What Orange means to me

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Orange

My first post on this site and let me say this a tearful thread (both tears of joy and pain)=----

Orange, for me is the feeling of family every time I talk to a Poke, every time I see the color, and every time I visit Stillwater, but it's also that orange stuff half way up your leg as you pick yourself up out of theta pond.

It's that cute little blonde sorority coed who you met at Joes and has now grown into the most loving and caring wife of 18 years that a guy could have. It's also that girl that let you down easy from your schoolboy crush.

It's sitting on a frat house floor with that cute little blonde and listening to Garth Brooks because the other band wasn't available.

It's the war hero father that lived by example so his son could live by example for his son, all because of the, now grandfathers, training at Oklahoma A&M.

It's yelling your head off with that sixty-five year old father, who is as busy with the thunder sticks as any 18-year-old student. It’s knowing not to call the parents while the pokes are playing basketball if you want a word to be heard.

It's seeing your children all decked out in orange and having your two year old point at everything "Pete" and say with his blue eyes smiling "PPPPETEEEE!" Our having your 11 year old daughter who is NEVER speachless, Speachless when trying to talk to her hero, Les Miles, during the call in coaches show.

It's coaches and sports teams that know what we Alumni have always known, that OSU's a damn special place in an ever increasingly crowded and insensitive world.

It's crying like a baby when guys you don't even know die in a tragedy. It's cheering like a mad man with a tear still on your cheek when those guys’ teammates take the court against Missouri.

It's welcoming fans from other teams with a good-natured ribbing but always being good-natured in victory and in defeat. It's being proud of our heritage but never rubbing it in.

It's hideaway mushrooms and a tall glass of ice cold beer. It's late night cheese fries and dancing on tables at Joes. It’s snowball fights on the old central lawn. It’s tug o wars against that frat down the row.

It's all of those things, but most of all ----It's knowing for CERTAIN that you made the right choice because you feel even more proud of your school NOW than you did 20 years ago when you were a student!

It's spending four years wanting to leave Stillwater then spending a lifetime, living, for each time you return. It's home!

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Rack -

If your future posts are anything like that one, you're going to fit right in here. It's been a long time since a first post was as good as that one.

Jan 15, 2004
Stillwater, OK
So many people make jokes about our school colors....which is fine with me. I still wear my orange with great pride :D I am married to a sooner :eek: so makes bedlam even more fun around my house. Although, we live in Stillwater hehe. Gotta love that.

Orange to me: A few years back at our office X-mas party - I decided I was going to try ice-skating (not a smart thing on my part lol)....well ended up fracturing my elbow - didn't really know it at the time - but dang did it hurt.....didn't come back home until the next day. But instead of going to the ER right away, I had to go to the OSU basketball game first. Then I went to the ER...my husband was pissed off (him being a fireman/EMT and all). I said well my boys come first :D

Go Pokes!

Stacey

Jul 13, 2004
Harrah
FWPoke said:
I wonder what it would take to get Pampers to sign a licensing agreement with OSU?
They used to sell OSU diapers in the Student Union Store. Don't know if they still do or not. But I must agree, she is cute, but she has to cuz she's a Cowgirl!!

poker

Poker? But I don't even know her!
Aug 9, 2004
(918)
When my 1st grandson was born and still in the maternity ward, one of his aunts had a 1 piece pajama made with the following on front : OSU #1 and on the back side ou #2 pointing down towards my grandson's arse.

I think the store on S. Main in Stillwater did the work. :p

Aug 4, 2004
Inola
That's a beautiful little cowgirl. Congrats!

Orange is...
Back to Back (to Back) bowl games and 0-10-1.
Final 4 and NIT.
Traveling with the basketball team while in the Spirit Band to lovely Salina, KS and Kemper Arena in KC.:x
Traveling to Indy, Baltimore, NYC, and Seattle.:D
Being proud of wearing orange when no one outside Oklahoma believes it's worth being proud of.
Being proud of wearing orange when everyone outside Oklahoma is starting to believe it's worth being proud of.
Black Saturday and the Sea of Orange.
Late nights and early mornings studying or finishing the last 19 pages of that 20 page paper.
The Bagle shop after a cold morning of Marching Band practice.
Five different majors in 10 years of college. ("They're called Doctors." - David Spade)
Alpha Night (This reference will only make sense to a select few.)
Old GIA and New GIA.
Lewis Field and Boone Pickens Stadium.

