What bothers you the most?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
I think what bothers me most about the the program as a whole is the overwhelming feeling of missed opportunity. Someone told me once that you're always pushing forward or falling behind. You're never standing still. For Coach Gundy's first several years, we were steadily pushing forward. This all culminated in the 2011 season where we were a missed field goal away from playing for a national championship.

The next step was simple. We had to start recruiting at a higher level to keep pushing forward as a program. Coach Gundy tried to do this the following year. We targeted several national players and missed on almost all of them. Coach Gundy said that he felt like they made a mistake by getting away from this region and the state of Texas.

Texas A&M opened up the state of Texas to the SEC and TCU started competing for talented players whenever they joined the Big 12. We needed to improve our recruiting to move to the next level as a program, but instead our recruiting got worse. Coach Gundy made some critical errors in hiring Connolly & Atkins and we accepted mediocrity on the defensive side of the ball for too long.

I remember Coach Gundy's first season. He was so hungry for success that I worried about his health. I heard there were times that he didn't even go home from the office. He worked as hard as he could at recruiting and he signed the top ranked class of his entire career coming off a 4-7 season. I worry that complacency has set in and he doesn't have the same fire burning in his stomach. I don't think he'll ever achieve greatness unless he finds that fire again.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I guess four 10 win seasons out of the previous five and six double-digit win seasons out of the previous eight buys more leeway in my mind than it does in yours.
Had it not been for those losses, the Pokes would be looking at playing in the conference championship game last year even with the OU loss. Y'know a freebie second chance? A lot of bad things are hidden in good numbers, but eventually the underpinnings of the problems beneath those numbers manifest in what you are seeing now. You have to be kind of simplistic to not get alarmed by some of the things you saw last year, the year before, and with recruiting in the off-season.

But I guess I should have just kept those orange glasses on last year and chug-a-lugged that orange cyanide because as it turned out everything was just hunky-dory behind the scenes! :koolaid:
Not sure what about my post set you off, but okay. Of course there were missed opportunities. Missing out on one or two more conference championships by a handful of plays stings the worst. Doesn't change my feeling about the whole situation and I have a feeling we'll never see eye to eye on it.

Call me an orange glasses wearing Kool-aid drinker all you want, but just because you believe it, doesn't make it true.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I'm not going to "blast away," but I do think the context of the recent "rant" after the Texas win was in protection of a player in it's context and not in a "look at me" moment. Certainly a few things have been done by Gundy in terms of marketing that may or may not have been planed (i.e. the mullet just kind of developed but the shirt thing may have been played like the wrestling advertisement and such antics). Those things, while they seem a bit strange to the more conservative and old fashion among us, myself included, actually do more good for our program by the attention they bring. The "I'm a man, I'm forty" rant is still a highlight of OSU football under Gundy and was followed by an unprecedented rise in our program. Many of the same people that are highly critical today, didn't think that rant was a positive...despite the evidence. One of the reasons you see Gundy in more open real converstaion is that you see Gundy more...The press doesn't talk to those other coaches you mentioned nearly as much as they do a head football coach. Goes with the territory of being a major college head football coach.

Regarding his pay, yes he is highly paid as are many others in his sport. One guy is paid $3.3 million more than him a year and 8 guys are paid at least a million more a year...Some of them are preforming worse over their short tenures. Certainly we need more wins, but one of the ways you get there is by paying your coaches in competitive ways to others...He's had to earn that salary by having multiple 10 win seasons in the last three years other coaches that are paid more have had half the time or less at their jobs and very few results...(Herman and Frost). For fans who claim they want championships its odd to be critical of salary.

Your last paragraph is awesome...it's what we all want and it's what Gundy has provided. To me the clean program high character part is worth the money.
I'm not looking to get into an argument, but I disagree with most of your takes in this post.
Without the revenue from successful football, some of those other programs prolly wouldn’t exist, or at least to the level they do. I get what your saying, but successful football matters.

First of all, I didn't say anything remotely close to the idea that football doesn't matter.

Second, I see where you're coming from. I think Florida is an excellent example of football success bleeding over into creating other successful programs. But, I'm not necessarily buying that football HAS to be successful in order to properly fund other programs at a championship level. It seems to me that football is a beast that has to be fed about as much as it produces. I would argue that funding from booster donations is what really helps tip a program over the top to having the resources needed to compete at a championship level. Our football success in the last decade did not build our new baseball stadium, it did not fund the new softball locker rooms, it didn't build the new tennis facility, and it didn't build the new soccer complex. I definitely don't buy the idea that popularity from football led to those donations either. You can argue that the GIA expansion wasn't handled in a fiscally responsible way, and that may be true, but when the wheels began turning on that project, it was the nineties and our football program wasn't consistently doing anything noteworthy. Whatever Holder has in mind for new facilities for Cowboy Wrestling, it won't be funded by $$$ raked in by the football program.

I wouldn't necessarily categorize UCLA, Arkansas, Stanford, or North Carolina (let alone us, in the nineties) as consistent blue bloods in football, yet the overall successes of their athletic programs are pretty good examples that football doesn't always have to be rolling in order to experience success in, and properly fund, other programs.

Dorango

Wrangler
Jun 29, 2004
Flower Mound, TX
What bothers me a lot in football is when they do not catch the punts. So I am bothered 3-4 times a game. At Baylor in the first quarter we were up 7-0 and Baylor was punting and we “were “ going to get great field position. Nope. Ball lands at our 42 and rolls down to the 18. 24 yards of field position. Catch the dang ball !

