What do you think it will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• We are in right Now

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 1 more win

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 2 more wins (2 in the B12 Tourney or 1 and beat KU)

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • 3 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney or 2 and beat KU)

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • 4 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney and beat KU)

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Have to win the B12 Tourney. No way in except with the auto-bid

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
OU is 9th. It is round robin record between OU, OSU, UT, and BU as the Tie breaker. OU and OSU were tied for last there at 2-4. The next tie breaker is record against #1 in the league. They were 0-2 and we were 2-0. Therefore we were in front. Not that it makes any difference though.

http://bball.notnothing.net/b12bracket.php
I thought it worked like this. OU, OSU, UT and Baylor tied in conference at 8-10. Amongst those teams, Baylor had 5 wins having swept OSU and Texas and splitting with OU so they get the #6 seed in the tournament. Amongst the other three teams, Texas had 3 wins, OSU had 2 and OU had 1, giving the seeding in that order.

This follows the tiebreaker procedure of ranking the tied teams in a mini-round robin format.

“Ties Involving More than Two Teams.

Results from the collective head-to-head competition during the regular season among the tied teams in a mini round-robin format, ranking the tied teams by winning percentage from highest to lowest will be used to determine the seeds.

If during this process two teams remain tied with the same winning percentage, the two-team tiebreaking system is used, starting with head-to-head results.
If during this process more than two teams remain tied with the same winning percentage, a second mini round-robin format is implemented, ranking the remaining tied teams by winning percentage from highest to lowest to determine seeds. If the teams remain tied, then the two-team tiebreaking system is used, starting with head-to-head results.

If more than two teams are still tied, each of the tied team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings, eliminating tied teams with inferior records until one team gains an advantage.”

Last edited:

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
IMO focusing on RPI in the case of OSU puts form over substance. Every team schedules weak teams in non conference, the same as OSU. Nobody can predict whether those teams will win 5 games or maybe 10 or 12. In our case, Pitt and ORU had unusually bad seasons, but historically they are good programs. But so what, we beat those teams. We played Wichita, Tulsa, Florida State, Arkansas and Texas A&M, and those are all good teams. We played 18 games in the toughest conference in the country. We have zero bad losses, every team who beat us is projected in the tourney. We have 4 top 10wins and 6 top 25 wins, which is more than any of the so called bubble teams. For people like Lunardi to say so what if you swept KU, a 1seed, you don’t make the tourney because you beat Houston Baptist and Pepperdine and they sucked, is freakin insane!

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I thought it worked like this. OU, OSU, UT and Baylor tied in conference at 8-10. Amongst those teams, Baylor had 5 wins having swept OSU and Texas and splitting with OU so they get the #6 seed in the tournament. Amongst the other three teams, Texas had 3 wins, OSU had 2 and OU had 1, giving the seeding in that order.

This follows the tiebreaker procedure of ranking the tied teams in a mini-round robin format.

Results from the collective head-to-head competition during the regular season among the tied teams in a mini round-robin format, ranking the tied teams by winning percentage from highest to lowest will be used to determine the seeds.

If during this process two teams remain tied with the same winning percentage, the two-team tiebreaking system is used, starting with head-to-head results.
If during this process more than two teams remain tied with the same winning percentage, a second mini round-robin format is implemented, ranking the remaining tied teams by winning percentage from highest to lowest to determine seeds. If the teams remain tied, then the two-team tiebreaking system is used, starting with head-to-head results.

If more than two teams are still tied, each of the tied team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings, eliminating tied teams with inferior records until one team gains an advantage.”
OU was 2-4. Split with us and Baylor and was swept by UT.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/201/oklahoma-sooners

OSU was 2-4. Split with OU and UT and was swept by Baylor.

Therefore, you go on to the next tie breaker which is record against the #1.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
OU is 9th. It is round robin record between OU, OSU, UT, and BU as the Tie breaker. OU and OSU were tied for last there at 2-4. The next tie breaker is record against #1 in the league. They were 0-2 and we were 2-0. Therefore we were in front. Not that it makes any difference though.

http://bball.notnothing.net/b12bracket.php

See, if I look at standings on big12.com or ESPN here is what I see.

