Week 8 Big 12 power rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
1. WVU-based on resume, it is the clear one at this point. Defense held TT in Lubbock to 17 points, and held 4th rated offense in country(TCU) scoreless in 2nd half and below 20 points for 1st time since 2013. It was TCU's worse loss since joing the Big 12, and TT said the WVU spanking was its worse loss in Lubbock ever(not biggest point margin but worse loss nonetheless).

WVU can throw, run, qb can run, and it has a great defense.

2. Baylor-SMU win now looks better, and they have a win over Oklahoma State.

3. OU-they have zero defense, but they beat Kstate. Losses to Houston and Ohio State look worse now.

4. KState-Kstate has a win over Texas, and losses were all on road to wvu, ou, and stanford.

5. Oklahoma State-wins over Pitt and Texas, but something isnt quite right. Home loss to CMU and struggled against paperweight Kansas for a half. That said, Gundy is a good coach, and OSU has good talent.

6. TCU-2 weeks off and WVU thumps you? Wins over?? Losses to OU and Arkansas look worse now.

7. Texas tech-Took OU to wire, and have best qb in country.

8. Texas-beat Notre Dame and Iowa State

9. Iowa State-loss to texas looks worse.

10. Kansas- could Kansas beat Tulane?

Jul 15, 2004
A few thoughts:
I'd like to see a bottom feeder bowl. KU vs. Rutgers (KU wins outright if healthy?) or KU vs. Mizzou.
Throw ISU against Vandy or Kentucky, or SC... all those schools are getting wins out of conference in the middle of the season.
How would you like to be Michigan State this year? Boy would this fan base be howling!
If you want to win in the $EC you have to scuttle all morals and find ways to stretch the bounds of ethics and morals (is that how a proper Southern Gentlemen would say it?), otherwise you're cannon fodder for the ethically challenged. BUT you get to brag that you're cannon fodder in the $EC $EC $EC...
How nice is it to get two off weeks in a season? One true off week, then get to play Middle Tennessee State and play mostly second teamers. But NO NETWORK, especially espn, will call them out on that PERK!!!
The big problem with the Big XII is 1) get two teams or change the name - psych 101 = own up to who you are and 2) Lousy PR coming from the overpaid mouthpiece in the Big XII office... spin it like the $ec. Call out the BS. Be an advocate!

Vent fini...

bs_21_goat

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
May 12, 2010
Santa Barbara
don't have any major problems with rankings but whoever 'said' your victory over TT in Lubbock was their worst ever must not have been alive a few years ago for our 66-6 beatdown of the Techtards in Lubbock.

Sep 9, 2013
don't have any major problems with rankings but whoever 'said' your victory over TT in Lubbock was their worst ever must not have been alive a few years ago for our 66-6 beatdown of the Techtards in Lubbock.
It was the site admin for scout texas tech. he explained why the loss to WVU was worse than a few other losses to OU. It had to do with circumstances and state of program. He said loss to wvu was their worst ever in lubbock and explained why. he did mention worse margin of victory losses, but said they were not as bad given the factors around them.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'd bet big piles of money on OU to beat Baylor. I think we'll end up ahead of KSU, but I'm not going to get too keyed up yet. We have our chance to prove ourselves in the next couple of weeks.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
1. WVU-based on resume, it is the clear one at this point. Defense held TT in Lubbock to 17 points, and held 4th rated offense in country(TCU) scoreless in 2nd half and below 20 points for 1st time since 2013. It was TCU's worse loss since joing the Big 12, and TT said the WVU spanking was its worse loss in Lubbock ever(not biggest point margin but worse loss nonetheless).

WVU can throw, run, qb can run, and it has a great defense.

2. Baylor-SMU win now looks better, and they have a win over Oklahoma State.

3. OU-they have zero defense, but they beat Kstate. Losses to Houston and Ohio State look worse now.

4. KState-Kstate has a win over Texas, and losses were all on road to wvu, ou, and stanford.

5. Oklahoma State-wins over Pitt and Texas, but something isnt quite right. Home loss to CMU and struggled against paperweight Kansas for a half. That said, Gundy is a good coach, and OSU has good talent.

