Well basketball season is almost here

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 24, 2004
Jenks, OK
They get the hoops up I get my hopes up. Difference here is I myself like Coach Boynton and the way he coaches. Just his youth, attitude and smiling wants me to watch the game. They won't win the League but they will make it interesting anyway.
This year? No they won't make anything interesting. Don't have the talent to do so, but I agree that Boynton brings a level of energy and his teams give effort.

Aug 7, 2006
This year? No they won't make anything interesting. Don't have the talent to do so, but I agree that Boynton brings a level of energy and his teams give effort.
I'm not sure lack of talent is the problem. We have some pretty good pieces, they're just mostly young guys with little experience.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Just because their names may not be known doesn't mean they don't have talent. There is a significant upgrade at the 5 position over Sima and Ngussen, which will domino other players into their natural positions. I think everyone is going to be surprised.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
We have some solid pieces with McGriff and Waters. Cunningham, Jones, and Weathers all have experience and should get better as the season progresses. I don’t have big expectations this season with the roster turnover But I hope this team protects home court, couple upsets, defeat all inferior competition and just be competitive.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We have some solid pieces with McGriff and Waters. Cunningham, Jones, and Weathers all have experience and should get better as the season progresses. I don’t have big expectations this season with the roster turnover But I hope this team protects home court, couple upsets, defeat all inferior competition and just be competitive.
If Weathers is even here.

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
Count me as one who ALWAYS looks forward to basketball season more than football. Even in 2011. The basketball team is the reason I went to Oklahoma State - I loved them from a young age - even growing up in Connecticut where I had UConn dominating in my backyard. I have always been in love with the basketball program and cannot wait for this season to tip off.

The ONLY bummer for me is, and I apologize for the uniform talk... but boy do I wish we would go back to that cut we had back when JL3 and JamesOn Curry were here. That uniform was so beautiful and so unique to us (it was even called "Stillwater" in the Nike uniform catalog). I know we wore a version of it a few times last year, but I really wish we would just go back to it full time. Not even a knock against our current uniforms - I just love that uniform so much.

Anywho... I digress. Cannot wait for this basketball season! Go Pokes!

Sep 23, 2010
Our guard play is such an unknown. Weathers, Jones, LIkele, Cunningham are all wildcards. Cunningham and Weathers have produced at lower levels. Likele was one of our better performers this summer and Jones seems to be the most talented. Waters is a good role player, and Dizzy is kind of a one trick pony. We know McGriff is a good player. Then our freshmen frontcourt players are even a larger mystery.

But...I think back to Tubby Smith rolling with a very young team and taking his lumps at Tech when they were freshmen. Then he handed off a very experienced group off to Beard and a program with a good foundation to build off of.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
There a a lot of unknowns, but one thing is for certain is that this team will fight like heck for every inch of gain. It's what the coach demands of them, and that's what I love about our current basketball program. It makes them fun to watch and easy to root for.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Well then... there is always 2019 football season to look forward to...

yeah, that's it.... can we just write off the rest of this season, the entire BB season, and fast forward to 2019?

at least that seems to be the majority sentiment that I'm reading

how about deer season? What are your expectations for deer season?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
It's back to the way when I was a student in the late 60's and early 70's. The two biggies (football and basketball) suck but wrestling and golf are world class. There have been better times to be a Cowboy. What a disappointment 2018 is.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Basketball sucks? Are you kidding me? We have a lot to look forward too. We have an awesome coach who has brought in a bunch on new talent. The people being negative because they don't know who the knew players are, are just being negative Nancy's. I'm not saying we are going to win the Big 12 or anything but if you take an objective look at the program today compared to where it was the year underwood left things are definitely going in the right direction. They have reduced the tickets in the 300s to 1/2 what they where last year (just so everyone knows you can get a pretty good season ticket in the 300 for $250.00) a bargain for the amount of games they play. Everyone needs to go check out our team and support this program

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Basketball sucks? Are you kidding me? We have a lot to look forward too. We have an awesome coach who has brought in a bunch on new talent. The people being negative because they don't know who the knew players are, are just being negative Nancy's. I'm not saying we are going to win the Big 12 or anything but if you take an objective look at the program today compared to where it was the year underwood left things are definitely going in the right direction. They have reduced the tickets in the 300s to 1/2 what they where last year (just so everyone knows you can get a pretty good season ticket in the 300 for $250.00) a bargain for the amount of games they play. Everyone needs to go check out our team and support this program
so... they're expecting the season to be soo bad that they are already discounting tickets...... got cha... check.

Seriously, I'm anxious to see these guys play, and hope that HCMB can work a miracle, but that is exactly what it would be.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
so... they're expecting the season to be soo bad that they are already discounting tickets...... got cha... check.
Complains that ticket prices are too high, then suspects a crappy season when ticket prices come down..ahhh message boards!!
hope that HCMB can work a miracle, but that is exactly what it would be.
I guess it depends what your expectations are, but I'm way more optimistic than you...hope I'm right

Mar 8, 2010
While I really like MB and think the basketball program is headed in the right direction, you can't seriously think that we'll compete for a Big XII title in 2018/19! As fans, we've been spoiled lately in football and some of us can still remember the days when Eddie usually had us playing for titles in basketball. Ain't gonna happen this year in either sport. Can't wait for wrestling season to get here. I still look forward to OSU's next game regardless of what sport, but my expectations just aren't very high in terms of being relevant in either football or basketball.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
you can't seriously think that we'll compete for a Big XII title in 2018/19!
My post clearly says "I'm not saying we are going to win the Big 12 or anything". I just think there is reason for optimism. Some seem to be writing off the season before it has even started, before they have even seen the new players on the court, just seems crazy to me. I understand that the Ford era has left many people sour on basketball, and I understand that, but HCMB has us playing "Cowboy basketball" again. We should all be thankful for that.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Complains that ticket prices are too high, then suspects a crappy season when ticket prices come down..ahhh message boards!!

I guess it depends what your expectations are, but I'm way more optimistic than you...hope I'm right
I never complained about ticket prices.... BB or FB

and I'm the most optimistic guy in the room... but at the end of the day there is still possible and probable