What if we don't make the CCG?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
You know, I think we as OSU fans we have to be realistic in our hopes and expectations...

I don't expect a Big-12 Championship every year, but I do hope for that "perfect storm" year occasionally. 2011 was probably the last year when the stars aligned. I had expected this year to be our next best shot at a Big-12 Title or perhaps beyond.

I now realize that unless we beat OU in Norman on Saturday, we will likely not even make the CCG. That in a year when we had our best defense in maybe the last 25 years and 2 of the most prolific offensive players in the country in Hubbard and Wallace.

So I ask. If we lose Bedlam and finish 3rd in what appears to be a weak Big-12 this year, does that have any impact on your opinion of Gundy? Specifically, his retention as our Head Coach? Have we seen the best we will see from a Gundy led Cowboy team?

Sep 12, 2008
We were picked 2nd or 3rd in the preseason B12 rankings.. so to still have a chance to win the Big 12 is ahead of expectations. Who would have thought OU would have 2 losses already.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Gundy's press conference didnt exactly give me confidence

We may get smoked boys
What did he say? I’m witholding judgement until we see what happens saturday. While winning the big 12 coming in was the goal. Under no circumstances should we not make the game we had a 2 game lead on texas if they make it.

Mar 8, 2010
Another year with high expectations and another year marked by disappointment. Just another typical Gundy year. I don't care what the preseason polls said, because the prognosticators will always overrate UT regardless. Not making the championship year will be another underperforming year for Gundy. It's so frustrating that we have the worst record against our in-state rival of anybody in the country and its not even close. There's no reason why we can't be a Auburn or a Michigan State. They have to live with a blueblood in-state rival as well but fare far better than we do.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Its a combination of many things on wht we can’t get over the hump. There is not a push to make the football program elite. Look at the difference between these two schedules. By the time UO gets to play us they have already usually played a top team in a big environment. We try to schedule cupcakes so we get 3 easy wins and gundy wins another 5 games so we can say we won 8 games a year. Then we play in bedlam and we fold under pressure. We would attract better recuits with better scheduling.

5FD2E0E4-5DA3-445C-973D-C498A80CB2C2.jpeg

DAC5DC9B-9F07-47B6-A6D7-EAE1FEF1181F.jpeg

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Its a combination of many things on wht we can’t get over the hump. There is not a push to make the football program elite. Look at the difference between these two schedules. By the time UO gets to play us they have already usually played a top team in a big environment. We try to schedule cupcakes so we get 3 easy wins and gundy wins another 5 games so we can say we won 8 games a year. Then we play in bedlam and we fold under pressure. We would attract better recuits with better scheduling.

View attachment 87141

View attachment 87142
I’m not sure there is one single “akrut” statement in this post except the point about a combination of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK

View attachment 87141

View attachment 87142
Ya, I'm not so sure OU has the stronger OOC schedule at this point. Nebraska, Michigan, UTEP, and Tennessee are no where close to their historical strength. Things could change between now and the time the games are played, but right now???

Oct 30, 2007
You know, I think we as OSU fans we have to be realistic in our hopes and expectations...

I don't expect a Big-12 Championship every year, but I do hope for that "perfect storm" year occasionally. 2011 was probably the last year when the stars aligned. I had expected this year to be our next best shot at a Big-12 Title or perhaps beyond.

I now realize that unless we beat OU in Norman on Saturday, we will likely not even make the CCG. That in a year when we had our best defense in maybe the last 25 years and 2 of the most prolific offensive players in the country in Hubbard and Wallace.

So I ask. If we lose Bedlam and finish 3rd in what appears to be a weak Big-12 this year, does that have any impact on your opinion of Gundy? Specifically, his retention as our Head Coach? Have we seen the best we will see from a Gundy led Cowboy team?
I think that you have to adjust your expectations every year. I had significant expectations going into this year because of our roster. With Wallace, Hubbard & 9 senior starters, we're clearly one of the two best teams in the conference. It will be a disappointment if we don't make make the CCG. Next year my expectations will be lower.

Schools are facing significant budget shortfalls this year and quite possibly next year as well. I doubt that any coach with a significant buyout needs to worry about being retained. (Except for maybe Herman. They burn money for fun in Austin.)

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
FWIW, I adjust my expectations based on injuries. We’ll never (reasonably) be able to absorb injuries to key players like an OU or UT.
Finishing with 1 loss in the regular season is a great result given the injuries we’ve incurred to date.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I’m not sure there is one single “akrut” statement in this post except the point about a combination of things.

So you believe OSU has scheduled as aggressive out of conference as UO? In 2017 they played Ohio State. Before you even bring it up no I don’t think playing boise state and pitt moves the needle.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

So you believe OSU has scheduled as aggressive out of conference as UO? In 2017 they played Ohio State. Before you even bring it up no I don’t think playing boise state and pitt moves the needle.
More often than not, OU has one better OOC opponent. But OU can get a home/away 2 game series with almost anyone they choose. We can’t and almost never would opt to play a power opponent when we get one home game in exchange for 2 road games, or worse, just one road game. That severely limits the pool of great opponents to schedule. Add to that our overall success, many good programs see no upside in scheduling us.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I worry we have hit Gundy’s plateau. He has been good at getting the school attention (of course that sword cuts both ways) but he goes from “colorful” to “weird” real quick if we never break the barrier. He clearly has an ou problem and I can’t help but think it will raise its head again Saturday, win or lose. I also believe that he is not the offensive genius he seems to think himself to be..he needs a headstrong oc that will buck up against him if we are to ever reach the top.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I pile on when its time and defend when its time and I haven't been really confident in terms of Football success since we hired Mike Yurcich as the offensive coordinator. The reason I have felt this way is because at the time we had been quite successful and had the majority of our offensive coaches being hired away after a short time here. Gundy got tired of continually having to hire a new OC every couple of years and he hired Yurcich, that's the time where we got into this era of ultra conservative play calling. I am not going to lie I was not a fan of Yurcich at all but I don't think it was his fault that we went that direction. I place the blame squarely on Gundy because he hired an OC that wasn't ready for power 5 football, and rather than admit he was wrong he changed the offensive philosophy. After 2012 there was an opportunity to really grow the football program in recruiting and we didn't, however we have found and developed some really good players but our recruiting rankings have went down not up. Fast forward to 2020 and we actually have a defense that can hold opponents to 4 touchdowns or less, but we have an offensive philosophy that says winning by 3 is just as good as winning by 17 and we play to win by 3. I'm not sure what needs to change to get back to scoring as many points as possible but if its the head coach then that's what needs to change. It's like owning a Ferrari and driving it to get good gas mileage.