Weathers, Calloo and K. Jones all charged UPDATED

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 4, 2016
florida
did you do the math correctly on that? Weathers missed games, Cunningham wasn't eligible, Big Kent has been suspended.

Sure the total min/game may be correct, but don't those numbers overlap? Meaning some of them got minutes because the others were out?

Is that total season minutes played divided by total games on the schedule so far? That would be the min/game that would need to be back filled.
https://okstate.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball&

This came off the OKSTATE.COM basketball page

Click on the INDIVIDUAL STATS button

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
did you do the math correctly on that? Weathers missed games, Cunningham wasn't eligible, Big Kent has been suspended.

Sure the total min/game may be correct, but don't those numbers overlap? Meaning some of them got minutes because the others were out?

Is that total season minutes played divided by total games on the schedule so far? That would be the min/game that would need to be back filled.
You are correct. Look at the West Virginia game. That is probably closer to the minute distribution going forward.

Curtis Jones is going to have to pick up about 10 more minutes. Trey and Demuth will each get about 3-5 more. Anei staying out of foul trouble would really help and could take some of the extra minutes for Demuth and Trey.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa

In 5 Big 12 games Jones played 5 minutes total and Cunningham played zero minutes.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
We should hold off questioning HCMB recruiting of these guys. Most don't recall but Averette, Sima, N'Guessan, and Shine all were somewhat surprise exits well after the season ended. Coach had to scramble and at that point pickings are slim on quality players so you take the best you can get. None of these guys had red flags in high school.

The guys he has had time to develop relationships with and vet all seems to be pretty good character kids.
This right here. I don't understand how someone can suggest that we need to evaluate kids better, when recruiting.

Here's the deal: if they haven't gotten in trouble with the cops...and they don't have any dings on their school record...then there's not much evaluation that can be done beyond that. What are the coaches supposed to do, question every single friend and family member of each recruit and ask them, "have they ever, for instance, shot windows out with BB guns?"...?

Coach B had to fill some unexpectedly empty roster slots, and had to do it in a quick manner. I don't question his, or anyone else's judgment, one bit. Every single recruit out there, technically, is someone you're taking a chance on. What happens after they sign papers and officially become a player is generally unpredictable.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Weather's-Stings pretty bad in the short term but is probably a blessing in the long term.

Jones-Non Factor: He was not contributing and seemed to be more of a distraction than his contribution was worth.

Calloo-This one sucks! This is a big kid with good hands who was just getting adjusted to this level of basketball. He was going to really help this program in the next 3 years.

In a lot of ways this incident makes this season go from feeling like the beginning of a rebuild to just a complete waste.

Anei and Likelele are getting experience, but other than that there's not much to take away from this year so far.
And that's perfectly fine! This is truly Mike B's first year coaching (last year he still had someone else's recruits). It is a throwaway year, generally speaking. All I'm worried about is our guys getting more experience.

As I said in a previous post, this opens up another roster/recruiting spot, and I fully expect Coach B to make a splash and shock everyone again. He's going to reel in another borderline three/four star, just watch...

Mar 8, 2010
Just think what a great movie it would make if the son of a Cowboy legend, walk-on Trey Reeves, could somehow step up and be a valuable sixth man off the bench and emotionally lead this team to a winning season. But back to reality, this just prepares us better for next year when help is on the way. We weren't really going to have a good season this year anyway. Now MB has an opportunity to make a statement with his version of the Cowboy Culture and in the long run, we're much better off. Don't think that our HC has learned some valuable lessons in making offers to future recruits also. I like our coach even more after this.

Mar 8, 2010
The last sentence of my last post has a typo, should have been "hasn't" (i.e. be assured that MB has learned a valuable lesson in recruiting, even though you'll never know for sure how 19-20 year old kids are going to turn out sometimes.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Anybody on here think they can still hoop and have any eligibility left? :thumbup:

OSU basketball: Cowboys to host open walk-on tryouts Thursday night

by Nathan Ruiz
Published: Thu, January 17, 2019 9:20 AM Updated: Thu, January 17, 2019 9:22 AM