Big 12 has OU #6 and us #8
ESPN has OU #6 and us #9

Yet the seedings have OU #9 and us #8

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I can't imagine the committee putting 9 teams from the Big 12 in, 8 may even be a stretch in their eyes, regardless of how good the conference is....and therein lies the problem. Between OSU, ou and UT, at least one of us, possibly two, will be left out. Ou has Young and right or wrong, that will help their chances of getting in. If we lose to ou, and UT also beat ISU, then I can't see us getting in over either of them. If we beat ou and have a good showing against KU, then we might get the nod. Bottom line, we must beat ou on Wednesday and it would be nice if ISU could knock off Texas. If we can beat ou and KU again, then we are a lock, not before then. This should go without saying but we also can't have any surprises in conference tourneys where a lower conference gets more in than they expect.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
IMO focusing on RPI in the case of OSU puts form over substance. Every team schedules weak teams in non conference, the same as OSU. Nobody can predict whether those teams will win 5 games or maybe 10 or 12. In our case, Pitt and ORU had unusually bad seasons, but historically they are good programs. But so what, we beat those teams. We played Wichita, Tulsa, Florida State, Arkansas and Texas A&M, and those are all good teams. We played 18 games in the toughest conference in the country. We have zero bad losses, every team who beat us is projected in the tourney. We have 4 top 10wins and 6 top 25 wins, which is more than any of the so called bubble teams. For people like Lunardi to say so what if you swept KU, a 1seed, you don’t make the tourney because you beat Houston Baptist and Pepperdine and they sucked, is freakin insane!
Exactly!! This times 1000. We should be in the tourney right now. The only people saying that are people who truly have not examined our schedule. It's frankly BS that our RPI is that low. IT's quirk. It's like Syracuse that one year. Again, RPI is a metric but it should be a very small one. Occassionally it just flat doesn't tell the story and that's the case here.

OSU SHOULD BE IN RIGHT NOW AS WE STAND! OSU OFFICIALS SHOULD ALSO POINT OUT THAT SHINE WAS INJURED FOR 2 WEEKS, WHEN WE LOST SOME BIG 12 GAMES AND LOST TO ARKANSAS WITHOUT SHINE AND KENDALL SMITH IN THE LINEUP. BY 1 FREAKIN POINT ON THE ROAD.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I can't imagine the committee putting 9 teams from the Big 12 in, 8 may even be a stretch in their eyes, regardless of how good the conference is....and therein lies the problem. Between OSU, ou and UT, at least one of us, possibly two, will be left out. Ou has Young and right or wrong, that will help their chances of getting in. If we lose to ou, and UT also beat ISU, then I can't see us getting in over either of them. If we beat ou and have a good showing against KU, then we might get the nod. Bottom line, we must beat ou on Wednesday and it would be nice if ISU could knock off Texas. If we can beat ou and KU again, then we are a lock, not before then. This should go without saying but we also can't have any surprises in conference tourneys where a lower conference gets more in than they expect.
if the world were just and fair we should be in right now. that's the honest truth but we'll see. NO freakin way we arent' really one of the best 45 teams in the country-- let alone 68 teams.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
That article is from Feb 23 (Updated Feb 25).

That being said, Jerry Palm still sucks.
LOL! Here's the updated. Still not on the bubble list. LOL!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Lunardi actually has us in the first four out now though. I think that is likely accurate. Beat OU and we are in. UT is in the last 4 in. They beat ISU and they are solid.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

UT is hot now. I don't see any way they loose to ISU. KSU and Baylor have likely done enough to stay in. The real question in my mind is if we beat OU will OU still be in. It would be hard to see the committee putting 9 B12 teams in, but wouldn't it be amazing!!! Either way, I've got something to be happy about. LOL!!!

Feb 18, 2009
I think we have to get to Friday in the tourney to be solidly in, probably a 9/10 seed.

Beat ou, I still I think we're still in around 12.

Lose to ou and we're firmly on the bubble, most likely outside looking in.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We should be sitting on a four game win streak if the ref's called the Texas game correctly...but that's basketball...IMHO if that was the case we would already be in. We are playing as good as anyone in the country right now and if we keep doing that we should win Bedlam Wednesday and sleep well knowing that a 3rd match up with a team we have throttled twice should be another win...lol.

Aug 21, 2009
Edmond
We should be sitting on a four game win streak if the ref's called the Texas game correctly...but that's basketball...IMHO if that was the case we would already be in. We are playing as good as anyone in the country right now and if we keep doing that we should win Bedlam Wednesday and sleep well knowing that a 3rd match up with a team we have throttled twice should be another win...lol.
If Lindy guards the left handed point guard's left hand instead of his right... we beat Texas.

ifs and buts...

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
LOL! Here's the updated. Still not on the bubble list. LOL!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Lunardi actually has us in the first four out now though. I think that is likely accurate. Beat OU and we are in. UT is in the last 4 in. They beat ISU and they are solid.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

UT is hot now. I don't see any way they loose to ISU. KSU and Baylor have likely done enough to stay in. The real question in my mind is if we beat OU will OU still be in. It would be hard to see the committee putting 9 B12 teams in, but wouldn't it be amazing!!! Either way, I've got something to be happy about. LOL!!!
We all should be in same boat. Same record basically and 8-10 in conference. People pretending other teams are in and we are first out had to do with b.s. outdated rpi. We should be in..OU should be out. They have sucked for a month straight. That said it's bedlam. Toss up who will win Wednesday. 50/50 game.