What if we don't make the CCG?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Not “akrut” and just another perpetuation of a false narrative.

It was suggested to Gundy he hire an OC to get him away from calling plays and to allow him to focus on the entire team. He CHOSE Holgorson because of his offensive success, and because his offense more closely fit our personnel (Weeden) than the then current zone-read offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check your sources you are incorrect.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Not “akrut” and just another perpetuation of a false narrative.

It was suggested to Gundy he hire an OC to get him away from calling plays and to allow him to focus on the entire team. He CHOSE Holgorson because of his offensive success, and because his offense more closely fit our personnel (Weeden) than the then current zone-read offense.

Check your sources you are incorrect.
Direct quote from Mike Holder. “Mike Gundy makes all coaching hire decisions, period.”
Holder’s not stupid, and fans shouldn’t be either. He’d never place a coach against the HC’s wishes.

Direct quote from Dana Holgorson. “I was hired for one reason - Brandon Weeden. To teach him how to complete passes in a drop back offense.”

But keep pushing the urban myth. Most of you bashers do.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
520, 545, 550, 450, 380 Holgy, Monken 2 years, Yurcich 2 years. He improved with Rudolph and Washington without a doubt. But lets not make it out like he set the world on fire and was an all time hire. It was definitely a downgrade at the time and was noticeably different.
And the healthy and able to play offensive talent on the team was the worst of Gundy’s career.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
520, 545, 550, 450, 380 Holgy, Monken 2 years, Yurcich 2 years. He improved with Rudolph and Washington without a doubt. But lets not make it out like he set the world on fire and was an all time hire. It was definitely a downgrade at the time and was noticeably different.
And the healthy and able to play offensive talent on the team was the worst of Gundy’s career.

Which is my exact point about the change after 2011 we went the opposite direction from the previous 5 years and we didn't build on our success. We easily could have hired another big name OC and kept things rolling but we didn't, we hired a guy that no one wanted for 5 years. We are stagnant and top 4 in the conference is ok. When Taylor Cornelius said the teams goal was to make a bowl game that's when I stopped carrying the water for Gundy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Which is my exact point about the change after 2011 we went the opposite direction from the previous 5 years and we didn't build on our success. We easily could have hired another big name OC and kept things rolling but we didn't, we hired a guy that no one wanted for 5 years. We are stagnant and top 4 in the conference is ok. When Taylor Cornelius said the teams goal was to make a bowl game that's when I stopped carrying the water for Gundy.

focus.

We won 10 games in 2013 with below average B12 talent. An amazing accomplishment for a team with no defense.

In 2014, our offensive talent was the worse in Gundy's career.

Yurcich did a great job considering the results and what he had to work with.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Direct quote from Mike Holder. “Mike Gundy makes all coaching hire decisions, period.”
Holder’s not stupid, and fans shouldn’t be either. He’d never place a coach against the HC’s wishes.

Direct quote from Dana Holgorson. “I was hired for one reason - Brandon Weeden. To teach him how to complete passes in a drop back offense.”

You really believe what's said in a press conference? I bet you think Sanders strikes fear in the heart of the goon coaching squad as well. I didn't hear the "myth" from Urban, it was a much more rural source

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

You really believe what's said in a press conference? I bet you think Sanders strikes fear in the heart of the goon coaching squad as well. I didn't hear the "myth" from Urban, it was a much more rural source
Neither of those quotes are from a press conference. But go ahead, base your narrative on Holder, Gundy and Holgorson all lying in addition to not making sense.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I worry we have hit Gundy’s plateau. He has been good at getting the school attention (of course that sword cuts both ways) but he goes from “colorful” to “weird” real quick if we never break the barrier. He clearly has an ou problem and I can’t help but think it will raise its head again Saturday, win or lose. I also believe that he is not the offensive genius he seems to think himself to be..he needs a headstrong oc that will buck up against him if we are to ever reach the top.
The only person that can say "No" to Gundy and force actions on him was Boone Picken.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Neither of those quotes are from a press conference. But go ahead, base your narrative on Holder, Gundy and Holgorson all lying in addition to not making sense.

What would we do without your shining beacon of gundiness
Remain blind, misguided and uninformed. ;-)

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I’m liking the fact that we are on the bash Gundy war path PRIOR to the bedlam game this year. Does it give us a chance???
We aren't playing. We are fans that normally are assessing our chances in an upcoming game. Normally we are pretty positive EXCEPT when it comes to Gundy coaching a Bedlam game.

There's a terrible history here. We all have seen Gundy go into a fetal position when it comes to coaching in Bedlam.
There were times when we had OCs with cajones that countered Gundy's game strategy and went for it. There have been a few times when Gundy was obviously going for a win and we could see that from our fan viewpoints.
He still lost the game, but he gained respect for going for it.

