What matters more to you substance or style

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Which is basically the Democrat argument from the 90's. "We elected a president, not a pope," said every Democrat ever circa 1992-2000. Around the same time, every Republican on the planet said, "Character matters."

We've lost the culture war. Lefties, if you don't like it that Republicans now say, "We elected a president, not a pope," you have no one to blame but yourselves because this is exactly what you wanted Republicans to accept. You are idiots if you thought it would somehow work to your advantage and you didn't imagine it being applied to someone you don't like.

I still think character matters. In fact, I've been studying Aristotelian and Platonic ethics and have come to believe even more that character matters.
Character didn't help Romney much. With fear of opening another can of worms it's always bothered me that the evangelical crowd supported Trump far more than Romney. Romney wore that funny underwear and thought Jesus stayed at a Motel 6 in Provo (or something). But nobody in their right mind would say Trump ACTED more Christian than Romney.

BTW, I'm not Romney's biggest fan, but I thought he was one of the last adults, and relatively honest, nominees we've had from either party.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Character didn't help Romney much. With fear of opening another can of worms it's always bothered me that the evangelical crowd supported Trump far more than Romney. Romney wore that funny underwear and thought Jesus stayed at a Motel 6 in Provo (or something). But nobody in their right mind would say Trump ACTED more Christian than Romney.

BTW, I'm not Romney's biggest fan, but I thought he was one of the last adults, and relatively honest, nominees we've had from either party.
If Romney had gone after Obama in debates 2 and 3 the way he did in debate 1 he would have won. But he decided to be nice.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
drugs in society are a health problem, not a crime problem.
Drugs in society is a societal problem (not crime or health, per se).

Portugal’s radical drugs policy is working. Why hasn’t the world copied it?

Portugal’s policy rests on three pillars: one, that there’s no such thing as a soft or hard drug, only healthy and unhealthy relationships with drugs; two, that an individual’s unhealthy relationship with drugs often conceals frayed relationships with loved ones, with the world around them, and with themselves; and three, that the eradication of all drugs is an impossible goal.

“The national policy is to treat each individual differently". “The secret is for us to be present.”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...licy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it