With three players dismissed Wednesday and four total lost in the past two weeks, the Oklahoma State basketball team is down to nine players and, as a result, is looking to add numbers however it can.
The team announced Thursday morning that it will host open walk-on tryouts at 6 p.m. Thursday. To be eligible, students must be full-time OSU students, be within their five-year NCAA eligibility window (meaning they enrolled in the fall of 2014 or later), have proof of health insurance and have undergone a physical in the past six months.
Wednesday, redshirt sophomore guard Michael Weathers and freshman forwards Maurice Calloo and Kentrevious Jones were dismissed from the team. Last week, graduate transfer Mike Cunningham left the program. The exits give OSU nine players heading into Saturday's game at Iowa State. One of those, freshman Luke Major, is a walk-on, while junior Trey Reeves is a former walk-on.
Many of the Cowboys' practices involve 5-on-5 drills. With nine players, OSU coach Mike Boynton joked Wednesday that he or his assistant coaches will likely have to hop in.

https://newsok.com/article/5620532/...lk-on-tryouts-thursday-night?custom_click=rss

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
Anybody on here think they can still hoop and have any eligibility left? :thumbup:

OSU basketball: Cowboys to host open walk-on tryouts Thursday night

by Nathan Ruiz
Published: Thu, January 17, 2019 9:20 AM Updated: Thu, January 17, 2019 9:22 AM

With three players dismissed Wednesday and four total lost in the past two weeks, the Oklahoma State basketball team is down to nine players and, as a result, is looking to add numbers however it can.
The team announced Thursday morning that it will host open walk-on tryouts at 6 p.m. Thursday. To be eligible, students must be full-time OSU students, be within their five-year NCAA eligibility window (meaning they enrolled in the fall of 2014 or later), have proof of health insurance and have undergone a physical in the past six months.
Wednesday, redshirt sophomore guard Michael Weathers and freshman forwards Maurice Calloo and Kentrevious Jones were dismissed from the team. Last week, graduate transfer Mike Cunningham left the program. The exits give OSU nine players heading into Saturday's game at Iowa State. One of those, freshman Luke Major, is a walk-on, while junior Trey Reeves is a former walk-on.
Many of the Cowboys' practices involve 5-on-5 drills. With nine players, OSU coach Mike Boynton joked Wednesday that he or his assistant coaches will likely have to hop in.

https://newsok.com/article/5620532/...lk-on-tryouts-thursday-night?custom_click=rss
This is cool and can literally change lives. I remember when I was a freshman at Oklahoma State, a kid who played on my high school team and literally saw maybe five minutes a game was a freshman at UConn. They were really good that year but had some behavior issues like we have had this year and literally did the same thing. He told me nobody took the call for walk-ons serious and, long story short, he ended up walking on to the team. Ended up playing all four years and even saw minutes sparingly his senior season. No matter his skill set, he will now ALWAYS be an alum of UConn basketball and can carry that title for his life.

If you are a student reading this, get your ass to tryouts!

Sep 23, 2010
They might want to get Joey Graham over there to help them out with some practices. He lives in Stillwater. I think IMAC (looked out of shape last time I saw him) lives there too. Any younger alum living in Stillwater.

Aug 16, 2012
They might want to get Joey Graham over there to help them out with some practices. He lives in Stillwater. I think IMAC (looked out of shape last time I saw him) lives there too. Any younger alum living in Stillwater.
I remember Alabama getting flak for having alums on the football scout squad. Was that ever determined to be legit or has it been nixed by the NCAA? If legit, by all means, get some folks.

I mentioned earlier, our point guard in something like 83-84 was Jay Davis who was playing at the Colvin Center and was a HS teammate of Bill Self. Self tried to get him to walk on when he (Self) was a player and as a GA, he finally convinced him. Davis ended up replacing the regular point guard and had a pretty decent season.

Sep 24, 2006
Edmond
I remember Alabama getting flak for having alums on the football scout squad. Was that ever determined to be legit or has it been nixed by the NCAA? If legit, by all means, get some folks.

I mentioned earlier, our point guard in something like 83-84 was Jay Davis who was playing at the Colvin Center and was a HS teammate of Bill Self. Self tried to get him to walk on when he (Self) was a player and as a GA, he finally convinced him. Davis ended up replacing the regular point guard and had a pretty decent season.
It is the first week of classes. Is it too late for a couple of DII or NAIA kids to transfer in and walkon?

Last edited: