What do you think it will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• We are in right Now

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 1 more win

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 2 more wins (2 in the B12 Tourney or 1 and beat KU)

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • 3 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney or 2 and beat KU)

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • 4 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney and beat KU)

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Have to win the B12 Tourney. No way in except with the auto-bid

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I've thought about this and have decided that OSU will need to win the Big 12 Tournament and Trae Yound will need to withdraw from college. Otherwise OU gets in and OSU goes to the NIT.

Honestly though. It was odd that in the last week of the regular season most everyone had projected OU as in the tournament and OSU wasn't even mentioned. Yet, during the last 15 games of the season for each....

OU

Record 5 - 10
Notable wins: #16 TCU and #5 KU

OSU

Record 7-8
Notable wins: #4 OU, #7 Kansas, #19 W. Virginia, #6 Texas Tech, & #6 Kansas

You get the feeling the only reason OU was getting any love was they wanted to find anyway possible to get Trae Young in the tournament. Couldn't have a finalist for POY sitting at home during the tournament.

Interesting side note: North Carolina's run to the 1983 Championship.

In the NCAA Tournament NC State beat...

Pepperdine - Unranked
UNLV - #6
Utah - Unranked
Virgina - #4
Georgia - #18
Houston - #1

That's comparable to Oklahoma States run against ranked teams the last 15 games of the regular season against ranked teams.

We can win the Big 12 Tournament!

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Five times since 1997 teams have won three games to advance to the championship game of the Big 12 Tournament. Non of those were able to win the championship game, in each case they faced a team that had to win two games to get there.

1997: Missouri (10 seed)
1999: Oklahoma State (5 seed)
2003: Missouri (5 seed)
2009: Baylor (9 seed)
2014: Baylor (7 seed)

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Just keep winning, Joe Lunardi obviously doesn't have us in so we need to beat the sooners, and beat Kansas then I think we might get some consideration. I think its totally ridiculous but I also think that's the only way.
I was looking up most accurate brackets and Lunardi kept coming up but I thought which bracket (of his 50) do they use, interestingly it looks like the bracket they use is the one he does the day before the announcement of the teams. Using that metric I am pretty sure I am 67-68, 67-68, the last 2 years. I have Oklahoma State as a 10 seed, book it, I reserve the right to change my prediction until 1 hour prior to the selection Sunday show :closed:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Honestly though. It was odd that in the last week of the regular season most everyone had projected OU as in the tournament and OSU wasn't even mentioned. Yet, during the last 15 games of the season for each....
I'm gonna stop you right there. The committee has already said that the "last 10 games" metric, i.e. how you are performing going into the tournament is no longer a metric they use and hasn't been for the last decade. So on that front it's not some crazy conspiracy to get OU (and Trae Young) in. The committee uses RPI and OU's is significantly higher than ours. The merits of using RPI are debatable and I personally think it is antiquated and stupid, but that is basically where we are at.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I'm gonna stop you right there. The committee has already said that the "last 10 games" metric, i.e. how you are performing going into the tournament is no longer a metric they use and hasn't been for the last decade. So on that front it's not some crazy conspiracy to get OU (and Trae Young) in. The committee uses RPI and OU's is significantly higher than ours. The merits of using RPI are debatable and I personally think it is antiquated and stupid, but that is basically where we are at.
Yes, I get the RPI, it's one of the metrics used. It's been here for years.

It's still odd (stupid you call it) given how both teams have played.

My comments about Trae Young were a bit facetious. However, if it comes down to OU / OSU with one being in the tournament and one being left out I'm not confident the committee will ignore a POY candidate and leave him home. We've been screwed like that before.

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
In-game discussion on ESPN between Lunardi and the game announcers, Reece Davis & Tom Crean, was interesting with Lunardi desperately holding onto UO being a lock in the bracket and OSU needing to beat UO and maybe KU. Crean called that ridiculous since nobody has ever beat KU twice in the same season and played as intensely as the Cowboys in conference play.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Is Trae Young really even a POY candidate any longer? He is just another hot shooting guard who can put up a lot of points, but is a poor ball handler. He has some pluses but has not been nearly the contributor as a freshman that Marcus Smart was. Marcus changed games single handedly, with a lot more variables than Trae has shown'.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I've thought about this and have decided that OSU will need to win the Big 12 Tournament and Trae Yound will need to withdraw from college. Otherwise OU gets in and OSU goes to the NIT.

