what kind of snake?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Similar to my cottonmouth experience. Was wade-fishing and got bit right below my knee, on the outside of my calf. Very light venomization resulted in swollen and aching lymph nodes in the groin area and two small necrotic lesions that are still visible "pits". I have forgotten my waders that day, so I was wading in my underwear. :eek:
Damn good thing you weren't in about a foot deeper. :eek:

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Similar to my cottonmouth experience. Was wade-fishing and got bit right below my knee, on the outside of my calf. Very light venomization resulted in swollen and aching lymph nodes in the groin area and two small necrotic lesions that are still visible "pits". I have forgotten my waders that day, so I was wading in my underwear. :eek:
Coral snake is not a pit viper, your page says all venomous snakes in the state are pit vipers.

BTW, I'll disagree with you about pygmy rattle snakes. I generally let snakes go about their business and leave them alone. But those little dudes just like to get into places where they constantly pose a danger to myself and my kids. Not to mention when they see you they will freaking crawl over to you just because they are curious.

Never dealt with snakes like them before in my life and I have a ton of them on my property. Not particularity aggressive but always putting themselves in places where accidents can happen. I've killed 6 of them in my barn. Nothing like walking out to the freezer barefoot and looking down and seeing a damn rattlesnake between your feet or working on fence and having them crawl over to get in the shade under your butt.

I like snakes that go the other way when they see you.

Here is a nice example of one being where it shouldn't be. It's a little messy but scrap metal behind my lathe in the barn. Noticed him when my hand was about touching that piece of square tube. View attachment 49340
The most common poisonous snake I see in northeastern oklahoma is the copperhead, never actually been bit. But i have accidently gotten way to close to one a few times.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
The most common poisonous snake I see in northeastern oklahoma is the copperhead, never actually been bit. But i have accidently gotten way to close to one a few times.
I've lived in NE Oklahoma for 40 years and I can count the number of copperheads I have seen on one hand. I'm sure a good part of that is simply because they blend in so well.

The most common poisonous snake I see is a water moccasin. Followed really closely by pygmy rattlesnakes. I've had far more water moccasins make me soil myself than pygmies. Like the day I killed 6 or 7 of them trying to pull a tree out of my pond. I was pooping my pants while I was hooking that chain around the tree. 6th or 7th time I had went down to hook it on. I had just knocked it down off the damn the day before. You have never seen nasty until you see a water moccasin with half a head rear up and show you his fang while hissing at you. Wish I had brought a shotgun with me that day instead of an AK.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
I've lived in NE Oklahoma for 40 years and I can count the number of copperheads I have seen on one hand. I'm sure a good part of that is simply because they blend in so well.

The most common poisonous snake I see is a water moccasin. Followed really closely by pygmy rattlesnakes. I've had far more water moccasins make me soil myself than pygmies. Like the day I killed 6 or 7 of them trying to pull a tree out of my pond. I was pooping my pants while I was hooking that chain around the tree. 6th or 7th time I had went down to hook it on. I had just knocked it down off the damn the day before. You have never seen nasty until you see a water moccasin with half a head rear up and show you his fang while hissing at you. Wish I had brought a shotgun with me that day instead of an AK.
http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/teen-bit-by-water-moccasin-he-kept-on-bed/

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009

I have never seen a cotton mouth in the Illinois river, the grand river, or in any of the lakes around stillwater.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Mar 23, 2013
It does look like a copperhead and I have never seen those two interact like that before. Of course, I'm not a herpetologist so what do I know.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

I've seen way more copperheads than any other kind of poisonous snakes. I used to have a border collie- Australian shepherd cross that would let me know if he found one in the yard. The most was 9 in one year. I've never seen a rattler in the wild and only a few cottonmouths.

OP150

John 15:13
Aug 30, 2008
D2L
I've seen way more copperheads than any other kind of poisonous snakes. I used to have a border collie- Australian shepherd cross that would let me know if he found one in the yard. The most was 9 in one year. I've never seen a rattler in the wild and only a few cottonmouths.
This year was the worst I'd seen for Copperheads at the in-laws farm in SW Missouri. Killed several around the house and barn and had one family member sent to the hospital after getting bit by one wrapped around a ladder rung. Evil lil bastards were exterminated with prejudice.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
This year was the worst I'd seen for Copperheads at the in-laws farm in SW Missouri. Killed several around the house and barn and had one family member sent to the hospital after getting bit by one wrapped around a ladder rung. Evil lil bastards were exterminated with prejudice.
I always exterminated them with extreme prejudice.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
You are correct, Coral snakes are not pit vipers.

I have had many (Many!) close encounters with rattlesnakes of all kinds. Fortunately, only one has ever struck at me (actually bit my boot). I have, however, been bitten by a small cottonmouth. Have to admit though, I was in his space.
Did you go to the hospital? Curious as to the treatment you used.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Did you go to the hospital? Curious as to the treatment you used.
No, I did not (young and dumb!). Was a college student and my friend, actually one of my professors, knew the Pharmacist in town, and he gave me some pills. Minor swelling and aching in my lymph nodes, but otherwise no lasting ill effects except for two small pitted areas from the following necrosis where the fangs tagged me.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
When we used to harvest wheat by the Wichita Mountains our rule was to never get in the bin of the combine or in the truck bed once there was wheat in it. My grandfather and father had harvested several rattlesnakes and put them through the machine and were always worried about what would happen if you happen to accidentally hit the head and trigger the bite reflex. There was some western magazine that they had read that said a rattler could still bite you an hour after death. I asked my herpetology professor about that in college and he could neither confirm or deny that it could happen.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
When we used to harvest wheat by the Wichita Mountains our rule was to never get in the bin of the combine or in the truck bed once there was wheat in it. My grandfather and father had harvested several rattlesnakes and put them through the machine and were always worried about what would happen if you happen to accidentally hit the head and trigger the bite reflex. There was some western magazine that they had read that said a rattler could still bite you an hour after death. I asked my herpetology professor about that in college and he could neither confirm or deny that it could happen.
Confirmed. Seen it.