What Orange means to me

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2004
orange is having back surgery early in the morning of the houston bowl game and refusing pain med until after the game was over. the nurses made me walk in the 4th quarter and i missed to scores. taped the game and watched it 'til the tape wore out.

orange is considering club seats b/c u want to get the project finished, not to schmooze w/ the in crowd.

orange is being so proud of your university.

orange "feels like home to me, back where i come from"

go pokes

Aug 31, 2004
Claremore, OK
Orange is everything OSU and the family we all belong too. I can't imagine being involved with a better group of people. It meant enough to me that I have OSU in ORANGE permanently inked. Don't ever have to worry about being without it. See everyone in Stillwater this weekend in ORANGE!

Sep 1, 2004
To me, orange is all the great times: playing pickup basketball games with Randy Rutherford and Jason Skaer and Terry Collins. Going to Joe's and just having fun on the weekends. And of course, the sexy ladies!
To me orange is also remembering the bad times: the OSU football player who broke his neck during the game at Nebraska back in 1994, who can forget what happened in Colorado 3 years ago, and the football player who committed to OSU several years ago but in a freak play in his high school game, was paralyzed and his career was done. I can remember players from our team and coaches going to visit him. And the heartbreak from last year when we almost made it to the b-ball national championship except for an improbable shot by Georgia Tech.
But what orange really means to me is that I am proud of OSU and regardless of the outcome I will be a fan always!

poker

Poker? But I don't even know her!
Aug 9, 2004
(918)
bad grades my gosh I had them too.

Let me add after reading all of these posts. Someone mentioned 2nd chances with student athletes and such well here is my version: (I was a full time student)

OSU was the only university to grant me acceptance with my low ACT and fair GPA back in 1978. I was accepted on a probationary status my first semester and made a 2.8 that first full year. Then I found my favorite pal name Eskim Joe and my grades slipped the next full year until I finally wised up and kept my grades above a 2.75. But man once your grades fall its tough to bring them up to a decent overall GPA.

I never heard of anyone else coming in as true freshman on a probabtionary status.

OSU = Pride

Jun 29, 2004
Northwest OK
What a great thread. All kinds of warm and fuzzies.

OSU has held a special place in my heart since the first day I set foot on campus during my senior year of high school. I had already made the decision to go to OSU because of their engineering dept. Once I came to campus, though, I was hooked. My brain had already been convinced, but that day, they won my heart. I've bled orange ever since.

Orange to me is that bond we all share as Cowboys. Since we don't have that many bandwagon fans, you KNOW when you see someone in orange that they are a true fan. We've shared so many of the same joys and heartaches that we recognize them as "family" even though we've probably never met. Orange also reminds me of my experiences at OSU and at sporting events I've attended after graduation. It's a reminder to me that OSU is my alma mater, and I know I will always be "faithful and true."

Oct 12, 2004
Summerville
pokesports said:
Now that i'm far removed in distance again, I realize how dependant on Orange that I am/was. I realize how much it all means to me and how much of a part of me it is. No matter how long i'm away, no matter how much ridiculing i take, I was, am, and will always be Orange!
There is no was in the '...dependant on Orange that I am/was', you ARE!! And you left out a thing or two. Like:
-Its bringing your OSU stuff for you car and office to work on game day.
-And its dancing and pacing and getting all excited over just the announcer!!
-OR its talking up OSU so much that over 1,000 miles away from your home your workstudy is totally intrigued and fascinated by how much school spirit you people have that....well, here she is :) *Thought SuperFan was better than the choices you thought of....although you thought of this too*

pokestate2007

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 20, 2004
Between Here and There
Orange is joining arms with your brothers and sisters at OSU and singing the alma mater before and after a game.

Orange is almost drowning in Theta Pond (along with about 20 other people) after Lucas hit an unbelievable 3 pointer.

Its getting a smile on your face when you walk by the library on homecoming week and seeing the fountain dyed orange.

Orange is being in Hawaii wearing an O-State shirt and someone throws up the guns and yells "GO POKES" at you when 3,000 other people have a strange look on their faces.

Jul 21, 2004
Stillwater, OK
Is it sick my closet looks like this?

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only person addicted to orange. Having lived in Texas for nine years I brought the Orange Power to my office and also got two other grads employed there as well. We brainwashed our office into anytime Oklahoma State was mentioned the reply was "Go Pokes."

Now that I'm back in Stillwater I couldn't be happier. I loved Texas, but it's good to be where the right shade of orange is! Speaking of orange, I gathered all of my husband and I's orange one night and the photo below is what evolved. (Keep in mind, this is just the orange - not the grays or whites.) Some people might say it's sick but I think it's awesome.

GO POKES!

Attachments

Aug 8, 2004
Stillwater
How great is it to be a COWBOY!!!!

God, wife, children and OSU are the most important things in my life. The above posts have made me lust for more of the Orange. My wife who grew up a gooner has turned from the dark side. Five of our six children have attended OSU and we never miss a home football game. All of our family will be in Stillwater this weekend. Grandchild, girlfriends, son-in-laws, daughter-in-laws, kids, sisters, brother-in-laws, and most of all our ORANGE friends will be remembering the past and celebrating the present. It is an exciting time to be a Cowboy. This is my 35th year to be a season football ticket holder in one form or another. Here's to 35 more glorious Cowboy years.

PS: My wife no longer buys red.

Oct 24, 2003
Great posts by all, and I concur with everyone of them! As most know, I am in the military, and it amazes me how many times I have been in foreign countries and run across other OSU fans. I don't usually know them, but we always stop and talk about OSU, home, and families. I love being a Cowboy, and will always proudly wear my ORANGE!

LoveMyPokes: I am envious of your closet. Getting OSU apparel is nearly impossible when you are not in Oklahoma.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
I am most humbled by the great responses to my post. Thank you all. I've been fighting a lump in my throat while reading the responses to my beautiful wife Sarah. She's slowly (but surely) becoming quite the OSU fan. She denies it, but she yells and cheers pretty loud for somebody that is "just along for support."

This upcoming weekend is a big deal. It is the first time that I've EVER been able to get her to wear orange (she's a red head so she thinks it clashes with her hair). So all of you that I'll see at the tailgating party please give words of encouragement. She's right on the cusp. :)

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Oct 24, 2003
Here is a picture of a future OSU Cheerleader from our household:

Lauryn Mackenzie Johnson
Born October 8, 2004
7 lbs, 8.4 oz.

PS: She doesn't have orange on now, but she will soon enough!

Attachments

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Hey Okstate1, she's beautiful. And my wife loves the name...

Add that to the list. Orange is the fact that babies like Lauryn Mackenzie Johnson are brought home as cowgirls every day.

FWPoke

An OP OG in the DFDub
A/V Subscriber
Jun 8, 2004
Fort Worth
Congrats, okstate1, she's a cutie. I wonder what it would take to get Pampers to sign a licensing agreement with OSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.