What bothers you the most?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
What bothers me the most is it feels like the movie groundhog day, and it has for the last 3 years TBH. We are stuck in a serious rut. I thought Jim Knowles and his aggressive scheme would really shine. Fact is we are not really playing aggressive press coverage on the corners as I expected. Maybe its because the talent isn't there to be physical without getting beat. Enoch Smith is serviceable but he's a step and a half below Darian Daniels and its also affecting the pass rush. Our margin for error on both lines is razor thin and its showing.

Taylor Cornelius is doing the best he can and I don't want to say anything more negative about the guy, he's really close to being an above average QB and it has nothing to do with stats. Our base offense doesn't play to his strengths and it seem that we fall back to it in the second half of every game. Think about the first drive vs K State, the first half of the Texas game, the first half of the Baylor game, we were moving the ball with short passes, 2 back sets running the ball and then when the second half rolls around we look like we forgot all that and revert back to the 3 and out offense.

The main thing that bothers me is that there isn't a leader on this team right now, neither player nor coach that's out there willing his team to give just a little bit more. The closest we've seen this year is the end of the Texas game. To me that's unacceptable, you have the opportunity to coach during games and we don't take advantage of that, it's like the game plan is either going to work or it isn't and that's it.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
What bothers me the most is it feels like the movie groundhog day, and it has for the last 3 years TBH. We are stuck in a serious rut. I thought Jim Knowles and his aggressive scheme would really shine. Fact is we are not really playing aggressive press coverage on the corners as I expected. Maybe its because the talent isn't there to be physical without getting beat. Enoch Smith is serviceable but he's a step and a half below Darian Daniels and its also affecting the pass rush. Our margin for error on both lines is razor thin and its showing.

Taylor Cornelius is doing the best he can and I don't want to say anything more negative about the guy, he's really close to being an above average QB and it has nothing to do with stats. Our base offense doesn't play to his strengths and it seem that we fall back to it in the second half of every game. Think about the first drive vs K State, the first half of the Texas game, the first half of the Baylor game, we were moving the ball with short passes, 2 back sets running the ball and then when the second half rolls around we look like we forgot all that and revert back to the 3 and out offense.

The main thing that bothers me is that there isn't a leader on this team right now, neither player nor coach that's out there willing his team to give just a little bit more. The closest we've seen this year is the end of the Texas game. To me that's unacceptable, you have the opportunity to coach during games and we don't take advantage of that, it's like the game plan is either going to work or it isn't and that's it.
At least Bill Murray learned to do something different every day and got different results each time, even if the setup was the same.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
What bothers me most?
A top 10 paid coach but not a top 10 program. Gundy should not even sniff another raise short of at least another conference title.....none, nada, zilch, zip, zero. That salary does not go up by $1 until the number of Big 12 football titles at OSU goes up by 1 as well.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
The myriad of recruiting failure excuses are wearing me out. For years have bought into the “can’t recruit to Stillwater” story and, i must admit, we are not exactly a tourist destination, but neither is Manhattan, Ks or Lubbock, TX. Time to can that excuse and the rest of them along with it. Coaches need to do their darn jobs and it’s not just on the field.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What bothers me most?
A top 10 paid coach but not a top 10 program. Gundy should not even sniff another raise short of at least another conference title.....none, nada, zilch, zip, zero. That salary does not go up by $1 until the number of Big 12 football titles at OSU goes up by 1 as well.
I hate to tell you but automatic raises are built in. We don't have a top 10 budget, top 10 results or top 10 money for the assistants, but we have a top 10 paid head coach. Gundy is a good coach, but he's even better at marketing himself.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
The myriad of recruiting failure excuses are wearing me out. For years have bought into the “can’t recruit to Stillwater” story and, i must admit, we are not exactly a tourist destination, but neither is Manhattan, Ks or Lubbock, TX. Time to can that excuse and the rest of them along with it. Coaches need to do their darn jobs and it’s not just on the field.
While I realize both of those examples beat us this year, they're not exactly recruiting studs. Also, we've owned Tech over the past decade while battling back and forth with the Purple Wizard who may be one of the best coaches over the past twenty years.

I agree though that our recruiting needs to improve.

Jun 14, 2013
I hate to tell you but automatic raises are built in. We don't have a top 10 budget, top 10 results or top 10 money for the assistants, but we have a top 10 paid head coach. Gundy is a good coach, but he's even better at marketing himself.
The raises are built in, but AD can stop the automatic rollover by notifying HCMG to that effect.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The raises are built in, but AD can stop the automatic rollover by notifying HCMG to that effect.
It's a bad season so there is more noise around the program, but Holder remembers the crap storm around Underwood's quick departure. He doesn't want to even think about Gundy slipping out the door towards the end of his watch. Neither Gundy, nor Holder is rocking that boat for now.

Dec 21, 2008
Bowman beats ou and Tech is prob where ou is right now if he had stayed healthy all year. Kid is a downright stud who is executing that offensive scheme to perfection. Wish we would "try something new"

Feb 18, 2009
Ever been to Ames?

Feb 18, 2009
Counting a bowl game, there are four games left. Meaning everyone on the roster who hasn't played should play at least some because there is zero penalty now. If that doesn't happen and we have players sit out an entire year, then that will become what bothers me the most. I wouldn't waste another down on a players that won't be here next year. Let's make the next month our bowl season leading into Spring.:runaway:

There is some tongue in cheek in there. Calm down.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Gundy’s salary really gripes you. I’m not sure you have made a post recently without mentioning it. This is 2018 where HC and CEO pay is exhorbitant, not because it is justified (it rarely is).

“It’s going to be his undoing if Holder does his job right”. What are you implying/suggesting? That Holder needs to set a trap or sabotage Gundy into getting fired or force him to leave? How do you imagine that would unfold?
Mike Gundy is either #10 or just outside the top 10 in total compensation. When I get time I will run down the top 10 to try to see where the value proposition lies with his level of pay compared to his peers.

As far as Holder setting a trap or sabotaging him, I would say he's doing a fair job of doing that to himself.
https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-college-football-coaches/

#18 on this list

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lahoma-state-reportedly-agree-to-new-contract
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
Coach Gundy signed a new contract early in 2017 for $4.2 million per year, with a built in $125K per year raise. He used another job this past offseason to get his salary bumped up to $5 million per year. That put him tied for 10th in the country this past season.

He'll move up in the coming years as well because he still has the $125K annual raise built into his contract. So even if we go 5-7 and miss a bowl, he'll still get a six figure raise this offseason.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lahoma-state-reportedly-agree-to-new-contract
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
Coach Gundy signed a new contract early in 2017 for $4.2 million per year, with a built in $125K per year raise. He used another job this past offseason to get his salary bumped up to $5 million per year. That put him tied for 10th in the country this past season.

He'll move up in the coming years as well because he still has the $125K annual raise built into his contract. So even if we go 5-7 and miss a bowl, he'll still get a six figure raise this offseason.
That USA Today is behind the times. Nick Saban is making over $11 million per year now. USA Today lists him at a measly $8.3. I mean, how can a guy live on that?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-alabama-saban-new-deal-20180727-story.html

Other coaches have gotten new deals too. I believe what I posted is current.