Orange is knowing you picked the right school and never having any regrets.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
You wanna know what Orange is all about???

You gotta see it to believe it...

Example...

Today begining from 8 am until at least 4 (IE the line is still growing) there was a line from the ticket window to the church on West (a block from duck) all day long just to get student tickets for basketball.

Hands down best 2 hours in a line, I've ever spent.

BTW if theres a student waiting for tomorrow... Don't count on it, I gurantee they sellout tonight.

Name another university where kids stand in line for multiple hours in October for games to be played in Feb.

Jul 13, 2004
Harrah
I got my student tickets today too. I got there at 730 and had mine by 930 and I was standing by the southeast doors. I'm willing to bet those by Duck stree had to wait longer than 4 hours to get their tickets. But it is SO worth it. I'm ready for OSU athletics from now until infinity! There is always something good going on here weather it's FB, BB, Wrestling, Baseball, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, whatever. I'm so excited for our school. GO POKES!!

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Those going to the basketball bash remember to save your voices for the FOOTBALL game. I know it's tempting to yell and holler in the holy halls of GIA but PLEASE SAVE IT for the football game.

FWPoke

An OP OG in the DFDub
A/V Subscriber
Jun 8, 2004
Fort Worth
Heck, just gargle between games and yell like a mad man all day!! :D

Orange is sitting in Gallagher-Iba with 2 minutes left in a blowout chanting "Nate, Nate, Nate..." and even 3 years later, with 2 minutes left in a blowout, thinking "Nate, Nate, Nate..."
Orange is driving 4 hours every other Friday to be at the football games to cheer for Les and the boys.
Orange is being at the parking lot as soon as they drop the chains, so the tailgating can start.
Orange is blowing a ton of money you can't afford to blow building a tailgating trailer so everyone can see what the Pokes mean to you.
Orange is crying like a little girl when JLIII hits a 3 pointer in the last seconds to beat St. Joes, and crying like a little girl when Georgia Tech hits a shot in the final seconds to beat OSU.
Orange is sitting back and reading an OSU message board and feeling like you are chatting with your best buds.
Orange is suffering through early morning band practices and awful weather to support a team that is about to go 0-10-1.
Orange is suffering through heat exhaustion to cheer the Pokes to victory against Texas Tech in 2003.
But most of all, Orange is family, whether they are related or not.

okstate5968

Orange Power Goddess
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 15, 2003
Stillwater
www.remembertheten.com
Last night I took my kids to Hester St. to help paint messages on the street for Les and the boys during Saturday's walk. The turnout was not very big, so we had plenty of room to paint whatever we wanted.

I took the liberty of borrowing a few things from folks here...

In the middle of the street, really big, I painted " This is OUR team"... and then " Orange = Life, love, & Cowboys" ... then "4 More Years!" (thanks to the RNC and Ah-nuld!).. and "My heroes have always been Cowboys".

It was a lot of fun,and the kids loved it. For those of you who didn't make it, you really missed a good time. There were more coeds there than families, but we still had a good time.

As for the Orange Reflection...I'm not sure what I was expecting..but it wasn't what I got. There were some orange lights in trees and such outside the Residence Halls...but I was expecting MORE orange.

Oct 12, 2004
Summerville
Been debating replying again because I'm not an OSU person. Pokesports is my "boss" at CSU and so I heard him constantly talk about OSU and knew he was always on here so I wanted to check it out. Then when he left out a thing or two on his post here I had to sign up and add to what orange means to him. BUT you guys just amaze me. I grew up at CSU and grew up a Clemson fan hating everything Gamecock but I have never seen anything like you guys. I've never seen anybody as pumped up about his team as Blake can get or read/heard about people with as much school spirit as you have even years later. Ya'll just fascinate me. These post especially, I'm just in awe, that is so cool.

Oct 12, 2004
Summerville
Haha honorary Cowboy works for me. With the fight songs being played and sung all day in the office, by the time he leaves or I graduate I may like them for more than just being in awe of their fans. I do get to see the football team this weekend though which will come in handy since I'm sure that will be all pokesports will talk about Monday. I gotta have some clue of what he's talking about so might as well watch.

BTHOTU

Greenhorn
Oct 12, 2004
Just so yall know PB hatres orange as most Aggies do because tu's colors are orange. A lot of what yall think of orange is how I feel about Maroon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.