I think what we're seeing from Gundy is the realization that with all of the hype and top players at skill positons going into the year have not come to fruition. Sanders is a turnover machine costing us wins. Hubbard is pedestrian at best and no where near any consideration of Heisman mention.
Wallace is a warrior, but he can only do so much.
The Defense has been fun to watch. They are our only hope come Saturday.

Once agian, our season depends on beating ou. How do you like those odds?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We aren't playing. We are fans that normally are assessing our chances in an upcoming game. Normally we are pretty positive EXCEPT when it comes to Gundy coaching a Bedlam game.

There's a terrible history here. We all have seen Gundy go into a fetal position when it comes to coaching in Bedlam.
There were times when we had OCs with cajones that countered Gundy's game strategy and went for it. There have been a few times when Gundy was obviously going for a win and we could see that from our fan viewpoints.

I think what we're seeing from Gundy is the realization that with all of the hype and top players at skill positons going into the year have not come to fruition. Sanders is a turnover machine costing us wins. Hubbard is pedestrian at best and no where near any consideration of Heisman mention.

Once again, our season depends on beating ou. How do you like those odds?
Well, if 2020 has told us anything...it's that football isn't all that important, its just a game...My hope is that we can all enjoy the competition no matter the outcome. That being said, why did we have to lose to stupid Texas...we were far better than them. You and I both know the answer and, in that game, it wasn't HCMG but turnovers and the guy who was responsible for many of them. In Bedlam this year, we will just have to wait and see if a more go for the win style of play will happen. We haven't seen it yet this year, so that is worrysome...but we also have been playing the wrong QB IMHO. How long will we stick with him is my question. I would have changed back in the Texas game...but it's not up to me.

Btw, as fans who live and "die" with this team, I think "we" have earned the right to say "we." They have been a "we" for me for about 50 of my 55 years.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I’m liking the fact that we are on the bash Gundy war path PRIOR to the bedlam game this year. Does it give us a chance???

Once agian, our season depends on beating ou. How do you like those odds?
OUR season doesn’t depend on beating OU. Never has, never will.

YOUR season and perhaps sense of worth depends on beating OU.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I guess it depends on how high your expectations were for this team. For me I had about the same as for 2017, after both Texas and OU lost 2 games each my expectations went way up. Then the Texas game was a total gut/nut punch because we were so much better than them but not just that, we opened ourselves up for Bedlam being our most important game of the season. If we win we punch our ticket to the CCG and still have an outside chance of making the playoffs albeit way outside there's still a chance. Lose and we don't control our destiny anymore. I agree with @Rack that Illingworth gives us the best opportunity to win but that's another topic. So depending on your expectations Bedlam does make or break our season.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I guess it depends on how high your expectations were for this team. For me I had about the same as for 2017, after both Texas and OU lost 2 games each my expectations went way up. Then the Texas game was a total gut/nut punch because we were so much better than them but not just that, we opened ourselves up for Bedlam being our most important game of the season. If we win we punch our ticket to the CCG and still have an outside chance of making the playoffs albeit way outside there's still a chance. Lose and we don't control our destiny anymore. I agree with @Rack that Illingworth gives us the best opportunity to win but that's another topic. So depending on your expectations Bedlam does make or break our season.

My expectations are based on when the coach decides that it's time to make the change you mentioned. I think we will flounder with our offensive identity in inconsistency and turnovers until that happens. Once the change happens, and IMHO it's inevitable, then my expectations for OSU football greatly increase moving forward. Right now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Yeah, I hope I'm wrong and that SS becomes Pat Mahomes, but I just don't see it yet. He's a great kid and I hope that happens. Meanwhile we may have Tom Brady circa 1995-97 sitting on our bench as he did at Michigan. The highlight of the year is still SI finally being placed in the game vs Tulsa and what that did to our offensive production.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Just to clarify. If we lose to OU but go on to win the conference title, your/our season is broken? And if we beat OU but don’t win the conference, or even make the CCG, your/our season is made?

Seems your expectations may be subject to much incongruity. Or maybe the outcome of the OU game is all that matters?

Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk hi

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Actually my point was that losing to Texas made the outcome of the Bedlam game matter. My season isn't made or broken by Bedlam, nor are my expectations. I realize there is a chance that we could lose the game this weekend and still play in the CCG, but again as I said and have been pretty consistent about, we don't control our being in the game at that point. Not really weird actually just facts.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
It was pretty obvious early in the season that we’d need to beat either uT or 0u in the regular season then we’d face the the one we didn’t beat in the CCG. The one we beat would be knocked out.

well, lost to Horns so the bed is made... time to go to work

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
So you’re saying we should do a home and home with someone like Georgia or maybe play the defending national champion Florida State in a season opener? How about maybe a season opener with Mississippi State with Dak Prescott at quarterback?

Pick another topic, strength of schedule is NOT a reason why we don’t regularly beat OU. Perhaps OU being one of the top 3 programs in the history of college football and having the hottest offensive coach in the country might be more of a reason?
Plus Clemson backed out of a Home and Home with OSU for 2019 and 2020