What if OU/WV doesn't get played and both OU/OSU win out

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
SCENARIO:
What happens if
- ISU losses to WVU
- OU wins out. (resulting in a 3-way tie for ISU/OU/OSU)
- KSU beats Texas
* KSU/TX/WVU end tied for 4th with four losses

You would look at the head-to-head of the 3 tied teams against the 3 4th place teams.
* ISU would be 3-0 against those teams.
* OU would be 2-1 against those teams.
* OSU would be 2-1 against those teams.
- ISU would go to the CCG.

Then it reverts to head-to-head between OU/OSU.
- OU goes to the CCG.

So in any scenario I can run, we end up missing out (due to our loss to Texas while ISU/OU have wins) unless OU loses @ WVU.

Not impossible. But OU will clearly be the favored team (Massey has OU as a 7 point favorite).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
For WVU to be in the tiebreaker with Texas, you are assuming they and Texas win out. If WVU wins out, they beat OU. If they beat OU, then there is only ISU/OSU left with 2 losses so the tie break would not apply. The only thing we need WVU to do is beat OU. Then it is ISU vs OSU. No need for tiebreak discussions at that point.
No.
I'm assuming WVU beats ISU but drops to OU to finish 5-4
K-State beats Texas to finish 5-4
Texas beats KU and loses to K-State to finish 5-4
I've also pointed out in another thread that K-State losing last night screwed this up as WVU most likely gets #4 (records compared against TCU).

I do agree that the simplest path is for OU to drop to WVU.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
SCENARIO:
What happens if
- ISU losses to WVU
- OU wins out. (resulting in a 3-way tie for ISU/OU/OSU)
- KSU beats Texas
* KSU/TX/WVU end tied for 4th with four losses

You would look at the head-to-head of the 3 tied teams against the 3 4th place teams.
* ISU would be 3-0 against those teams.
* OSU would be 2-1 against those teams.
* OU would be 1-2 against those teams.
- CCG would be ISU vs OSU.

So that is a possible (though remote) way we could back into the CCG against ISU. So I guess as long as WVU can win ONE of their last two games (coupled with a win by KSU over Texas) OSU has a path to the CCG.

So, all is not lost. However, the odds are not great. No longer control our destiny. We need WVU and possibly KSU to win for us to have a chance.
Would they compare records against the 3 tied teams? I would think they settle 4th place standing and then they could settle the top 3 teams.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Would they compare records against the 3 tied teams? I would think they settle 4th place standing and then they could settle the top 3 teams.
If they tried to settle 4th place first:
Looking at the records against the 3 way tie at the top.
UT (1-2)
WVU (1-2)
KSU (1-2)
Then it would drop to TCU. Where Texas is eliminated and WVU in 4th. In that original scenario ISU is eliminated and we have Bedlam 2.0.

However, I don’t see them settling 4th place first. In terms of fairness in competition, the tie breaker would have to be the record of the 1st place teams vs the group of 4th place teams... *IF there is a winner at that point- which there would be.
It would be a hard argument to to make to ISU that OSU deserves the CCG when ISU had a better record over the group of 4th place because 7th place beat 6th place.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I found this in an article this morning:

The weird tiebreaker happens if Iowa State loses to West Virginia and Kansas State were to beat Texas. The tiebreaker would fall all the way down to point differential in the games played between Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Iowa State since West Virginia would make a three-way tie for fourth-place. From there, Oklahoma and Iowa State would still be the Big 12 Championship teams.

So like I said early, short of OU losing a game we can't make the CCG.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I found this in an article this morning:

The weird tiebreaker happens if Iowa State loses to West Virginia and Kansas State were to beat Texas. The tiebreaker would fall all the way down to point differential in the games played between Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Iowa State since West Virginia would make a three-way tie for fourth-place. From there, Oklahoma and Iowa State would still be the Big 12 Championship teams.

So like I said early, short of OU losing a game we can't make the CCG.
Another reason we should keep the pedal down instead of going ultra-conservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
We don’t deserve to be in the conference championship game based on what we’ve done this year. It’s a shame that our offensive line was decimated this year because with even an average to good offensive line, the sky was the limit. It all gets back to having recruiting classes ranked in the 40s. We will likely go to the cheese-it bowl or something comparable and it will be another typical Gundy led year, in a year that we were supposed to have our best team since 2011. We lose a ton of playmakers next year so this is apparently as good as it gets......

