What’s the ceiling for Justice Hill?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The latest in Mark Cooper's pre-Big 12 media days series on Oklahoma State football is about Justice Hill. Here's links to the previous entries:

No. 10: How will the tight end fit into Oklahoma State's offense?
No. 9: Can continuity be the answer on special teams?
No. 8: Can Oklahoma State's young corners make the second-year leap?
No. 7: Which new leaders emerge on defense?
No. 6: Who fortifies the tackle positions?

Excerpts from today's entry:

With Big 12 media days less than a week away, it’s still unclear if Hill will enter the season a preseason All-Big 12 pick. While it seems likely he will after making the first team at the end of last season, there are only two running back slots and three talented, experienced backs in Hill, Oklahoma’s Rodney Anderson and Iowa State’s David Montgomery. A conference known for its quarterbacks the past few seasons now has quite a stable of running backs.

So while it seems like Hill has already accomplished plenty in an OSU uniform, 2018 could be the year he separates himself on a national level. He’s the centerpiece of an offense in transition, and Mike Gundy and Mike Yurcich are surely seeking ways to get him in open space.

A Heisman-level year would require Oklahoma State to outperform expectations as a team, but is the Doak Walker Award within reach?
He has already done things that few in Cowboy history have accomplished.
  • He’s one of seven Cowboys to post multiple 1,000-yard seasons
  • He’s the only player in OSU history to rush for 1,000 yards as a freshman
  • He enters 2018 as one of only four players in school history to average 100-plus yards per game (the others: Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Terry Miller)

Link

Nov 8, 2013
Impressive sentence -
  • He enters 2018 as one of only four players in school history to average 100-plus yards per game (the others: Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Terry Miller)

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Heisman is possible if the team wins 9 or more games. QB has to throw well enough for the passing game (especially the deep passing game) to be an effective alternate threat so DB's have to back up a little and LB's have to play some pass defense. Offensive line has to gel early enough to allow him to post some gaudy rushing numbers early in the season to get some national notice.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Unfortunately Heisman won’t happen. Heisman is just a popularity contest anyways. It’s mostly a QB award these days... Only 3 RBs in the last 17-18 years. There have been some special RBs in that time period too.

I could see him leading the league in rushing again, maybe top 3 to 5 in the country in most RB stats. He will have a good year, no doubt.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
LOLOL same $#!+ different smell with this guy always.

Fkn bozo.
You are the bozo that cant even understand anything that’s not worshipping Gundy. You and @bacowboy

Gundy said himself he wanted to limit him. That’s just the dumbest statement he could have said when you have a new QB with newer WRs. Then again, he doesn’t know the rules either so...... He should be saying we plan to lean on him when we can.

Some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Gundy isn’t this straight laced dude he wants you all to believe. And he is more than happy with being “pretty good” and has no aspiration of winning anything because he knows he isn’t good enough to get it done. Other than that, he is alright. OSU would be better off if he would just move on but he won’t because he is scared and knows he can do no wrong with most of the morons on here.

Justice Hill needs to keep getting touches until he says he is tired. Placing a “pitch count” on your star player is just dumb. Hill has no shot at the Heisman for a few reasons but the biggest is his head coach and his head coach’s inability to hype him up and give him the carries he needs. It’s comical that Gundy said Hill would be here 4 years. Lol. No way in hell that happens. Hill is gonna get out as soon as possible and rightfully so after the disaster last year. No need to stay at OSU when you can go pro because a championship isn’t coming to OSU as long as we have the weakest mental coach in the nation that can’t even run a clock out without a potential disaster.

@Rack we can raise the stakes if you want.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
You are the bozo that cant even understand anything that’s not worshipping Gundy. You and @bacowboy

Gundy said himself he wanted to limit him. That’s just the dumbest statement he could have said when you have a new QB with newer WRs. Then again, he doesn’t know the rules either so...... He should be saying we plan to lean on him when we can.

Some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Gundy isn’t this straight laced dude he wants you all to believe. And he is more than happy with being “pretty good” and has no aspiration of winning anything because he knows he isn’t good enough to get it done. Other than that, he is alright. OSU would be better off if he would just move on but he won’t because he is scared and knows he can do no wrong with most of the morons on here.

Justice Hill needs to keep getting touches until he says he is tired. Placing a “pitch count” on your star player is just dumb. Hill has no shot at the Heisman for a few reasons but the biggest is his head coach and his head coach’s inability to hype him up and give him the carries he needs. It’s comical that Gundy said Hill would be here 4 years. Lol. No way in hell that happens. Hill is gonna get out as soon as possible and rightfully so after the disaster last year. No need to stay at OSU when you can go pro because a championship isn’t coming to OSU as long as we have the weakest mental coach in the nation that can’t even run a clock out without a potential disaster.

