Week 11 Big 12 Power Rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 27, 2011
I'm going to laugh when a 12-1 Oklahoma team gets left out of the CFP for a 11-1 Alabama team. I couldn't blame the committee if they did that though because LSU is a much better loss than Kansas State.
Except who has Bama beaten? Right now a bunch of weak teams like Arkansas, South Carolina, Duke, etc and no quality wins.

Their only good win is projected 8-4 Auburn.

OU will have UT, hypothetically Baylor, hypothetically OSU, ISU, and whoever makes the title game again. Not even close

Also that “quality loss” to LSU was one where they never had the ball with a chance to take the lead in the 4th quarter. So not THAT close.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
If there are 5 teams that are undefeated or 5 teams with 1-loss, someone is going to get left out. They are going to get left out because a committee left them out, for whatever reasons. There is no way to actually play into the tournament, unlike basketball and other sports where winning your conference/tournament gets you in and thus every team has a shot at being included.
That's true. But I don't think there have ever been 5 undefeated teams, have there? There are often more 1-loss teams than slots left after the undefeated teams are in.

But that's exactly what I'm talking about, how to decide which 1-loss teams deserve to be in. If the goal is to prove on the field who is the single best team, it doesn't make any sense to put Alabama in. LSU has already proven that they are better than Alabama. So putting Alabama into the playoff doesn't help clarify which team is the best, it can only cloud that picture. It's a wasted opportunity. LSU has not shown that they are better than OU or Oregon. So either of them (assuming 1 loss) should go.

The point is with just a 4-team playoff you have very few opportunities to settle things on the field between teams at the top. So you should take advantage of what has already been settled. That includes non-conference games, conference games, and conference championships. If your goal is to reward the four teams with the best resume, then you might do it differently. It's possible LSU, Alabama, and Georgia are three of the best four teams. But even so, putting them all into the playoff doesn't help the goal of proving on the field who is the best team. The SEC can sort out for us who is the best of those three. And then we can see if that team is really better than the Clemson/tOSU/OU/Oregon.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Except who has Bama beaten? Right now a bunch of weak teams like Arkansas, South Carolina, Duke, etc and no quality wins.

OU will have UT, hypothetically Baylor, hypothetically OSU, ISU, and whoever makes the title game again. Not even close

Also that “quality loss” to LSU was one where they never had the ball with a chance to take the lead in the 4th quarter. So not THAT close.
LSU had the ball in the 4th quarter and scored. I don't think you can honestly say that OU would beat Bama at this point. Bama lost by 5 to arguably the best team in the country. Lets call a spade a spade, OU "should" have 2 losses right now and I think a lot of people would agree with that. I don't think the "being a conference champ" argument is that strong. Teams have made it before and ND made it last year and they don't even play in a conference.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I am not quite sure why everyone is acting like Coach Log and his goon team will win out. They are on a serious down swing, they are in danger of going full Brownie. It might not happen, but I would not be putting money on them to cover, much less win on the road. Rayplor, the Horny Toads and O-State are not good outs for them. With two of the three being on the road it's going to get bumpy unless they go into the bedpan on the brazos and stomp a mudhole in rayplor.

Oct 9, 2004
Yukon, OK
www.evilface.com
I am not quite sure why everyone is acting like Coach Log and his goon team will win out. They are on a serious down swing, they are in danger of going full Brownie. It might not happen, but I would not be putting money on them to cover, much less win on the road. Rayplor, the Horny Toads and O-State are not good outs for them. With two of the three being on the road it's going to get bumpy unless they go into the bedpan on the brazos and stomp a mudhole in rayplor.
I can seriously see OSU taking them down this year.

Oct 27, 2011

LSU had the ball in the 4th quarter and scored.
Bama had no opportunities with the ball in the second half with any chance to take the lead or tie. That isn’t any closer than OU’s game Vs them last year or Texas Vs LSU.

I don't think you can honestly say that OU would beat Bama at this point. Bama lost by 5 to arguably the best team in the country.
By that same logic Texas should be a heavy favorite to OU since they similarly only lost to LSU by a TD or less... oh wait!

Lets call a spade a spade, OU "should" have 2 losses right now and I think a lot of people would agree with that. I don't think the "being a conference champ" argument is that strong. Teams have made it before and ND made it last year and they don't even play in a conference.
Bama has beaten NO ONE. Playing LSU close and maybe beating an eventual 4 loss Auburn team isn’t a ticket to the playoff.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Bama had no opportunities with the ball in the second half with any chance to take the lead or tie. That isn’t any closer than OU’s game Vs them last year or Texas Vs LSU.

By that same logic Texas should be a heavy favorite to OU since they similarly only lost to LSU by a TD or less... oh wait!

Bama has beaten NO ONE. Playing LSU close and maybe beating an eventual 4 loss Auburn team isn’t a ticket to the playoff.
OU already beat Texas so that doesn’t even make sense. All I’m saying is Bama is still one of the best teams and I wouldn’t be surprised one bit to see them make it.

Oct 27, 2011

OU already beat Texas so that doesn’t even make sense. All I’m saying is Bama is still one of the best teams and I wouldn’t be surprised one bit to see them make it.
1- My LSU Vs Bama and UT comparison is pointing out how dumb the “quality loss” idea is.

2- If conference championships, quality wins, and SOS matter they won’t make it. The other teams in contention will add more quality wins and they won’t. I doubt they get any higher than where they are now.

They have exactly one win over a P5 team with a winning record- 13 points Vs A&M who is 6-4 and will likely end up 6-6 or 7-5. Everyone else is hoping to be .500 or is the Arkansas dumpster fire.

Beating a mediocre aggy by 13 and beating a 4 loss Auburn team isn’t a playoff resume no matter how bad you beat up on the jv squads.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
1- My LSU Vs Bama and UT comparison is pointing out how dumb the “quality loss” idea is.

2- If conference championships, quality wins, and SOS matter they won’t make it. The other teams in contention will add more quality wins and they won’t. I doubt they get any higher than where they are now.

They have exactly one win over a P5 team with a winning record- 13 points Vs A&M who is 6-4 and will likely end up 6-6 or 7-5. Everyone else is hoping to be .500 or is the Arkansas dumpster fire.

Beating a mediocre aggy by 13 and beating a 4 loss Auburn team isn’t a playoff resume no matter how bad you beat up on the jv squads.
"But... Alabama!"
-- CFP committee

Oct 30, 2007
Only way bama makes the CFP is if LSU loses 2 of 3 and bama makes the sec champ game and beats UGA.
The committee has asked the sec to have Georgia win out, bama win out, and LSU lose to Georgia in the sec champ. They will then put three sec teams in the playoff. They have not yet figured out how to get four but will if they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk