What’s the ceiling for Justice Hill?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
We are absolutely loaded at running back this year. Why would we want to ride Justice into the ground for an individual trophy? He's the undisputed #1 and I'm sure he will get the most touches. He'll have every chance to win the Heisman. With backups like Hubbard, Brown and King we'd be insane to ride Hill like a rented mule...…..

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Side note. Terry Miller left college in about as good of shape and with as many miles as my car when I left college. We wore him out.

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
Justice hill is a great player for us. But considering how few rb’s have gotten the award in the past 15-20 years I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many of our fans think he’s going to have such a great chance at a Heisman.

Apr 27, 2006
For Justice to win the Heisman he will have to rewrite the record books like Barry and the chance of this especially with any limitation on carries is slim to none.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Heisman is possible if the team wins 9 or more games.
2017, QB Baker Mayfield, 12-2
2016, QB Lamar Jackson, 9-4
2015, RB Derrick Henry, 14-1
2014, QB Marcus Mariota, 13-2
2013, QB Jameis Winston, 14-0
2012, QB Johnny Manziel, 11-2
2011, QB Robert Griffin III, 10-3
2010, QB Cam Newton, 14-0
2009, RB Mark Ingram, 14-0
2008, QB Sam Bradford, 12-2

Possible, yes. But recent history suggests it is already hard to win the Heisman as a running back (2 of last 10) and even harder if your team wins less than 10 games (1 of 10). I think putting those two together would be nearly impossible.

In fact the only two running backs to win in the last ten years both won a national championship and both played for Alabama. :thumbdown:

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Justice hill is a great player for us. But considering how few rb’s have gotten the award in the past 15-20 years I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many of our fans think he’s going to have such a great chance at a Heisman.
Sometimes people get confused and think it's a just world.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Pokevision

8F004ABA-B957-4C2D-971E-4673456252C7.jpeg

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Possible, yes. But recent history suggests it is already hard to win the Heisman as a running back (2 of last 10) and even harder if your team wins less than 10 games (1 of 10). I think putting those two together would be nearly impossible.

In fact the only two running backs to win in the last ten years both won a national championship and both played for Alabama. :thumbdown:
well, we will just have to win that then! :)

Jun 14, 2011
We are absolutely loaded at running back this year. Why would we want to ride Justice into the ground for an individual trophy? He's the undisputed #1 and I'm sure he will get the most touches. He'll have every chance to win the Heisman. With backups like Hubbard, Brown and King we'd be insane to ride Hill like a rented mule...…..
This is right on IMO.

I'll go further and say I thought that we should have utilized King more last year. Not to discredit Hill, but give him the occasional breather. He (King) seemed to be fantastic when he was in games, but maybe the coaches saw things in practice/film rooms that we didn't. Obviously Hill is the marquee guy, but how much more pop would he have had towards the end of the year or at least at the end of games if he had been spelled on a series or two more per game by a really good backup. Either way, I think they will both have a lot of opportunity to get touches this year.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
I don't think anyone on this board thinks Gundy is the best coach of all time in college football. We do, however, have a thing called perspective about our program, city, and situation over time. That perspective doesn't mean we don't have very high expectations as well and EXPECT our teams to overcome the negatives. This is because we think he and Boone and Holder have raised the bar at OSU so very high. The evidence of that is folks like you now exist in greater numbers than ever before. HCMG has said in the past that he welcomes such high expectations. As far as his character, most of us don't really know Mike, except for the evidence of evidently being able to stay in a marriage and raise decent kids (at least as far as we know). Is he flawed in some ways (Ego), yep I'm sure he is, just like we all are in this fallen world. Even Coach Sutton was very flawed and I bet you think he was just great despite having nearly the exact same levels of success that Mike Gundy has had at OSU.

As far as on the field coaching, it is really easy for us keyboard coaches to see those details after the fact. Certainly he has made some mistakes (QB selections in past I have been very critical of), but to call a 10 win season, ANY 10 win season... at ANY school "a disaster" is really short sited and arrogant. It's the attitude that got coach Solich fired at Nebraska so many years ago and sent them into a 20-year skid to the point that Oklahoma State (for one) is currently a better program NOW than is freaking Nebraska (btw, what's Gundy's record against the Huskers?).

Regarding Justice Hill, a coach is going to say what a coach says to motivate people or to mess with the media or to continue a formula that has been in place for a long time. The formula at OSU has been to play two and even three running backs in our offense, we have even done this with current NFL guys, it keeps them fresh and healthy and has worked for the entire Gundy era. He's not going to change that philosophy and frankly shouldn't when he has the two back ups that he does on this team and a track record of great success with running backs. As far as what young Mr. Hill is going to do, I would bet coach knows far more than you of his intentions. In fact, I kind of expect that Justice Hill will stay four years as well. Not because he isn't a great player, but because that has been Gundy players pattern for a while now (Washington, Rudolph, Weed, others) . The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that went early seem to turn out to be character risk guys (i.e. Blackmon, Randle, Bryant)...I can tell you without taking too many liberties, that Justice HIll is NOT one of those.

Bottom line, I really don't know if you are just a troll or really do have some sort of personal vendetta against Coach Gundy, but it's getting old and sort of just makes you look bad. If you really do care about OSU at all, I would think you would stop as it only hurts us to constantly "bedowngrade" our current head coach on a public forum, especially since he's our best (record wise) of all time.
All I got from this is the usual Gundy defense excuses but if you want to make another side bet on Hill leaving after this year, we can.

I have my opinion of Gundy and it is based on opportunities lost. He has done nothing any other guy wouldn’t have done in his position given the same circumstances. Well, I take that back, nobody else would have lost to CMU. As far as making me look bad????.... I am similar to Gundy in that way because I really couldn’t care less what most of the morons on here think. However, I wouldn’t claim to love a place of work and always look for other jobs and leverage that for higher pay at every possible opportunity. And you are correct, all you know is what you know about HCMG and I’m sure he hopes to keep pulling the wool over your eyes and most others on here.....in so many ways!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
All I got from this is the usual Gundy defense excuses but if you want to make another side bet on Hill leaving after this year, we can.

I have my opinion of Gundy and it is based on opportunities lost. He has done nothing any other guy wouldn’t have done in his position given the same circumstances. Well, I take that back, nobody else would have lost to CMU. As far as making me look bad????.... I am similar to Gundy in that way because I really couldn’t care less what most of the morons on here think. However, I wouldn’t claim to love a place of work and always look for other jobs and leverage that for higher pay at every possible opportunity. And you are correct, all you know is what you know about HCMG and I’m sure he hopes to keep pulling the wool over your eyes and most others on here.....in so many ways!
Dead Horse.png

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
I agree to a point. I didn’t mean run him in to the ground nor did I say such. I said, Hill should play until he feels he is tired or it’s obv. Brown and King are good. Hubbard I think will be better than both of them but we don’t know that and as of right now Hill is by FAR the best playmaker we have and is 2-3 times better than King and Brown. That’s not knocking them; that’s just how good Hill is and the experience is a big part of that. And we don’t have to “run him into the ground” to get the stats.

Basically it’s like saying should we give Hill the ball for his 17-20th touches or would it be better to give it to a fresher Brown or King? I’d take my chances with Hill all day in that scenario. Hill is just so much better in the open field than anyone we have. I have a feeling we are going to need that threat more often than not this year.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas

Like I said, there are many reasons why he won’t even be a candidate, but he could be. But his ceiling is what we are really talking about.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
I'd be willing to bet anyone a pizza that Jimmy will be blaming the "weak conference" when we exceed his expectations.

Of course being the negative nancy does allow you to always have an "I told you so" because short of winning a National Championship and going undefeated there will always be a chance to point out how we "choked in a big game."
You are right, there will be plenty of opportunities to point where Gundy chokes away opportunities. It happens every year.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I hope so.....but I’m telling you, even with the weak teams we have in the conference as someone pointed out, I like my chances.
Maybe so...but history under Gundy says we win more than the pundits think...8 of the last 10 years we have won 9 or more....6 of the last 10 years we have won at least 10. I like my odds as well. Bottom line I will pay up if I lose. I'm hoping we know by West Virginia that I haven't, and I'm eating Hideaway for pre game...

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You are right, there will be plenty of opportunities to point where Gundy chokes away opportunities. It happens every year.
If you consider any loss to be a choke then it happens to just about every team every year. Saban has found a way to choke in at least 1 game every year of his career except for 1.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Like I said, there are many reasons why he won’t even be a candidate, but he could be. But his ceiling is what we are really talking about.
is that really what you are talking about or are you back to whining about Gundy again? seems like the latter to me........ you're hatred for Gundy seem to derail most football threads...........