Cool story bro. Show me in a loss last year where Justice had less than 20 touches. Against Texas he had 33 touches and 3 catches. Gundy said the same thing last year about Hill and minimizing his touches to keep him fresh, but yet he still averaged over 20 touches a game. NEXT.

I've openly scrutinized Gundy plenty of times, you on the other hand... have a vendetta like he finger banged your sister in junior high or something. Get over it.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
LOLOL same $#!+ different smell with this guy always.

Fkn bozo.

You’ll be the first person to complain about the lack of plays in the passing game. Whatever fits your narrative

I know, don’t feed the troll!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'd be willing to bet anyone a pizza that Jimmy will be blaming the "weak conference" when we exceed his expectations.

Of course being the negative nancy does allow you to always have an "I told you so" because short of winning a National Championship and going undefeated there will always be a chance to point out how we "choked in a big game."

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You’ll be the first person to complain about the lack of plays in the passing game. Whatever fits your narrative

I'm not feeding him, his feeding me Hideaway once we get to 9 wins. :)

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Gundy said himself he wanted to limit him. That’s just the dumbest statement he could have said when you have a new QB with newer WRs.
Maybe, just maybe when Gundy said that he was talking about increasing the workload for JD King, Hubbard, etc. to take some of the load off Hill instead of relying completely on the new QB/Receivers.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Meh, it's July. Nothing better to do than dog pile a troll.

Whatever goes on this season in football, Jimmy is still going to have to go through life as a pissy crybaby that get's on people's nerves.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Could it be Gundy knows his job is to win games and not just try to inflate one player's numbers to pursue an individual trophy he likely couldn't win even if he does deserve it?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

I don't think anyone on this board thinks Gundy is the best coach of all time in college football. We do, however, have a thing called perspective about our program, city, and situation over time. That perspective doesn't mean we don't have very high expectations as well and EXPECT our teams to overcome the negatives. This is because we think he and Boone and Holder have raised the bar at OSU so very high. The evidence of that is folks like you now exist in greater numbers than ever before. HCMG has said in the past that he welcomes such high expectations. As far as his character, most of us don't really know Mike, except for the evidence of evidently being able to stay in a marriage and raise decent kids (at least as far as we know). Is he flawed in some ways (Ego), yep I'm sure he is, just like we all are in this fallen world. Even Coach Sutton was very flawed and I bet you think he was just great despite having nearly the exact same levels of success that Mike Gundy has had at OSU.

As far as on the field coaching, it is really easy for us keyboard coaches to see those details after the fact. Certainly he has made some mistakes (QB selections in past I have been very critical of), but to call a 10 win season, ANY 10 win season... at ANY school "a disaster" is really short sited and arrogant. It's the attitude that got coach Solich fired at Nebraska so many years ago and sent them into a 20-year skid to the point that Oklahoma State (for one) is currently a better program NOW than is freaking Nebraska (btw, what's Gundy's record against the Huskers?).

Regarding Justice Hill, a coach is going to say what a coach says to motivate people or to mess with the media or to continue a formula that has been in place for a long time. The formula at OSU has been to play two and even three running backs in our offense, we have even done this with current NFL guys, it keeps them fresh and healthy and has worked for the entire Gundy era. He's not going to change that philosophy and frankly shouldn't when he has the two back ups that he does on this team and a track record of great success with running backs. As far as what young Mr. Hill is going to do, I would bet coach knows far more than you of his intentions. In fact, I kind of expect that Justice Hill will stay four years as well. Not because he isn't a great player, but because that has been Gundy players pattern for a while now (Washington, Rudolph, Weed, others) . The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that went early seem to turn out to be character risk guys (i.e. Blackmon, Randle, Bryant)...I can tell you without taking too many liberties, that Justice HIll is NOT one of those.

Bottom line, I really don't know if you are just a troll or really do have some sort of personal vendetta against Coach Gundy, but it's getting old and sort of just makes you look bad. If you really do care about OSU at all, I would think you would stop as it only hurts us to constantly "bedowngrade" our current head coach on a public forum, especially since he's our best (record wise) of all time.

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
We are absolutely loaded at running back this year. Why would we want to ride Justice into the ground for an individual trophy? He's the undisputed #1 and I'm sure he will get the most touches. He'll have every chance to win the Heisman. With backups like Hubbard, Brown and King we'd be insane to ride Hill like a rented mule...…..