What do you think it will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will take to make the NCAA Tournament?

• We are in right Now

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 1 more win

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 2 more wins (2 in the B12 Tourney or 1 and beat KU)

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • 3 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney or 2 and beat KU)

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • 4 more wins (3 in the B12 Tourney and beat KU)

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Have to win the B12 Tourney. No way in except with the auto-bid

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
What will it take? We can't get better than a 7 seed and can't be worse than a 9. So we will either play KU, TT, or WVU in the first second round. Second Third round will likely be either TT or WVU. That means other than round 1, we will likely only play top tier teams going forward.

Note: Edited to fix my round callouts.

Last edited:

Okieleaks

Le Soleil
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Mar 19, 2017
Here to there
Thoughts and prayers always seem to work for every other dire situation, so more of those fellas! Get on your knees and start thinking about praying.

Conversely, bear down on KU and at least 1 big 12-2 tourney win and we are solidly on the bubble.

Last edited:

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
What will it take? We can't get better than a 7 seed and can't be worse than a 9. So we will either play KU, TT, or WVU in the first round. Second round will likely be either TT or WVU. That means other than round 1, we will likely only play top tier teams going forward.
Round one will be ISU, TX or OU. Round two will be KU, TT or WVU

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I think we CAN get in with 2 more wins, but I don't feel really comfortable about it unless we get 3 more, so that's what I picked.
Yeah, we really need to get the 7th seed so we don't play KU in the second round. Even with a KU win, it is possible for us to not get the 7th seed (Baylor loss and OU/UT win). If that were to happen we would possibly have to beat KU 3 times. Hard to see that happening.

Feb 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Our RPI is so low that we would be the lowest-ranked team (by that measure) to make the tournament, by some distance. Had we won any two of KSU home/away, Baylor home, and Texas away, we'd be fine.

As it stands I really think it takes beating KU at least once. The first-round game in KC is a must-win, in the sense that it would be a pretty bad loss otherwise. Then I think we need at least one more quality win, depending on results elsewhere.

I wouldn't feel hopeful in a bid unless we're playing next Friday. Not confident unless we're playing on Saturday. I think it takes four wins to get in, because we can't rely on help. Which means a run to the tournament finals and one more win on a Saturday.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I think we CAN get in with 2 more wins, but I don't feel really comfortable about it unless we get 3 more, so that's what I picked.
Yeah, we really need to get the 7th seed so we don't play KU in the second round. Even with a KU win, it is possible for us to not get the 7th seed (Baylor loss and OU/UT win). If that were to happen we would possibly have to beat KU 3 times. Hard to see that happening.
OU needs to lose tonight, and we beat KU tomorrow. Oh and Texas loses to WVU just for grins and giggles.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Beat KU, win first round
OR
Lose KU, win first round, win second round (probably KU).

I view it as two chances to beat KU.

The 8-9 play-in game eliminates someone from being considered for the dance. Early exit for OU or Texas is preferred.

Oct 30, 2007
If we lose to Kansas tomorrow, the only way we're getting the in the NCAA tournament is by winning the conference tournament. There's no way the selection committee would take a team with a conference record of 7-11 and an RPI in the 90's.

Even in we beat Kansas, our RPI will be a lot to overcome. We'll likely need to have some success in the Big 12 tournament. We would probably have to win a couple of games.

What we really need is a time machine to go back and change the non-conference schedule. We played several terrible teams that have less than 10 wins on the season. That RPI albatross around our neck is going to be hard to overcome. It's doable though. GO POKES!