What do you think it will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• We are in right Now

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 1 more win

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 2 more wins (2 in the B12 Tourney or 1 and beat KU)

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • 3 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney or 2 and beat KU)

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • 4 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney and beat KU)

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Have to win the B12 Tourney. No way in except with the auto-bid

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
On a side, note, we have 9 out of 10 teams with a real chance to make the tourney. If just 8 of those get in we will set the record for highest percentage of a conference's teams to make it. If all 9 get in we will set a record that will likely never be broken.

Jul 2, 2013
We all should be in same boat. Same record basically and 8-10 in conference. People pretending other teams are in and we are first out had to do with b.s. outdated rpi. We should be in..OU should be out. They have sucked for a month straight. That said it's bedlam. Toss up who will win Wednesday. 50/50 game.
100 percent truth

And why people are valuing OU's great early season wins and ignoring our great late season wins is stupid.

Honestly Texas and Baylor best wins fail in comparission to either OU or OSU.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
OU was 2-4. Split with us and Baylor and was swept by UT.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/201/oklahoma-sooners

OSU was 2-4. Split with OU and UT and was swept by Baylor.

Therefore, you go on to the next tie breaker which is record against the #1.
Re-read the rules I quoted. First you look at a mini round robin among the four tied teams. Baylor wins that round and got the 6 seed. Next you look at a mini round robin among the three remaining teams, throwing out the Baylor games and only looking at game between those three teams. Texas won three, we won two and OU won one so Texas got 7th seed. Then you go to the two team tiebreaker where you compare wins against the highest ranked team. That’s why we got the 8 seed and OU got the 9 seed.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
According to ESPN, we are in right now as a 12 seed. Probably playing Tuesday in Dayton.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/resume/page/2

Resume #47 (12 seed)
BPI #58
RPI #87
Strength of Schedule #10
Strength of Record #47

I know how the RPI is calculated, but it just doesn't seem right to have the #10 strength of schedule and yet we are told that our schedule is what is holding us down in the RPI.

I'm agree with what Dave & John were saying after the game on Saturday. People are telling us that we can't get in because of "bad" home losses to TCU (21-10) and Kansas State (21-10)? Yet people say that TCU and Kansas State are "locks" to be in the tournament. How are those even possibly "bad losses"? To NCAA tournament teams? With 21 wins each? Even Baylor is supposedly solidly in at the same 18-13 record we have. (Granted, being swept by them hurts.) So Baylor beat ou once, beat West Virginia once, beat Texas Tech once, beat Kansas once (all of those wins coming in Waco). texas and us are the only conference road wins they have.

Oh well, just go beat the sooners, Jayhawks, Wildcats and Raiders and it's academic. No problem!

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Re-read the rules I quoted. First you look at a mini round robin among the four tied teams. Baylor wins that round and got the 6 seed. Next you look at a mini round robin among the three remaining teams, throwing out the Baylor games and only looking at game between those three teams. Texas won three, we won two and OU won one so Texas got 7th seed. Then you go to the two team tiebreaker where you compare wins against the highest ranked team. That’s why we got the 8 seed and OU got the 9 seed.
I follow now. Thanks. Sorry.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Interesting Sagarin Rankings (RECENT)

5. Oklahoma State
9. Texas
27. West Virginia
36. Texas Tech
38. Kansas State
52. TCU
54. Kansas
80. Oklahoma
99. Baylor
156. Iowa State

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well, we're officially on ESPN's Bubble Watch:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ewatch030618/one-game-season-tourney-hopefuls

Oklahoma State (18-13, 8-10 Big 12)
(BPI: 58 | SOS: 12 | SOR: 45 | RPI: 87)

The Cowboys completed a season sweep of Kansas on Saturday, adding to a collection of wins (Texas Tech and Oklahoma at home, West Virginia on the road) that gives them a fighting chance heading into the Big 12 tournament.

It's "one-game season" time as Oklahoma State faces rival Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 12 tournament in Kansas City. A loss almost certainly ends this discussion. A win, on the other hand, puts the Pokes on the fast track to serious at-large opportunities.

After all, if they beat the Sooners, they would face Kansas again. Want to impress the committee? Go 3-0 against a potential No. 1 seed.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Well, we're officially on ESPN's Bubble Watch:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ewatch030618/one-game-season-tourney-hopefuls

Oklahoma State (18-13, 8-10 Big 12)
(BPI: 58 | SOS: 12 | SOR: 45 | RPI: 87)

The Cowboys completed a season sweep of Kansas on Saturday, adding to a collection of wins (Texas Tech and Oklahoma at home, West Virginia on the road) that gives them a fighting chance heading into the Big 12 tournament.

It's "one-game season" time as Oklahoma State faces rival Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 12 tournament in Kansas City. A loss almost certainly ends this discussion. A win, on the other hand, puts the Pokes on the fast track to serious at-large opportunities.

After all, if they beat the Sooners, they would face Kansas again. Want to impress the committee? Go 3-0 against a potential No. 1 seed.
LOL! Is 2-0 not enough to impress them? If we beat OU we should be in. End of discussion. I honestly don't see us beating KU 3 times this year. We will have their full attention.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
LOL! Is 2-0 not enough to impress them? If we beat OU we should be in. End of discussion. I honestly don't see us beating KU 3 times this year. We will have their full attention.

I don't know, KU seems to have no answer for the Cowboys this year. Perhaps it's a mis-match issue Self can't solve? Whatever it is who would have thought OSU would dominate KU as they did in Stillwater after beating KU on the road?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Just keep winning, Joe Lunardi obviously doesn't have us in so we need to beat the sooners, and beat Kansas then I think we might get some consideration. I think its totally ridiculous but I also think that's the only way.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
You do realize that lunardi, palm, and espn together have exactly zero votes for who gets into the tourney?

Have you not wondered why the 6 and 7 teams in the big 12 are on the bubble, the 8 team is out, but the 9 team is still considered a lock? You people need to adjust your cynicism a little, you're missing the fun!

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
You do realize that lunardi, palm, and espn together have exactly zero votes for who gets into the tourney?

Have you not wondered why the 6 and 7 teams in the big 12 are on the bubble, the 8 team is out, but the 9 team is still considered a lock? You people need to adjust your cynicism a little, you're missing the fun!
Think on that too long and you'll be headed to the kitchen to fashion a tin-foil hat for yourself...

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

You do realize those guys do this every season and have a pretty damn good record of predicting who gets in and who gets left out? Most years, there are one or two teams they miss on. Hopefully we are one of those teams this year.

I know you're the greatest fan ever, but facts are facts. Your vote counts the same as Lunardi's. Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it true. Based on the parameters the selection committee uses, we are not in at this point. That's not cynicism. It's just how it is.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
You do realize those guys do this every season and have a pretty damn good record of predicting who gets in and who gets left out? Most years, there are one or two teams they miss on. Hopefully we are one of those teams this year.

I know you're the greatest fan ever, but facts are facts. Your vote counts the same as Lunardi's. Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it true. Based on the parameters the selection committee uses, we are not in at this point. That's not cynicism. It's just how it is.
I agree and unfortunately we were at 1% chance before the Iowa State game. I think we are probably at 35% currently. If we beat OU, then it goes up to 50% chance. If we beat OU and KU in the tournament, then our odds go to 75%. Beat the next team and it goes to 90% and win the tourney obviously 100%.

I think we squeeze in with a win against OU but nothing is definite.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007

aussie, my vote don't count none at all. But you don't know squat about what the committee is going to do unless you are on the committee. You need to lighten up and enjoy the show, instead of getting all bent out of shape like that.

Wait, are you related to lunardi?