would have recognized the content right off the bat.
This is the same guy who ran for SGA president.

Apr 20, 2006
Wherever I May Roam
The guy who plagiarized it, Asher Griffin, called the Helpdesk today with a really dumb question. It took every ounce of my energy to not say something about the article, and I had to try my damnedest to not make fun of him for asking this really silly question.

Feb 8, 2007
OKC
The guy who plagiarized it, Asher Griffin, called the Helpdesk today with a really dumb question. It took every ounce of my energy to not say something about the article, and I had to try my damnedest to not make fun of him for asking this really silly question.
Yep. Same guy for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.