6. TCU-2 weeks off and WVU thumps you? Wins over?? Losses to OU and Arkansas look worse now.

7. Texas tech-Took OU to wire, and have best qb in country.

8. Texas-beat Notre Dame and Iowa State

9. Iowa State-loss to texas looks worse.

10. Kansas- could Kansas beat Tulane?
I mostly agree. Might flip us and KSU since we dominate UT and KSU barely held on yesterday. Our true test will be next week.

Sep 9, 2013
I think Oklahoma State is WVU's toughest game left bc it's in Stillwater. Better for WVU for weather to be cold, worse for us if super hot.

I think the game will come down to whether Oklahoma State can force WVU to throw. Of course turnovers could decide it(see PSU > Ohio State). It really helps that the kickoff is 11 am. The crowd should be half asleep.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I think Oklahoma State is WVU's toughest game left bc it's in Stillwater. Better for WVU for weather to be cold, worse for us if super hot.

I think the game will come down to whether Oklahoma State can force WVU to throw. Of course turnovers could decide it(see PSU > Ohio State). It really helps that the kickoff is 11 am. The crowd should be half asleep.
Our crowds are half asleep as a general rule, and after halftime whether we're playing good or bad, or are behind or ahead, the crowd that shows up will be mostly gone.

I beg to differ on one point you made. wvu can't pass. They have average ability at best to throw. What you have is a very good defense, a coach who's figured out that running the ball is an asset which takes pressure off of a lousy QB and average passing game. Your OL gives you a chance offensively every game in spite of your QB.

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
West Virginia - I will put them up top due to their better Strength of schedule overall. Big test in Stillwater on Saturday.

Baylor - The Bears have the better win between the unbeatens, but the rest of the schedule is bad.

Oklahoma State - Strong 2nd half by the pokes to take care of KU. IMO the season shaper on Homecoming this weekend.

Oklahoma - The defense got torched, but Baker, Mixon, and Westbrook got it done for the W.

Kansas State - The cats grinded out a win over Texas is Snyder fashion.

TCU - Coming off a rough day in Morgantown...TCU will host Texas Tech next.

Texas - Another 3-4 start for UT with Baylor on deck.

Texas Tech - Mahomes and the offense were fantastic...the defense was just the opposite.

Iowa State - Coming off the bye week. ISU hosts the wildcats.

Kansas - Continues to play hard for Beatty...OSU was too much in the second half.

Oct 30, 2012
1- WVU: can't take anything away from these guys. Been playing really good football! If the pokes take them down this weekend, I see us winning out.

2- Baylor: Have to put them here because of their win against OSU. But I see them losing 2 games.

3- Oklahoma State: OSU has the talent to win out, if they can win this weekend I think they will.

4- Oklahoma: have to put them here because of their offense. If you can slow mixon down and bracket westrbook, their in trouble.

5. TCU: Tcu is a young team (on offense) and its showing. They could be really good next year.

6- Kstate: Really close with tech.

7- Tech: If this team had a defense ranked in the top 40, they might be a top 5 team in the country. That offense is unreal, with a very young OL.

8- Texas: Texas is just a weird team. I could very well see them beating baylor.

9- Iowa State: This team is scary. Just a few plays away from beating OSU and baylor. Their new HC has them playing hard. Watch out for these guys in the next couple years.

10- Kansas: Like Iowa State, their HC has them playing very hard. I like the direction he's taking this team.

Apr 7, 2006
I think you're pretty spot on. OSU has beaten the bottom of the league and hasn't looked great doing it. OU has at least beaten a couple middle of the road teams, but hasn't looked good against anyone but KState.

Oct 30, 2012
I think you're pretty spot on. OSU has beaten the bottom of the league and hasn't looked great doing it. OU has at least beaten a couple middle of the road teams, but hasn't looked good against anyone but KState.
Problem is, you have to judge this based on the current. Ou is extremely banged up! They are very thin at LB and DL. Perine is hurt and they've also lost a starter on the OL. The safety, Parker is also banged up and has to come out atleast once per game. Their in bad shape. If they were playing baylor or WVU this weekend, it'd be an L.