OU

Record 5 - 10
Notable wins: #16 TCU and #5 KU

OSU

Record 7-8
Notable wins: #4 OU, #7 Kansas, #19 W. Virginia, #6 Texas Tech, & #6 Kansas

You get the feeling the only reason OU was getting any love was they wanted to find anyway possible to get Trae Young in the tournament. Couldn't have a finalist for POY sitting at home during the tournament.

Interesting side note: North Carolina's run to the 1983 Championship.

In the NCAA Tournament NC State beat...

Pepperdine - Unranked
UNLV - #6
Utah - Unranked
Virgina - #4
Georgia - #18
Houston - #1

That's comparable to Oklahoma States run against ranked teams the last 15 games of the regular season against ranked teams.

We can win the Big 12 Tournament!
I haven't looked more on this, but the Monday Oklahoman had a heading about Trae Young missing practice on Sunday? Anyone else heard about this?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
If OSU is to make the NCAA Tournament today is a must win.

Win today and it's a 50/50 deal to make the NCAA if we loose to KU.

Beat KU and we're in.

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
I haven't looked more on this, but the Monday Oklahoman had a heading about Trae Young missing practice on Sunday? Anyone else heard about this?

He had an injury to his hip from the Baylor game. From what I read, holding him out on Sunday was just precautionary. He'll be good to go tonight, and I have a feeling we'll be ready for him!

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The argument could be made that Jan 20's Bedlam game was the turning point in OU's season.

As for if OSU is in the tourney, here's what Jay Bilas had to say...

“I think they more than merit discussion, I think they’re right there to get in. Oklahoma State’s issues... They weren’t very good in January, if you count winning and losing as being good. They did some good things, but they lost a lot more than they won.
“I think they’ve lost, I don’t know 12, 13 or 14 games already (they’re 18-13). You probably figure they’re going to add one more in there. That’s a lot of losses to get in as an at-large team.
“What they have to rely upon is the strength of their schedule (ranked 12th according to ESPN’s figures) and the fact they have won games against really good teams. I’ve been saying this for a long time. I think this is an important point: I do not care if a team stubbed its toe a few times and lost to some bad teams. When they say, ‘Oh, that’s a bad loss.’ Who cares? If Oklahoma State gets in the tournament, they’re not going to play any bad teams. The question is can you beat really good teams? And they’ve proven that they can do that.
“They have lost a lot of games, and they’ve had a lot of chances. They beat Florida State in the non-conference. They’ve got some good wins. If they get in, it’s going to be the quality of their wins over the number of their losses.”

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I don't know, KU seems to have no answer for the Cowboys this year. Perhaps it's a mis-match issue Self can't solve? Whatever it is who would have thought OSU would dominate KU as they did in Stillwater after beating KU on the road?
Self was asked if OSU was a playoff team and he said: (paraphrasing). They are a better team than we are. We won the league by two games and they were better than us the two times we played them and it wasn’t even close, in my opinion. So to answer the question if OSU is a playoff team, I’d say an emphatic yes!

Like you, I don’t know what it is, but I sure as hell am enjoying it.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
The argument could be made that Jan 20's Bedlam game was the turning point in OU's season.

As for if OSU is in the tourney, here's what Jay Bilas had to say...
Which actually proves Bilas doesn't pay attention any more than anyone else, unless ou is a bad loss, then the Pokes don't have a bad loss. Ultimately I think the TY discussion on ou is more than accurate than many want to admit, take him away give them the exact same record and they are just the Cowboys in red uniforms and on the outside looking in, needing to beat the Cowboys for a seat at the table.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gotta win tonight to put a nail in our chances...This is a bigger game than was the KU game from that standpoint. Backs are against the wall, hope we play like it.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Just keep winning, Joe Lunardi obviously doesn't have us in so we need to beat the sooners, and beat Kansas then I think we might get some consideration. I think its totally ridiculous but I also think that's the only way.
Consideration lol. We should be in right now but if we can beat ou. We are in.
I say forget lunardi. There are others that are saying we are in.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
What would the committee do?

ESPN has Big 12 locks as KU, TTU, WVA, & TCU.

Should be in: OU & KSU

Now lets assume the following.....

OSU beats OU and possibly KU for the third time. But even beating OU makes this interesting.

Baylor beats WVA.

Texas beats Iowa State & Texas Tech!

Does the Big 12 get 9 teams in? Or who gets snubbed?