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin
We don’t deserve to be in the conference championship game based on what we’ve done this year. It’s a shame that our offensive line was decimated this year because with even an average to good offensive line, the sky was the limit. It all gets back to having recruiting classes ranked in the 40s. We will likely go to the cheese-it bowl or something comparable and it will be another typical Gundy led year, in a year that we were supposed to have our best team since 2011. We lose a ton of playmakers next year so this is apparently as good as it gets......
FFS. Who in this conference “deserves” to go? Certainly not ou with their terrible losses.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
FFS. Who in this conference “deserves” to go? Certainly not ou with their terrible losses.
The two best teams “deserve” to go. Right now that is clearly Iowa State and OU. Neither of those two is going to lose another game before the CCG so this is all a moot point. Well coached teams get better as the season goes on, poorly coached teams eventually get exposed. I’ll let you draw your own personal conclusion on which teams fit which category.....

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The two best teams “deserve” to go. Right now that is clearly Iowa State and OU. Neither of those two is going to lose another game before the CCG so this is all a moot point. Well coached teams get better as the season goes on, poorly coached teams eventually get exposed. I’ll let you draw your own personal conclusion on which teams fit which category.....
Or teams that lose their offensive line...as well...but carry on with your gundy bashing. by all means.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Or teams that lose their offensive line...as well...but carry on with your gundy bashing. by all means.
improvement is needed just because everybody doesn’t sunshine pump the program doesn’t mean they are gundy bashing. Some ppl appear to love gundy more than the program. I have seen ppl say once gundy leaves we don’t have a chance af continued success. Why not? If the next coach doesn’t get it done, you fire him and get another one. No one player or coach is bigger than the program.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
improvement is needed just because everybody doesn’t sunshine pump the program doesn’t mean they are gundy bashing. Some ppl appear to love gundy more than the program. I have seen ppl say once gundy leaves we don’t have a chance af continued success. Why not? If the next coach doesn’t get it done, you fire him and get another one. No one player or coach is bigger than the program.
Everyone wants improvement, even in Tuscaloosa. But do you want the coaching merry-go-round like at Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida State, Tennessee, Arkansas, aTm, and any number of other schools with more resources than OSU?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
On one hand you blame injuries just to move on and blame Gundy. Confused?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Everyone wants improvement, even in Tuscaloosa. But do you want the coaching merry-go-round like at Texas, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida State, Tennessee, Arkansas, aTm, and any number of other schools with more resources than OSU?

I want improvement in the program and no I don't want a coaching merry-go-round either. But it really feels like we are stuck on the merry-go-round now without changing the staff. We are just enoughers now, we do just enough to make it to a bowl game and that's all we are trying to accomplish. It has reflected on our recruiting, our offensive identity, and our record vs teams with a pulse. I'm not sure what the answer is for this situation but doing the same thing every year is not changing anything.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If it was as simple as "hire the right coach" or "recruit better" then why has only Clemson (maybe Oregon to some lesser extent) made strides to go from "just enough" to elite ?

For every Clemson there are 7-10 teams digressing (Miami, Michigan, FSU, UCLA, USC, Nebraska, Texas, Tennessee, etc.). Most of those aren't even doing "just enough".

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
That's all true as well, I don't disagree. Look at Nebraska and how powerful they were to where they are now.

I'm not sure what the answer is or even if he should even be considered for replacement until he is ready. I would like to see the fire back in the HC like was there in his first decade.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2004
Watauga, TX
I have watch OSU football since a kid in the '70. To me this is the golden age of OSU football. This has been the long level of continue success that I remember without a scandal and probation. I believe this in large part to Gundy. I wish we recruited better and won more championships but it sure beat being on probation, having losing seasons, and not going to bowl. Just my two cents take it or leave it.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I want improvement in the program and no I don't want a coaching merry-go-round either. But it really feels like we are stuck on the merry-go-round now without changing the staff. We are just enoughers now, we do just enough to make it to a bowl game and that's all we are trying to accomplish. It has reflected on our recruiting, our offensive identity, and our record vs teams with a pulse. I'm not sure what the answer is for this situation but doing the same thing every year is not changing anything.
Yeah, changing coaches and going backwards would in fact be a change.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
That's all true as well, I don't disagree. Look at Nebraska and how powerful they were to where they are now.

I'm not sure what the answer is or even if he should even be considered for replacement until he is ready. I would like to see the fire back in the HC like was there in his first decade.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Here's the answer.

Understand what your resources are, where you're located, who you're competing against and the real downside of a misstep in trying to change.

If you listen to the national conversation by/from people who follow the sport closely throughout the country that sees what works, where and what it takes and how easily it can go bad, we'd be the laughing stock of college football if we replaced Gundy.