Jan 14, 2006
What bothers me a lot in football is when they do not catch the punts. So I am bothered 3-4 times a game. At Baylor in the first quarter we were up 7-0 and Baylor was punting and we “were “ going to get great field position. Nope. Ball lands at our 42 and rolls down to the 18. 24 yards of field position. Catch the dang ball !
Normally I'd agree with you but the wind was crazy all game.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper: After 9 games, Oklahoma State’s new defense is still looking for answers...

Saturday’s 35-31 loss to Baylor wasn’t a low point for the Oklahoma State defense, but it was the latest in a series of frustrating moments as Knowles tries to get things right in his first season as defensive coordinator. The Cowboys held Baylor’s offense to seven points in the first half. It continued a trend of encouraging first-half performances, like against Texas and Kansas State.

Down the stretch, though, and following the insertion of a new quarterback, the defense folded. Oklahoma State allowed as many points in the final six minutes (14) as it did the rest of the game.

It mimicked the second halves of losses to Kansas State and Iowa State, and even the win over Texas.

Denzel Mims’ 6-yard touchdown grab with seven seconds remaining left OSU in a state of delirium. Green, who hit the ground hard trying to pry the football away from Mims, gave a thousand-yard stare as he was helped off the field and into the tunnel.

As he spoke to the media, Knowles’ tone shifted time and time again. He sounded exasperated at times. In response to other questions, he bowed his head and mumbled.

He said it’s past time to use it being his first season as an excuse.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
What bothers me is the missed opportunity. OSU had it all in front of them to solidify themselves as the perennial conference co-favorite along with OU. UT has been sputtering for years and still is. And the rest of the conference doesn’t have the complete set of tools that OSU does. Yet they’ve allowed themselves to fall back to the pack and they no longer have that national respect that they briefly held.

Dec 19, 2012
Our fan base has bothered me the most. The loudest are the ones with unreasonable expectations and asked for coaches to be fired.
My takes:
1. We need a reload year about every four-five years. The last time, Rudolph was a freshman. The new redshirt rule moved the timeline for playing freshman to the Bedlam game.
2. We have a new DC, and he gets 2-3 years to adjust. Our defense has been terrible the last few years, and it's a big reason we haven't won another Big XII Championship. Just like any new head coach, a DC needs time to recruit players that fit their system and to coach their system into the program.
3. Our Oline has been in the same boat as our defense and is just starting to turn the corner. An OC can't be expected to succeed without a stellar Oline.
4. Next year we should have at least 2-3 more wins, and two years from now back to 10 wins plus- if that doesn't happen I'll start to worry.
5. Our fans are being unreasonable and reminding me of fans from another school in our state. We need to breathe this year and look forward to next year without making absurd and rash statements.

With that said, I am most disappointed in the penalties and discipline of our team lately. While I think several pass interferce calls have been bogus, our discipline is not there and that is coacgable- time to bench guys if they can't avoid dumb penalties.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Coach Gundy doesn’t need to be fired but motivated. His teams play extremely well when his back is against the wall. The problem is that no one is pushing him. He is making too much money and has become complacent.

Nov 28, 2008
About this season or even overall about the football program?

For me, above all else, it's what seems to be a lack of emotion or enthusiasm. It can't just be ' we'll come in tomorrow and get back to work on next week'. HCMG says this over and over. And we keep being outplayed by reams with less talent. We knew he would show the live to Corndog because he's loyal to a fault to a guy who stuck it out.
Come on, giving up 48 to ISU, how to does that at happen. Even worse 12 points at KSU?
Please somebody wearing pads act like you care, enjoy playing, and show some enthusiasm!
has anyone, at any point had any observable accountability? At all?

What happens if you commit an idiotic PF in the waning moments of a football game? Should you be benched?

Jul 11, 2018
Tulsa
1. repeating the same mistakes over and over, year after year- ie
no special teams coordinator in spite of having ~20 advisers;
not using relief QB this year when the marginal D1 walk on falters;
having no ability to make adjustments in the second half; bad play calling (w/o MR to bail you out on 3rd down)
2. hiring no name coordinators when the money and momentum were there to find a top shelf coach
3, leaving the run and shoot why reasons didn't change just it appears the HC ego wouldn't allow
4. calling out twitter - nothing good was going to come out of it

wonder how history changes if someone didn't make Gundy hire Hogy?

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
1. repeating the same mistakes over and over, year after year- ie
no special teams coordinator in spite of having ~20 advisers;
not using relief QB this year when the marginal D1 walk on falters;
having no ability to make adjustments in the second half; bad play calling (w/o MR to bail you out on 3rd down)
2. hiring no name coordinators when the money and momentum were there to find a top shelf coach
3, leaving the run and shoot why reasons didn't change just it appears the HC ego wouldn't allow
4. calling out twitter - nothing good was going to come out of it

wonder how history changes if someone didn't make Gundy hire Hogy?
Good Post! Like I said we need someone to push gundy to make the right decisions. He is not being held accountable! Not saying he should be fired but we need someone that can force his hand at times.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
Recruiting. This season is all about recruiting woes. O-line won’t be fixed for a couple years at best due to horrible lazy recruiting with past coaches. When you continually get middle of the pack recruiting classes you’re going to get middle of the pack results. This program isn’t on the reload level yet due to recruiting. Until OSU can get multiple top 25 recruiting every year this program isn’t even gonna compete for Big 12 championships. The wildcard for this is if OSU strikes gold with an NFL caliber QB to offset the overall talent disadvantage.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
If we lose Kasey Dunn, we are screwed as a program. But we need to have Knowles clean house with his defensive staff.
He needs to keep Joe Bob Clements. The secondary staff is expendable and should be parted with by Knowles. They are struggling.