WH announces US removal from Syria...announces turning over all US held ISIS fighters to Syria

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
I wish he would have made the same comment but added his opinion on if we should do it or not.

And, for all of the whiny congressmen, piss off. Congress is the body that declares war. If they want to continue to fight war, then, declare a damn war. All of these wars that we fight without any declaration for endless amounts of time with no national strategy are the problem.
Declare it against who?? A member of NATO?? That would be a little confusing. Syria maybe?? I guess but Russia would turn their propaganda machine against the Trump re-election campaign and he knows it, and not sure that really protects the Kurds anyway.

Truly there was only 1 answer to this Syria mess, and that would take a time machine. Right after 9/11, we should have backed Assad to the hilt. Russian's influence would have been negated by our much more valuable influence. Same with Iran. The awful civil war would have never happened, ISIS never emerges regardless of what we did in Iraq. Israel would have hated it short term, but I have to think if they could make peace with Egypt and Saudi Arabia, then a US backed Syria couldn't have been that much harder to swallow. Of course domestically the dems would have crucified Bush for backing a "dictator", but in hindsight, that seems almost laughable now.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Declare it against who?? A member of NATO?? That would be a little confusing. Syria maybe?? I guess but Russia would turn their propaganda machine against the Trump re-election campaign and he knows it, and not sure that really protects the Kurds anyway.

Truly there was only 1 answer to this Syria mess, and that would take a time machine. Right after 9/11, we should have backed Assad to the hilt. Russian's influence would have been negated by our much more valuable influence. Same with Iran. The awful civil war would have never happened, ISIS never emerges regardless of what we did in Iraq. Israel would have hated it short term, but I have to think if they could make peace with Egypt and Saudi Arabia, then a US backed Syria couldn't have been that much harder to swallow. Of course domestically the dems would have crucified Bush for backing a "dictator", but in hindsight, that seems almost laughable now.
So you are saying we should keep sending troops and money to a never ending war against a NATO member and that is hunky dory as long as we don’t actually declare that we are doing it?

Gee, any wonder when I travel around the world and talk with people they often feel we are the ones making war when our politicians have people believing we are actually trying to stop them.

Think about this, if there was some other country in the world that sold more arms than all other countries and involved themselves in more wars in a way that did not make one side win or lose but just kept the battle ongoing, would you consider those actions as altruistic foreign aide like we claim?

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
So you are saying we should keep sending troops and money to a never ending war against a NATO member and that is hunky dory as long as we don’t actually declare that we are doing it?

Gee, any wonder when I travel around the world and talk with people they often feel we are the ones making war when our politicians have people believing we are actually trying to stop them.

Think about this, if there was some other country in the world that sold more arms than all other countries and involved themselves in more wars in a way that did not make one side win or lose but just kept the battle ongoing, would you consider those actions as altruistic foreign aide like we claim?
I think people are mistaking this move as a withdrawal or “bringing our troops home” (which Trump’s team absolutely knew they would do), but it seems that we’re more or less just moving out of Erdogan's way.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not sure it's a good idea. I mean I guess if "the war" with ISIS really is over, you have to release POW's, but I would imagine there is a grace period or something. No rush Mr. President. Of course, since these are all just JV players, why would anyone on the left care other than because it's Trump. Hell the anti-war left would be raising funds right now to build a statue of Hillary if she was president and did this.

Sep 18, 2006
SEC country :(
For a refresher on how we (illegally?) got into Syria, here is an article by Mike Ford: Syria Withdrawal Part I: The Right Decision

The follow-up article discusses the different Kurdish groups in the region, and Turkey's and the US's relationship with them: Syria Withdrawal Part II: Protecting (Our) Kurds

The second article highlights that the Kurdish group in Syria is a supporter of the separatist group in Turkey, a group that the US long ago tagged a terrorist group. Below is an infographic (courtesy of the BBC) from the article, detailing the different Kurdish groups and their relationship with Turkey.

I know that Mike Ford, writing for RedState, will definitely have his bias. But, I encourage everyone to review the articles to become more knowledgeable. If you are like me, I was ignorant of the different flavors of Kurds, so I can see that we aren't exactly abandoning the Kurds as is being painted.

B7C87A33-7361-4C8B-8FD4-0E5182F3C3AF.jpg

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
1. I don’t have the necessary energy to study all the factors to make a reasoned judgement on what’s right and what’s wrong, what we should do, or not do.
2. Various Mideast Muslim, and sometimes Christian and/or Jewish religious sects have been at continuous war for hundreds of years.
3. Regardless of the current or future hotspot, the combatants will always represent at least one sorta good-guy, and at least one sorta bad-guy.
4. Unless the US is dedicated to STAY in the Mideast forever as a policeman, we will NEVER be able to withdraw without abandoning a sorta good-guy, leaving the sorta bad-guy a better chance of a short-term win. That’s NEVER.
5. I guess now is as good a time as any to withdraw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I don't personally agree with the sudden withdrawal, especially given the fact that Turkey announced a major operation against the Kurds in Northern Syria and they have been shown to have a propensity towards genocide (i.e. Armenian bloodbath of the early 20th century). It could be that the offensive will be monitored and used by Trump as justification to try to further isolate the Erdogan and apply more sanctions. But I would hope Trump wouldn't do that at the expense of the Kurds.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I don't personally agree with the sudden withdrawal, especially given the fact that Turkey announced a major operation against the Kurds in Northern Syria and they have been shown to have a propensity towards genocide (i.e. Armenian bloodbath of the early 20th century). It could be that the offensive will be monitored and used by Trump as justification to try to further isolate the Erdogan and apply more sanctions. But I would hope Trump wouldn't do that at the expense of the Kurds.
Or you know...invite Erdogan to visit the White House next month

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1181565107408646144

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Again, we are withdrawing troops from Syria's northern border. I doubt if any troops come home. I knew this would turn into a warmonger vs. Trump thing and I think Trump knew that too. Being against this decision doesn't make anyone a warmonger.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Turkey VP Fuat Oktay says today that Turkey will not bow to threats from the US over its plans in Syria

He said Turkey is intent on combating Syrian Kurdish fighters across the border in Syria and creating a zone that will allow Turkey to resettle Syrian refugees back in Syria.

He said where Turkey is concerned the country sets its own path and set their own limits

Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad today called on Kurds to join the Syrian Govt side after saying they were abandoned by their US allies.

Syria also said they will defend all Syrian territory and not accept any occupation of any land by Turkey

The Kurds in Syria said they will not hesitate to fight back against Turkish troops if attacked and Turkey's Govt labels the group as a terrorist organization.

A spokesman for the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces also released a statement saying they have lost 11,000 men fighting ISIS in Syria and invited Trump to come to their territory to see their progress but said all will be erased due to American's leaving.

https://apnews.com/150300c4f4be4142b8a0d1a44a2e3513

Last edited: